Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

People who rate Tyson #1 heavyweight...please explain your reasoning

10K views 115 replies 22 participants last post by  calzaghefella 
#1 ·
Please explain why you have him at #1.

#2 ·
I dont think anyone rates him at #1 but most people rank him in theire top 10, hell some rank him at their top 10. And i think TysonJones has problaby told u about 50 times why anyone would rate him that high. Ive problaby read him telling us why 2 or 3 times. Just go to one of the top 10 hw list or any of those debates, i agree him with him fully and i think i rank him nr 8 if i remember right.

#3 ·
Brutus said:
I dont think anyone rates him at #1 but most people rank him in theire top 10, hell some rank him at their top 10. And i think TysonJones has problaby told u about 50 times why anyone would rate him that high. Ive problaby read him telling us why. Just go to one of the top 10 hw list i agree him with him fully and i think i rank him nr 8 if i remember right.

I think TysonJones and Dave both rate him at #1, but I'm trying to figure out why, and who else does. No matter what way you look at it, people have been there, or done that, except win the title at 19.

#8 ·
I don't rate him #1 but I tend to agree with when Tyson was in his prime, he could give anyone on the ATG list a hell of a close fight, win or lose. I think Tyson was the most physically gifted boxer in history. His combo of speed and power have not been matched in any other fighter that I have ever seen. Most the time you either have power, or you either have speed. Tyson was one of the rare exceptions who had been truly blessed with both. I have always thought if he were 5 inches taller with a little more reach he may have very well ended up the greatest of all time. He is also the most entertaining heavyweight boxer I have ever seen IMO. Because of what his career turned out to be I don't see how anyone could make him #1 though.

#9 ·
TysonJones said:
because in his prime, i honestly dont think anyone could of beat him.
Buster Douglas did. Its not fair to judge one fighter on their prime, and the rest on their whole career, when they are past their prime too. You have to base it on their whole career, and Tyson's career as a whole falls short in the 90's. He had 5 great years, and 10 not so great years, and that is a big blow.

#10 ·
Tyson trained what 2 weeks and should of won the fight when he knocked douglas down for 14 seconds but bill, why make a thread just so you can piss everyone off. Tihs is the same da** thing we always talk about, give it. The tyson that faced douglas wasnt no prime tyson, he had already stopped caring about boxing and stopped training. Prime Tyson would of walked of douglas in a heartbeat, just like holyfield did in the third round. But you wanted a reason, i gave you a reason and i refuse to argue anymore about this rediculous topic.

#11 ·
TysonJones said:
Tyson trained what 2 weeks and should of won the fight when he knocked douglas down for 14 seconds but bill, why make a thread just so you can piss everyone off. Tihs is the same da** thing we always talk about, give it. The tyson that faced douglas wasnt no prime tyson, he had already stopped caring about boxing and stopped training. Prime Tyson would of walked of douglas in a heartbeat, just like holyfield did in the third round. But you wanted a reason, i gave you a reason and i refuse to argue anymore about this rediculous topic.

I made this thread to see if anyone would come up with any OTHER reasons besides the usual 3. I guess not.

#13 ·
TysonJones said:
ill tell you one thing that is for sure, marciano isnt # 1. thats for da** sure. like ive said many times, there are at least 20 heavies after marciano that would ko him.
I never said Marciano is #1, and I can tell you, there are at least 10 fighters that would beat a prime Tyson.

#15 ·
TysonJones said:
because in his prime, i honestly dont think anyone could of beat him.
Plus 1000

Now get lost Bill with your 200 year old heavy list.

Tyson in his prime
he would have beat your top 20 list IRON MAN STYLE.

OK bill you win Tyson should not even be ranked.:rolleyes:

#16 ·
daveDaboxingfan said:
Plus 1000

Now get lost Bill with your 200 year old heavy list.

Tyson in his prime
he would have beat your top 20 list IRON MAN STYLE.

OK bill you win Tyson should not even be ranked.:rolleyes:
Its not 200, its barely even 50. So your saying he would beat them by hitting them after the bell or with an elbow or on a break?

#17 ·
bill1234 said:
Its not 200, its barely even 50. So your saying he would beat them by hitting them after the bell or with an elbow or on a break?
you need to Call TJ and order the complete tyson set.
and may be you will finaly see why he was the best of the best..

#19 ·
daveDaboxingfan said:
you need to Call TJ and order the complete tyson set.
and may be you will finaly see why he was the best of the best..
Because he's exciting? I think you and TJ are confusing excitment with greatness. he fought a lot of not so great guys, which made him look all the better. His 2 top wins are against out of shape, old fighters.

#22 ·
gotta love lance and bill, one has unconditional love and the other has pure hatred. :laugh:

bravo guys, this makes for one heated thread. :cheeky4:

#23 ·
TysonJones said:
dont ever tell me that im confused between exciting and greatness bill, dont you ever disrespect my knowledge of this sport.
What did I do now? All I said was I think that you and Dave are getting a little confused between exciting fighters, and great fighters, thats all. Its not big deal.

#25 ·
TommyGunn said:
gotta love lance and bill, one has unconditional love and the other has pure hatred. :laugh:

Oh, on youtube I found a real good video of Lewis. It is called "Lennox Lewis hardest punches" there are 3 parts to it. It covers his whole career, I found it entertaining.

#26 ·
TommyGunn said:

I don't hate him, I just recent him as a person, and his tactics as a fighter, other than that, I love the man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.