Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I list Cotto as my favorite fighter at the moment. But I can't say he beats Mayweather right now. I don't think he gets blown out either. Mayweather by UD.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
"He can't just wade in mindlessly, just as you wouldn't run wildly across an empty field to close in on a sniper."

That was a great line!

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe Cotto can win a decision, I'm not saying he will or that tahts my pick. But looking at DLH's fight with floyd, Oscar stole some rounds by simply pressing the action and moving forward, so I think Miguel can do the same, with more efficiency. But I wouldnt bet any money on that

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Cotto has the tools. He just has to use his tools at their appropriate times. A lot of fighters have had some limited success while fighting Floyd, the problem is they don't switch it up. Once Floyd sees your fighting style he can disect it and then disect his opponent. If a fighter that can mix it up and fight a few different styles gets in there with Mayweather and switches it up enough they might pull it out. Cotto's advantage is his superb ability to switch to south paw and do it effectivly.

So in closing, Cotto has the tools but I don't know if he knows how to use them all in one night.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
Cotto has the tools. He just has to use his tools at their appropriate times. A lot of fighters have had some limited success while fighting Floyd, the problem is they don't switch it up. Once Floyd sees your fighting style he can disect it and then disect his opponent. If a fighter that can mix it up and fight a few different styles gets in there with Mayweather and switches it up enough they might pull it out. Cotto's advantage is his superb ability to switch to south paw and do it effectivly.

So in closing, Cotto has the tools but I don't know if he knows how to use them all in one night.
good post, icb. you bring up some good points.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
"For Cotto, the name of the game is pressure. "

This guy lost all credibility with this line. This is where I quit reading.

·
Banned
589 Posts

Thats Not Going To Work, You Have To Factor Everything In. The Fighters Who Have Had Success Have Only Had Success Becuz Mayweather Allowed Them To, Look At The 5th Round Of The Hatton Fight. What Happens When Floyd Goes On The Offensive? Is His Opponent Prepared Or Talented Enuff To Defend Against His Speed And Accuracy? Switching Your Style Every Few Rounds Is Going To Expand Alot Of Energy, Will They Have Enuff Stamina To Go The Distance? It Also Requires Alot Of Discipline And Focus, Are They Mentally Tough To Do That? What Are They Going To Do When Floyd Finds His Own Rythm? Its Far Too Risky For A Fighter To Try This, It May Work At First But After Awhile There Legs Will Get Tired And There Head Will Stop Moving Making Them Easier To Hit.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thats Not Going To Work, You Have To Factor Everything In. The Fighters Who Have Had Success Have Only Had Success Becuz Mayweather Allowed Them To, Look At The 5th Round Of The Hatton Fight. What Happens When Floyd Goes On The Offensive? Is His Opponent Prepared Or Talented Enuff To Defend Against His Speed And Accuracy? Switching Your Style Every Few Rounds Is Going To Expand Alot Of Energy, Will They Have Enuff Stamina To Go The Distance? It Also Requires Alot Of Discipline And Focus, Are They Mentally Tough To Do That? What Are They Going To Do When Floyd Finds His Own Rythm? Its Far Too Risky For A Fighter To Try This, It May Work At First But After Awhile There Legs Will Get Tired And There Head Will Stop Moving Making Them Easier To Hit.
I agree but in the same sense...Boxing is all about risk and reward. Cotto is somebody who is mentally tough and could pull something like this off.

but Mayweather is just TOO good.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Since he is unbeaten there is no formula for beating Floyd. I really think mixing up your attack and never letting Floyd figure out your style (because you are changing it every couple rounds) is the only possible way to beat him. Or maybe you just need to find the hardest puncher in the game to try to clobber him. Hell, who knows.

·
Registered
175 Posts
If Cotto boxed orthodox for about 5-6 rounds...and then switched lefty, he could have a shot. but thats if he goes about things correctly and has effective aggression whereas Hatton had ineffective aggression.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
"For Cotto, the name of the game is pressure. "

This guy lost all credibility with this line. This is where I quit reading.
Cotto is not just a pressure fighter. Ask Mosley. And just because Hatton failed doesn't mean pressure can't beat Floyd. There are different types of pressure. You have guys who rush in and smother themselves like Ricky and you have guys who apply pressure gradually by slowly coming forward and picking their shots. Guess what type of pressure Cotto brings? Watch the 2 castillo fights and you can see that Floyd is somewhat uncomfortable when his opponent cuts the ring slowly but surely and wait until the last moment to throw punches.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Exactly! :thumbsup:

The most notable difference between Castillo's pressure and Cotto's is that Cotto does not move his head as he stalks his opponents down. He puts his gloves at his temperals and robotically cuts off the ring.

Mayweather: "It's going to take a lot more than that to even come close to beating Floyd Mayweather".

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I will root for Cotto and I believe he would give Floyd a good fight but I dont believe anybody can beat Floyd over 12 rounds. KO would be Cotto's best chance but when a fighter gets desperate for the KO Floyd fights and looks best.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I will root for Cotto and I believe he would give Floyd a good fight but I dont believe anybody can beat Floyd over 12 rounds. KO would be Cotto's best chance but when a fighter gets desperate for the KO Floyd fights and looks best.
I'd see the fight being a lot closer if Cotto had one-punch KO power but he doesn't. He'd need to land an awfull lot to wear Mayweather into a pulp like he has his other TKO victims. Problem with this is that it's Mayweather we're talking about. Mayweather rarely get's hit flush and much less by punches comming from conventional angles. Cotto is the epitomy of conventional punching.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts