Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Zarate-Torres Headline “Path to Glory” in Cali​

ORANGE – For Julio Zarate and Vernie Torres, the path to boxing glory is sometimes a rocky one, where only true warriors are left standing. On Friday, November 2, these two featherweight standouts will meet at the crossroads in an eight round contest which may determine who moves forward and who is left behind. Yes, the path is rough; but if they survive its pitfalls, one might emerge as a world champion.

“Path to Glory”, a six bout card of competitive and hard-hitting professional boxing, will be presented by Thompson Boxing Promotions at the Doubletree Hotel in Ontario, California. For tickets, priced at $75, $45, and $30, please call 714-935-0900 or visit Thompson Boxing Promotions

The November 2 card will also feature a host of California’s top young prospects, all who are hoping to carve their own niche in the crowded west coast fight scene.

In the main event, Mexico City’s Julio Zarate (25-4-1, 15 KOs) puts his four fight-winning streak on the line against Los Angeles-based Filipino Vernie Torres (27-10, 15 KOs). Zarate, a former interim WBA bantamweight champion, is looking to regain the form that took him to the top in 2004. Winner of his last four bouts, two by knockout, the 32-year old will be tested by the 33-year old Torres, who has struggled since a career-best year in 2003 that saw him win IBA and USBA titles, but who still has plenty of fight left in him for another title run.

Co-featured on the “Path to Glory” card is a six round light heavyweight bout between hard-hitting Jesus Berrelleza (3-0, 2 KO) of Fontana, California, and equally powerful Terrence Wilson (4-1, 3 KOs) of Fort Smith, Arkansas.

Also in action…

Lakewood featherweight Charles Huerta (1-0, 1 KO), a well-regarded amateur who competed in the 2004 Olympic trials, looks to up his pro record to 2-0 if he can score a victory over Las Vegas’ Johnny Black (3-2, 2 KOs).

Riverside’s Mauricio Herrera plans on following up his August win over Angel Osuna with a similar result when he faces Boise, Idaho’s Eliseo Garcia (0-1) in a four round junior middleweight contest.

Rouged Dario Castillo (4-3) of Oakland and Henry Mitchell (6-6-1, 1 KO) of Los Angeles will battle it out in a six round junior welterweight bout.

Opening up the show is a four round battle between debuting welterweights, with Riverside’s Ignacio Garcia taking on Honolulu’s Brent Rodrigues.

Bouts are subject to change. Doors open at 6:30 pm, and the first bell rings at 7:45 pm. The Doubletree Hotel is located at 222 North Vineyard Avenue in Ontario.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Celebration of the Celtic Prizefigher on 11/20

New York — Fighting Irishmen: A Celebration of the Celtic Prizefigher and event sponsor Union State Bank will present "Fighters and Families," a symposium discussing boxing families on Tuesday night, November 20, at the South Street Seaport Museum.

The panel will include: New York Times Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist Dave Anderson; author Jay R. Tunney, the son of former heavyweight champion Gene Tunney; Tim Conn, the son of boxing Hall of Fame champion Billy Conn; Doug Graham, the son of perennial welterweight contender and uncrowned champion Billy Graham; and Charlie Sharkey, the great, grand nephew of legendary Irish champion "Sailor" Tom Sharkey, whose two fights with James J. Jeffries have become legend, especially the 25 round Coney Island championship fight in 1899; exhibit curator Jim Houlihan will serve as the moderator.

This event will begin at 6:00 PM with light refreshments and an opportunity to tour the exhibit and the panel discussion gets underway at 7:00 PM. Tickets are priced at $50 for V.I.P. seating and $35 for general admission. To purchase tickets, email [email protected], or order on line at South Street Seaport Museum, or call 212-748-8786. South Street Seaport Museum is located at 12 Fulton Street, New York, NY 10038.

Jay Tunney offered these recollections of his heavyweight champion dad: "The first time it came home to me that my Dad was a celebrity, that is someone different from other dads, was when we went to Madison Square Garden to see Roy Rogers during the World War II," says Tunney. "I was about seven years old and Roy was my hero. Roy rode into the arena and I was in awe.

"Suddenly there was a big spotlight on us sitting in the stands and Roy was pointing in our direction, introducing my Dad," he continued. "Dad stood up in his Navy commander's uniform and waved, and the Garden broke into a thunderous applause. People in nearby seats waved and shouted at him, cheering. Even Roy clapped. Dad smiled, tipped his hat and sat down. I couldn't imagine why, with all the people in the Garden, Roy singled out my dad?"

Recollections from Jay Tunney on his father's relationship with Jack Dempsey

"My father, with a scientific style, beat slugger Jack Dempsey twice in battles for the heavyweight boxing championship of the world which was the biggest honor for an athlete of the Roaring Twenties. Yet dad, who retired undefeated, always said Dempsey was the greatest fighter and champion of all time, and the two of them remained lifelong friends despite post-boxing careers that took them in totally different directions."

"As a teenager, I first met Jack Dempsey in his restaurant. I was nervous. "Gene's boy," he called me, playfully swinging his left fist which stopped just short of my jaw, then wrapping his big arms around me and introducing me to his friends who included Willie Pep, Rocky Graziano and Jersey Joe Walcott. Growing up, we Tunneys had always heard our father say that in the Chicago Long Count fight controversy he could have gotten up off the deck in time even if he had not been given the extra five seconds by Dempsey."

The widely popular Fighting Irishmen: Celebrating Celtic Prizefighters 1820-Present exhibit is a collaborative effort between the South Street Seaport Museum and the Irish Arts Center.

The eclectic collection of boxing photography and artifacts – which will continue through December 31 – is once again open to the public, also enjoyed a four month run at the Irish Arts Center last year. It is a veritable stroll down memory lane for fight fans and historians alike. Of course, certainly the most unique item in the exhibit – the late, great Irish fighter Dan Donnelly's mummified right arm – is on display thanks to Josephine Byrne. Among the artifacts and pictures on display will be the legendary John L. Sullivan's fur coat; a blazer specially made for Jack Dempsey ; photographs from the archives of Sports Illustrated and MSG photographer George Kalinsky; Charlie Nash's Olympic jersey when he was fighting for Ireland; photographs of the classic Micky Ward vs. Arturo Gatti trilogy; and historic photos of such memorable Irish fighters as John L. Sullivan, James J. Braddock, Billy Conn, Jerry Quarry, Gerry Cooney, Barry McGuigan and Bobby Cassidy, just to name a few.

The expanded exhibit will also include: a heavy bag from Gene Tunney's training camp; equipment from current female fighter Maureen Shea, used for training actress Hilary Swank for the acclaimed film Million Dollar Baby, and three original oil painting's from the Tunney collection by the artist Mahonri Young, Brigham Young's grandson. In addition, visitors will be able to view video of historic fights during their tours of the exhibit.

Winter hours, beginning November 1, for the South Street Seaport Museum are Fridays through Mondays from 10 AM to 5 PM.

By subway: 2,3,4,5,J,Z or M to Fulton Street; A or C to Broadway-Nassau.
By bus: M15 down Second Ave. to Fulton Street
By car: from West Side: take West St. southbound past WTC site. Follow signs to FDR Dr. Take underpass, keep right, use Exit 1 at end of underpass. Turn right on South St., drive six blocks to Seaport. Public parking is available on the right. From East Side: Take FDR Dr. south to Exit 3 onto South St. Continue south, passing under the Brooklyn Bridge. Public parking is available on the left.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Martin Power-Ian Napa Rematch on 11/30

Nearly two years to the date after Martin Power claimed a hotly disputed points decision to retain the British title over Ian Napa, he steps back into the fray to try and regain a title he never lost in the square ring on Friday, November 30, at the Newham Leisure Centre in London, England.

This is one of the most eagerly awaited rematches for a British title and continues a line of eagerly contested domestic title fights promoted by Frank Maloney, which has seen fight fans appreciate the return to traditional boxing.

In the last meeting between Power and Napa, held at York Hall in November, 2005, two judges voted 116-113 for Power while one judge saw it 116-113 for Napa.

Since that fight, Napa, 15-6 (1), lost a European title bid on points but then won the British belt in July of this year before claiming his first stoppage win in a 21 fight career against Lee Haskins last month.

Power, 19-2 (8), has had changing fortunes as well, as the previously undefeated Londoner suffered two convincing losses, both stoppages, by the world ranked Commonwealth bantamweight champion Tshifhiwa Munyai, who will also be appearing on the card, looking to push his claim for a world title.

"To this day, I never believed that I lost to Martin Power, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to put that right on my record," said Napa.

"The roles are revered this time; I am going in as champion and Martin is the one who has to come to me to take the title. He'll have to fight my sort of fight and he's coming off a career worst loss, a fourth round stoppage.

"I am getting better with every fight and improving with age, I am like a vintage bottle of wine."

After defending the British title twice, Power had to drop the belt during the fallout from the Munyai losses and can't wait to regain the crown.

"I've been waiting for this opportunity for a long time," said Power. "I'm fully recovered from all my injuries and I'm in the gym working hard. I want my title back.

"I've never lost to a British fighter and I dont intend to start to now. I'm going to regain my title, have a good Christmas and be an active champion in the new year. "

Promoter Frank Maloney is ecstatic about putting these two rivals back together again. "I'm looking forward to staging this clash of two of Britain's most skillful boxers and continuing to give the British fight public the sort of fights and undercards they want to see," he said.

"I've heard and seen quotes where they say that my undercard fighters are in hard fights. To me, a fighter can't learn his trade with 20 knockouts in easy fights and then stepping up and being totally exposed.

"I am from the old school where I believe that an unbeaten record is a handicap to a fighter. My most successful fighter, Lennox Lewis, lost and still became Britain's most successful fighter.

"Scott Harrison lost early in his career but came back to become one of Britain's most fearsome featherweights. Ian Napa is also a testament to fighters learning from losses.

Chief support to Napa - Power 2 is popular London light middleweight Garl Woolcombe, who since losing to Andrew Facey has turned his career around with two impressive stoppage wins and now believes he's ready to contest a major title.

Also on the card is the fast improving and highly popular undefeated super featherweight Akaash "Kash" Bhatia.

As no regular London fight venue was available, promoter Frank Maloney will be holding the first ever fight card at the Newham Leisure Centre, which has had a number of amateur and international amateur tournaments and may also be used in the London Olympics of 2012.

Frank Maloney Promotions presents Ian Napa vs. Martin Power 2 for the Bantamweight Championship of Britain at Newham Leisure Centre on Friday, November 30. Sky TV will televise live.

Tickets are priced at £75 and £40 and are available by logging onto Frank Maloney Official site - the only place for online boxing or by calling the Box Office at 0871 226 1508. For any further press information please call 0208 267 7647.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
I will check out a few of those fights. Thanks for the extra information.
You're welcome. I am going to try and post these at least every other day.

Press releases are fair use for anyone to use.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts