Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I left any out, feel free to add some. Also post your predictions for each fight if you'd like.

Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto II (This one is set to happen as long as both guys win their tune-ups and barring some other conflict)
Paul Williams vs. Antonio Margarito II (This battle of the two most avoided men in boxing needs to happen to determine supremacy at 147; we know Williams wants it, but Margarito doesn't appear to)
Antonio Margarito vs. Shane Mosley (Mosley wants it and Margarito seems interested, but he's got other business to attend to)
Miguel Cotto vs. Shane Mosley II (Mosley wants this one too to get some revenge for their extremely close first encounter, but Cotto will probably look ahead to other things after his business with Margarito is taken care of)
Miguel Cotto vs. Andre Berto (Berto has a mandatory obligation to fulfill, but he would be an interesting bounce back opponent for Cotto in preparation for the Margarito rematch; it's doubtful Berto's handlers want him to take this high of a step up in class)
Miguel Cotto vs. Sebastian Lujan (It has been talked about and is probably the most likely tune-up option for Cotto in preparation for his rematch with Margarito as Lujan is a former victim of the Tijuana Tornado)
Joshua Clottey vs. Miguel Cotto (Cotto could attempt to nab a belt to make his Margarito rematch a unification fight, but probably too risky)
Antonio Margarito vs. Joshua Clottey II (Margarito already turned this one down for later this year, so it's doubtful he'd want it for next either considering the trouble he had with Clottey in their first fight)
Joshua Clottey vs. Shane Mosley (Probably a likely option for Mosley to stay busy as well as go after another title)
Shane Mosley vs. Carlos Quintana (Another viable option for Mosley to stay active in hopes of landing a more meaningful fight)
Paul Williams vs. Miguel Cotto (If Cotto beats Margarito in their rematch and Williams stays at 147, this would be THE most significant fight to be made in the division)
Paul Williams vs. Andre Berto (One would have to figure that these two's paths will cross eventually if their winning ways continue; an interesting contrast of body types and fighting styles)
F**** M******** J* vs. Shane Mosley (I'd be remiss not to mention it; Mosley has wanted this for a while; Leonard Ellerbe was in attendance for the Mosley/Mayorga fight, so maybe he was doing some scouting)
Andre Berto vs. Luis Collazo (Collazo is Berto's mandatory so the fight is almost guaranteed unless Berto relinquishes his belt to go after another one)
Andre Berto vs. Kermit Cintron (Definitely a step up for Berto when it comes to risk as Cintron is a big puncher and former titleist, but now that they are DiBella stablemates, it seems unlikely)
Joshua Clottey vs. Andre Berto (A huge step up in competition for the skillful, but still unproven Berto; not out of the realm of possibility at all and a good unification fight)
Andre Berto vs. Zab Judah (A step up in class once Berto has satisfied the WBC with its mandatory even if Judah is a shell of his former self, he can still test Berto's chin and defense with his fast hands, but is there for the taking with his suspect heart)
Miguel Cotto vs. Kermit Cintron (A respectable tune-up option for Cotto; Cintron was twice victimized by Margarito, but still presents some threat with heavy hands)
Paul Williams vs. Shane Mosley (Would be just the big fight that Mosley craves, but everyone seems to be avoiding Williams like the plague nowadays)
Joshua Clottey vs. Kermit Cintron (If Cintron can get back on the winning track, maybe he gets at shot at Clottey's strap)

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Margarito's "tune up" in January will be against someone on the level of Clottey or Mosley. I think Shane might take it.

Cotto's tune up is a toss up, Lujan has the inside track, but I've heard Cintron, Berto, and Clottey, Kermit probably will take it out of those 3.

I don't see any top welter facing Paul till the end of 09, but he might be able to get Mosley or Cintron before then.

Berto will face Collazo, who he might lose to, and Dibella will try to get Judah and if he can't he might put him in there with the top of the division. If he does Berto will lose.

If Margarito wins the Cotto rematch, he'll fight Williams at the end of 09. If Cotto wins there might be a trilogy fight or Clottey.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Margarito's "tune up" in January will be against someone on the level of Clottey or Mosley. I think Shane might take it.

Cotto's tune up is a toss up, Lujan has the inside track, but I've heard Cintron, Berto, and Clottey, Kermit probably will take it out of those 3.

I don't see any top welter facing Paul till the end of 09, but he might be able to get Mosley or Cintron before then.

Berto will face Collazo, who he might lose to, and Dibella will try to get Judah and if he can't he might put him in there with the top of the division. If he does Berto will lose.

If Margarito wins the Cotto rematch, he'll fight Williams at the end of 09. If Cotto wins there might be a trilogy fight or Clottey.
I think Shane would.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Not the W, I meant being the opponent in the fight. Taking into account the long layoff, Margarito would abuse Mosley if they fought.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Margarito/Cotto II - Margarito TKO 10
Williams/Margarito II - Williams UD I'm torn on this one
Margarito/Mosley - Margarito TKO 11
Cotto/Mosley II - Cotto UD
Cotto/Berto - Cotto UD
Cotto/Lujan - Cotto TKO 6
Clottey/Cotto - Cotto UD THIS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE... VERY TOUGH TO CALL
Margarito/Clottey II - Margarito SD
Clottey/Mosley - Clottey UD
Mosley/Quintana - Mosley TKO 9
Williams/Cotto - Cotto SD
Williams/Berto - Williams UD
M******** J*/Mosley - WHO CARES? We all know F**** would be running from Shane all night
Berto/Collazo - Collazo SD
Berto/Cintron - Berto KO 10
Clottey/Berto - Clottey UD
Berto/Judah - Berto TKO 10
Cotto/Cintron - Cotto KO 7
Williams/Mosley - Williams SD
Clottey/Cintron - Clottey TKO 8

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
This myth that Floyd would run from everybody needs to stop. Floyd enjoys staying inside the pocket more than ANY fighter I know. Floyd vs Shane would be more crowd pleasing than you could possibly imagine.

As for Clottey vs Cintron, that fight is pretty much a guarantee. All Cintron has to do is beat Lovemore N'dou....how hard could it be?

Also, Cotto would be an idiot to take any elite welterweight as a "tune-up" fight for Margarito. The kid could very well be damaged goods, and he isn't going to know for sure till he gets back in the ring.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Margarito/Cotto II - Margarito TKO 10
Williams/Margarito II - Williams UD I'm torn on this one
Margarito/Mosley - Margarito TKO 11
Cotto/Mosley II - Cotto UD
Cotto/Berto - Cotto UD
Cotto/Lujan - Cotto TKO 6
Clottey/Cotto - Cotto UD THIS I WOULD LOVE TO SEE... VERY TOUGH TO CALL
Margarito/Clottey II - Margarito SD
Clottey/Mosley - Clottey UD
Mosley/Quintana - Mosley TKO 9
Williams/Cotto - Cotto SD
Williams/Berto - Williams UD
M******** J*/Mosley - WHO CARES? We all know F**** would be running from Shane all night
Berto/Collazo - Collazo SD
Berto/Cintron - Berto KO 10
Clottey/Berto - Clottey UD
Berto/Judah - Berto TKO 10
Cotto/Cintron - Cotto KO 7
Williams/Mosley - Williams SD
Clottey/Cintron - Clottey TKO 8
Did you just quote your own post? lol. :thumbsup: Great fights. I'd love for Floyd to fight any one of the top welters and silence some haters.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Did you just quote your own post? lol. :thumbsup: Great fights. I'd love for Floyd to fight any one of the top welters and silence some haters.
you can't silence haters. If he clowns 1 of them (even if he's the #1 ranked guy) they'll make excuses and demand he fights someone else because he didn't "prove anything" and "they knew he was going to win that easily anyways" in his previous fight.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
you can't silence haters. If he clowns 1 of them (even if he's the #1 ranked guy) they'll make excuses and demand he fights someone else because he didn't "prove anything" and "they knew he was going to win that easily anyways" in his previous fight.
Correct. Haters can be silenced, but only for a few days.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
This myth that Floyd would run from everybody needs to stop. Floyd enjoys staying inside the pocket more than ANY fighter I know. Floyd vs Shane would be more crowd pleasing than you could possibly imagine.

As for Clottey vs Cintron, that fight is pretty much a guarantee. All Cintron has to do is beat Lovemore N'dou....how hard could it be?

Also, Cotto would be an idiot to take any elite welterweight as a "tune-up" fight for Margarito. The kid could very well be damaged goods, and he isn't going to know for sure till he gets back in the ring.
Than you must not know too many fighters, though Floyd is great in close, he chooses to use his legs more and stay out of the pocket since he's fighting guys that are bigger. Off the top there's Guzman, Margarito, Soto, Juan Diaz, Cotto, G Johnson, Angulo, Lujan, Vazquez, Gamboa, etc.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Than you must not know too many fighters, though Floyd is great in close, he chooses to use his legs more and stay out of the pocket since he's fighting guys that are bigger. Off the top there's Guzman, Margarito, Soto, Juan Diaz, Cotto, G Johnson, Angulo, Lujan, Vazquez, Gamboa, etc.
not all those guys fight in the pocket. "around the vicinity of the pocket" I do not count.

Also, I said enjoys, not spends the most time doing. Assume less, ty.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
None of those fighters do it quite like mayweather. He's one of the most accurate and best inside fighter's I've ever seen. The way he can get off combinations with so little distance. Amazing. Not saying there isn't a better inside fighter. Just saying Floyd is currenly one of the best

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I sure did man. I'm a nerd like that. And hey, if he'd come back and do it, maybe I would put my foot in my mouth.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
not all those guys fight in the pocket. "around the vicinity of the pocket" I do not count.

If he enjoys it so much why doesn't he spend more time there? If he really enjoyed it, he would try more don't you think:confused:. Oh ok, now I know why, it's because his opponents are trying to stay away from him.

Of those that I mentioned, they all fight in AND around the vicinity of the pocket, for some of them that's where they want to be, others have to be there to be effective, and others often just get drawn into the pocket.

·
Registered
368 Posts

Arent you assuming Floyd enjoys it?? Cause if he really does he doesnt seem to. As far as im concerned he just does it when is opponent is hurt or tired, which is fine by me, its his style and i have no problem with it.

Anyways, IMO there a lot of fighters today that "enjoy" more/are better on the inside than Floyd

G

·
Pacquaio vs. Mayweather. Unlike some I will certainly speak Floyd's name because he's a terrific fighter who would beat both Mosley and Cotto IMO. Oh, and pacquaio.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
None of those fighters do it quite like mayweather. He's one of the most accurate and best inside fighter's I've ever seen. The way he can get off combinations with so little distance. Amazing. Not saying there isn't a better inside fighter. Just saying Floyd is currenly one of the best
I didn't say he wasn't great at it (actually it was the opposite), but that he's stopped because he's fighting bigger opponents. He's great there, but that's not where he wants to be.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
There might be a fundamental misunderstanding of what the pocket really is between us.

That aside, Floyd does what he's TOLD to do in the ring. When Roger tells him its time to do it he does it, if he tells him to box he stays outside. Simple as that, Floyd doesn't argue and doesn't resist. He follows orders, that's what disciplined fighters do. When he however IS told to fight, you can see how much he enjoys it by the look on his face. That's what I mean by enjoys. You know, basing this on the actual DEFINITION of the word.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts