Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

Who ya got?

Pavlik vs Taylor Poll.

3K views 66 replies 22 participants last post by  BigDigga 
#1 ·
Who has everyone got in this one and why?

#3 ·
One thing for sure, Pavlik will come forward and Taylor will back up.Taylor will still eat right hands, and he's proven he can't take them. This rematch is too soon for Taylor to improve enough to win.

Besides, I just can't feature Taylor, a good fighter, but that's all, beating Pavlik, a fighter on the verge of greatness. Pavlik will walk him down again and end it in a similar fashion.

#4 ·
pavlik's not going to change anything, and he shouldn't. just keep coming forward throwing punches like he's always been doing. taylor will be backed up again, but as long as he doesn't draw straight back i think he'll see the final bell. i think saying taylor can't take a punch is way off being that it took a good number of rights to wear him down. it wasn't just one punch that got him out of there it was an accumlation of shots.

my head says pavlik, but i'm going with taylor by decision. i think he can turn the tables.....better yet i hope he can.

#5 ·
I didn't mean to imply that he couldn't take a punch, but that he couldn't take many of them, and I think he will take many of them again. Unless he......moves his head, moves his feet, and circles instead up backing up, well heck that's another fighter all together. :laugh:

#12 ·
getting back to the basics =

1. sound footwork(circling, side to side movement)

2. mixing up punches(taylor fell in love with his hooks during the fight)

3. conditioning, conditioning, conditioning(it's not going to improve much imo, but taylor being more relaxed will help alot)

#14 ·
that was a joke but yes in my opinion he walked in at a time when the competition was not what it is now. Also before you bring up Hopkins he Taylor has a good style match up, size and pace for Hopkins.He has good size ,skill,power seem to me he lacks heart and desire.But over all I belive he is average

#16 ·
I'm taking Pavlik by stoppage around 6-8 for a very simple reason. Pavlik beat Taylor the first time due to bad habits that Taylor has shown for years. I think Taylor is going to be thinking too much, worried about getting his head blown off again. I'm accepting all bets for this fight.

#27 · (Edited)
lets be real here. there's truth to what chincheckmate said(by they way welcome to the site!).
the high ko percentage is partly due to being matched up with a lot of blown up welters and jr middles coming up just like jermain was for a bit. the only difference is that team taylor opted to go for the title early. pavlik got to hone his craft properly fighting "gimmes" while taylor struggled against top competition. some learn to fight well fighting the best competition(which taylor did not) and some learn to fight well constantly beating lesser opponents(which pavlik did longer and taylor didn't do long enough). i think the perfect scenario for a fighter is a combination of the 2 personally. dibella rushed taylor which was bad and arum brought pavlik along slowly which was good.

this is why kelly turned out to be a technically superior boxer, and taylor still has a bunch of flaws imo. yeah, kelly will have his doubters, but he has solid fundamentals to rely on with good power and decent chin. that equals staying power;)

like i said i'm sticking with taylor by decision. i think just being more relaxed will greaten his chances significantly. hopefully, he be able to do so.

#20 ·
Pavlik is gonna KO Taylor even quicker this time.

Taylor used alot of nervous energy last time in the openning rounds - really showed how nervous he was.
Is he gonna be anymore confident this time after getting Ko'd heavily last time-out? I seriously doubt it.

Kelly Pavlik is going to be a hard man to stop and could be a champion for years - Taylor certainly isn't going to be the man to stop him.

#21 ·
Pavlik is gonna KO Taylor even quicker this time.

Taylor used alot of nervous energy last time in the openning rounds - really showed how nervous he was.
Is he gonna be anymore confident this time after getting Ko'd heavily last time-out? I seriously doubt it.

Kelly Pavlik is going to be a hard man to stop and could be a champion for years - Taylor certainly isn't going to be the man to stop him.
I agree, especially in the middleweight and super middle divisions. as long as he isn't struggleing to make 160 I can see him making a few successful defenses there.

#26 ·
or maybe, Pavlik wont make the same mistake and get caught like the first time :D
I think, if Taylor is going to win hes gonna be more cautious and try to box pavlik for a decision..He was well ahead in the first fight(even though I disagreed with the judges, I had it the same way Lederman had pavlik winning by 1 point:dunno:)

I think any of these outcomes is possible.. I voted pavlik by stoppage, but I'm not secure, and I really don't know if I'm going to bet high this time

#31 ·
the worst part is all the trash he talked before the fight. He walkes around like he comes to the ring and bets guys up but his real style is very boring and predictable.He lacks confidence so he acts like a tough guy.
this is very noticeable. i think hopkins was the first to really point that out. too bad hopkins waited too long to get going against him. he gave him too much respect.

#33 ·
I'm blown away with the lack of respect here for Jermain. 1- He beat Hopkins a hard guy to figure out and look good against...TWICE!!! 2- He fought to a draw with Winky...another hard guy to figure out and look good against (I had him winning on cleaner punches and effective aggression)...3- He put pavlik on his a()() in the second round, if he had more time Pavlik would be re-starting from scratch...Taylor was criticized for looking bad in fights where his opponents came to the ring for track meets instead of boxing matches. This man is athletically superior to Pavlik and beat him handily when they were amatuers. All in all I think he deserves some respect. HE WAS WINNING THE FIRST FIGHT AND ALMOST KO'D PAVLIK. ANYONE CAN GET KNOCKED OUT!!!

#34 ·
Had more time against Pavlik??? He had a full minute after he knocked him down from what I recall. Most on here had him lossing to Hopkins at least once! I would say a little less then half had him lossing to Winky. Some on here even had him lossing to Spinks. Ouma, a blown up 147 pounder, took every single shot your "superior althete" had to offer and keep coming. Of course he is not getting no respect here.:laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.