Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Jake Donovan

The winner of next month's heavyweight clash between Wladimir Klitschko and Sultan Ibragimov now knows their next challenger. Whether or not anyone blinked is another story.

Alexander Povetkin is now an official entry into the heavyweight sweepstakes, outworking American challenger "Fast" Eddie Chambers en route to a unanimous decision in a battle of unbeaten heavyweights Saturday in Berlin, Germany.

The tempo of the bout remained the same from beginning to end. There was lots of posing between the two fleshy heavyweights, but the ambitious Povetkin initiating most of the action while the reluctant Chambers was outworked, waiting too long for counter opportunities that were rarely made available.

Povetkin's strategy was a smart one, as he fought on his toes and recognized early on that Chambers, who came in at a jiggly 219 lb., was there to be outworked. Chambers obliged all too willingly, fighting flat-footed and plodding forward, giving Povetkin, 227, ample opportunity to set his feet and load up on his power shots.

Things changed in the third round, if only for the moment, when Chambers was able to slip a combination and come back with a counter right hand. It was the first time in the fight that Povetkin felt the American's power, though seemingly unfazed as he regained control in the fourth round.

Chambers became more mobile in the fifth round, giving Povetkin less opportunities to land his straight right. But with little offense behind the movement, Chambers was ineffective in keeping the Russian off of him, with Povetkin enjoying his best moments when able to pin the American on the ropes. Povetkin was also effective with his double left hook, downstairs and up top.

Rounds six, seven and eight were all Povetkin, as Chambers failed to heed the pleas of new head trainer Buddy McGirt to pick up the pace, in fear that his American charge was falling behind on the cards. Chambers finally woke up in the ninth round, effective fighting in reverse, and landing in combinations for the first time in the fight. It was by far his best round of the fight, but perhaps too little too late in regards to the scorecards.

The championship rounds began with Povetkin playing keep away, potshotting Chambers from the outside while making sure to not get caught with anything foolish. It was a sound game plan, if of course it was guaranteed that he was ahead on the scorecards. Not leaving anything to chance, the Russian closed strong in the final round. Chambers was on the hunt, but a lot of leather in return as Povetkin was consistently first to the punch throughout. Povetkin was bouncing on his toes as the final bell rang, bearing the look of a man confident that he was leaving the ring with his "0" still intact.

Chambers' facial expression in his corner while awaiting the reading of the scorecards told the story of how the bout went. The American sported a look of disappointment, while receiving a chastising from the corner.

The final outcome was obvious, but ring announcer Michael Buffer made it official, belting out scores of 117-111, 119-109 and 116-112, all for Povetkin, who cruises to 15-0 (11KO).

The 2004 Olympian is now the mandatory challenger to the alphabet title presently owned by Wladimir Klitschko, universally regarded as the best fighter in a heavyweight division still in search of an undisputed champion.

While Povetkin is ensured an alphabet title shot in his next fight, there's no guarantee that it comes against the winner of next month's Klitschko-Ibragimov showdown. Also waiting in the wings is Tony Thompson, presently Ibragimov's mandatory challenger. More germane to the equation is Thompson's promoter, Dan Goossen, who also promotes Chambers. Goossen could decide that he still wants next in line, thus using Thompson's mandatory position to force the WBO's hand in either ordering an immediate match or a vacancy of their title.

Whatever happens in the immediate future at the top of the heavyweight division, none of it will involve Eddie Chambers, who falls to 30-1 (16KO) in losing for the first time since turning pro in late 2000. While there's plenty of time to turn things around, the 25-year old needs to give serious consideration to the division at which he plans to compete.

The 6'1" Chambers has spent his entire career at heavyweight, though tonight's fight made it painfully obvious that carrying around 20 extra pounds of blubber may not be worth the extra dollars that comes in competing in the sport's one-time glamour division.

Povetkin isn't exactly a sculptured Greek God, but bears the look and skill set of a future player in the heavyweight division. He now also sports a major bargaining chip, thanks to his win over Chambers in Germany.

The bout served as the main event of a telecast aired live on German station ARD, and presented by Sauerland Events, who promotes Povetkin. HBO will air the bout later this evening via tape-delay on their Boxing After Dark series, along with the exclusive rebroadcast of last week's PPV event between Roy Jones and Felix Trinidad.

Jake Donovan is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and the Tennessee Boxing Advisory Board. His column runs every Tuesday on BoxingScene.com.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
you are correct Vitali. Povetkin will be easily KOd by Klitschko.

Eddie Chambers' performance tonight was simply terrible. He DOESNT THROW PUNCHES, and you obviously cant win a fight by taking that approach. I think he needs to take a step back from the fight game and decide whether or not this is what he really wants to do with his life. He showed ZERO heart in the ring tonight and it was disgraceful. Theres no doubt that he has ability, he just lacks the heart to get the job done.

Max Kellerman suggested a move to cruiserweight. I dont think it matters where he moves, unless he learns how to throw more punches. He never punches first, and he goes into a shell and allows guys to take free shots, without responding. You can't win a fight like this.

I think Eddie is a very nice guy, a gentleman even. But perhaps he is too "nice" to be in the ring.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Disappointing effort by Chambers. But go win for Povetkin. Kiltschko by mid round stoopage over Povetkin.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Povetkin fights for 3 mins a round and is always throwing lots of shots hardly ever singles.

I give Povetkin a very good chance in this fight seeing how Wlad his always had questionable stamina, if Povetkin can get to 6-7 rounds he'll beat Wlad IMO.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you are correct Vitali. Povetkin will be easily KOd by Klitschko.

Eddie Chambers' performance tonight was simply terrible. He DOESNT THROW PUNCHES, and you obviously cant win a fight by taking that approach. I think he needs to take a step back from the fight game and decide whether or not this is what he really wants to do with his life. He showed ZERO heart in the ring tonight and it was disgraceful. Theres no doubt that he has ability, he just lacks the heart to get the job done.

Max Kellerman suggested a move to cruiserweight. I dont think it matters where he moves, unless he learns how to throw more punches. He never punches first, and he goes into a shell and allows guys to take free shots, without responding. You can't win a fight like this.

I think Eddie is a very nice guy, a gentleman even. But perhaps he is too "nice" to be in the ring.
Steve,

I couldn't agree more, and this is why I picked Povetkin. Chambers could have and should have won that fight. I score the first four rounds all to chambers followed by the last eight going to Povetkin. When Chambers was letting his hands go he seemed to be landing nearly at will at times. Then for no reason he stopped.

As far as Povetkin going forward I too give him absolutely zero shot against Wladimir. I thought they both looked C level. I agree with Rayman's comment. All I saw was two more fat heavies. I didn't really like the fight at all, and last night reminded me of why I hate and do not watch the heavyweights.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
The Wlad/ Sultan fight better be good. Somehow the heavyweights need to redeem themselves. Last night was like two fat homos getting in a slap fight.

Well maybe not that bad, but it wasn't very interesting.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Klitschko will stop Ibragimov and look good as usual. He is the only heavy I can somewhat enjoy watching.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Klitschko will stop Ibragimov and look good as usual. He is the only heavy I can somewhat enjoy watching.
I agree totally, the heavyweight division is TERRIBLE. no even worse its PATHETIC. I wish more of our american youth would put down the footballs and basketballs and lace up the gloves because lets face it...the Heavyweight division is oversaturated with these overweight bloated soviet lab Ivan Drago wannabe's. The only fight that could ever get me excited right now isn't gonna happen and thats Klitchko vs Klitchko

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
healthy, Vitali, under most circumstances, Wlad.

I was just trying to be a smart ass with the previous remark but you ruined it damn it! lol

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I take Wladimir, but that will never happen. We can just count on the HW division being lame for another three plus years.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
He would if they ever fought during one of the rare times that Vitali was healthy and in his "prime."

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
It'd be an interesting fight, but that will never happen. I wouldnt fight my brother either, so I dont blame them.

I think Povetkin put forth a brilliant effort last night and kept the pressure on Eddie, nullifying his lame attack.

Povetkin is a decent boxer, but he will get KO'd by Klitschko pretty easily. Klitschko's reach and straight right will get him somewhere in the middle rounds I estimate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I heard that the Klitschko brothers would never fight each other (too much like home). But, if they do, I'll put my $$$ on the Russian!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts