Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
41 - 60 of 116 Posts
Discussion starter · #41 ·
I say he had fantastic reflexes and talent, but much like Patterson, lacked the chin. He pulled a Tyson when he hit Griffin on the ground.

Shoot, I have Tyson as my number one because he to me is the most entertaining boxer, he works hard in the gym, he has heart, and just an inspiration to me. Who can really argue with that?..

One thing I never did understand were the people who said Mike doesn't have a good chin. the fights with Razor Ruddick and Buster Douglas should prove otherwise. I don't care how big of a puncher Buster was supposibly the fact Mike didn't go down in the 9th was crazy. he took bombs every round in that fight and still made it to the tenth. hell he took bombs from Lewis and made it to the eighth. I don't see anyone knocking Mike out under 5 or maybe 6 in Mike's prime, not even Foreman.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Shoot, I have Tyson as my number one because he to me is the most entertaining boxer, he works hard in the gym, he has heart, and just an inspiration to me. Who can really argue with that?..
He didn't have hear in my book. You could litterally see the fight go out of him when Holyfield dropped him, the same happened when Douglas was beating him. Everytime Tyson was hit back after he gave his best, the fight went out of him. He is sort of lucky that Bonecrusher Smith only hit him and made an effort to win in the 12th round. Smith hit him with a good shot and the fight was taken out of Tyson. I hope he's not an inspiration as a person to you, because if he is...I would suggest looking for a different one, he is a bad person.

I would characterize Tyson's career as short and brilliant, but would just barely put him in the top ten. For "greatness" I like to see it displayed over time. Tyson didn't. Also, the level of competition was questionable. We'll never know how much heart he really had because we never saw him in a war or get up from a knock down. As Bill stated, all his tough fights he lost.
I guess you don't have to go through adversity to be labled great but it helps.

A Prime Ali, Holmes, or other master boxer would have given him fits.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
I would characterize Tyson's career as short and brilliant, but would just barely put him in the top ten. For "greatness" I like to see it displayed over time. Tyson didn't. Also, the level of competition was questionable. We'll never know how much heart he really had because we never saw him in a war or get up from a knock down. As Bill stated, all his tough fights he lost.
I guess you don't have to go through adversity to be labled great but it helps.

A Prime Ali, Holmes, or other master boxer would have given him fits.
I agree. I find it hard to rate Tyson in the top 10 when his 2 best wins were against, rusty, older, shot versions of what once were great fighters. As for the other guys Tyson beat during his reign, they weren't nearly as close as they would have been had they not been older and weren't destroyed and lazy due to drugs.

i agree with rayman for the most part. the only reason why mike makes the top 10 imo opinion is the impact he had on the sport across the board. as far as the fight going out of tyson, that happened after the spinks fight when rooney got canned. if you watched mike' fights against williams and the first bruno fight you should've noticed that he was starting to move less. he started getting hit more because of this, and when the conditioning went that was all she wrote for "iron" mike. he just became tyson at that point being there was nothing "iron" about him without conditioning to back up his speed and power. i remember telling anyone that would listen that mike's going to lose after watching the first bruno fight. back then, i thought it would have been holyfield to give him first "l" not douglas.

Discussion starter · #48 ·
I think that Tyson would eventually, everyone does that lasts longer than they should, or has an off night at the wrong time (Tyson against Douglas). If you get a guy that is tall and mobile with a good jab, chances are he can give Tyson trouble if he is skilled and good enough. Or even if you turn it into a wild brawl, I think you could take Tyson. Tyson's biggest thing was his defence, that wouldn't come into play nearly as much if your toe to toe slugging it out.

tyson was always there to be taken that much i'll agree to. which is why it was a good thing he had a great chin to fall back on. the speed in which he was delivering his power was flat out overwhelming. a prime tyson always drew first blood, and if he didn't he'd bleed you dry with his next connection.

The only Reason you could ever put him as number one is about entertainment and because hes the last Heavyweight with true worldwide recognition...In some countries ppl have no idea of whos the HW champion and when they do answer the question many say Mike tyson...

Some ppl say hes number one because he was unstopable in his prime, but come on his prime lasted less than 5 years and if we are gonna think that way, how about Rocky Marciano?? he was undefeated and he fought everybody he could have...

Bert Sugar dont rate him among the top10, and neither do I

and I AM a Tyson fan

Discussion starter · #51 ·
The only Reason you could ever put him as number one is about entertainment and because hes the last Heavyweight with true worldwide recognition...In some countries ppl have no idea of whos the HW champion and when they do answer the question many say Mike tyson...

Some ppl say hes number one because he was unstopable in his prime, but come on his prime lasted less than 5 years and if we are gonna think that way, how about Rocky Marciano?? he was undefeated and he fought everybody he could have...

Bert Sugar dont rate him among the top10, and neither do I

and I AM a Tyson fan
FINALLY!!! A TYSON FAN WHO DOESN'T HAVE TYSON IN THE TOP 10!!!:D:thumbsup::D:thumbsup:

Well you have to put yourself in his shoes when you say he's a bad person, some people say they can handle his sitautions better, I say your lying. He talks from the heart when he says other people made him the way he is, me personally I just give him respect where its due.

Discussion starter · #53 ·
But Tyson himself is a lyer. He put himself into the positions he's in now. He was the one that was driving drunk and had the drugs. He was the one that would beat old ladies up in elevators. People say that Cus D'Amato kept him undercontrol. He didn't, he just covered up for Mike.

I don't rate Tyson The # 1 Heavyweight of all time... but the Mike Tyson of the 80s (or to be specific... his Pro Debut March 6 1985 - His Slaughter of Michael Spinks June 27 1988... 3 days before he turned 22)... that Mike Tyson... comes pretty damn close... but still not # 1:)... ONE MORE THING... the last TRUE GREAT HEAVYWEIGHT BOXER was LENNOX LEWIS and the last Heavyweight Boxing Bout worth noting... as ONE-SIDED as it was... Lennox Lewis vs. Mike Tyson June 8 2002 in Memphis, Tennessee... it was ONE-SIDED... but in my eyes... it was still a classic! Heavyweight Boxing died as soon as that fight was over!

Discussion starter · #56 ·
The Tyson from his pro debut to the Tyson of the Spinks fight IMO is a top 5 heavyweight of all time, although I still beleive in their primes a few guys could take him.

Its not only about his prime status..Or that him at his peak could've beaten anybody( and yet tahts pretty unproven, because his peak was a little short).. His greatness status comes short when you look his reigning: it was short, his opposion wasnt the toughtest, and yes he was famous(lets be clear, im talking about his true reigning, before90s), but so was Joe Louis, Ali, Dempsey or any other great champion...
My point is, the only reason he could ever be number one is entertainment, but that alone isnt greatness

Discussion starter · #59 ·
Its not only about his prime status..Or that him at his peak could've beaten anybody( and yet tahts pretty unproven, because his peak was a little short).. His greatness status comes short when you look his reigning: it was short, his opposion wasnt the toughtest, and yes he was famous(lets be clear, im talking about his true reigning, before90s), but so was Joe Louis, Ali, Dempsey or any other great champion...
My point is, the only reason he could ever be number one is entertainment, but that alone isnt greatness
Ive been saying that for years. People judge him on his prime, and his prime only. Never his whole career, yet they will judge guys like Dempsey, Ali, Holmes, Frazier, Foreman etc on their whole career.

41 - 60 of 116 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.