Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ricky Hatton Heads Down To Las Vegas​

LAS VEGAS, NV - Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton and his team—brother and fellow fighter Matthew, trainer Billy Graham, nutritionist Kerry Kayes, assistant trainer Lee Beard and agent Paul Speaks—will settle in Las Vegas Friday for his world welterweight championship mega-showdown against Floyd Mayweather, Saturday, December 8 at MGM Grand in Las Vegas. The bout will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View .

Team Hatton will travel on a non-stop flight Thursday from Manchester, England—the site of an intensive eight-week camp—to Las Vegas, where they where they will rent a house and use a local gym to finish final preparations for what will be the biggest fight of the British star's career. The only reminders of home accompanying Hatton are photographs of his son and family that he keeps close as motivation for making his dream come true.

"I can't wait to get to Las Vegas to finish training for my fight with Floyd Mayweather," said Hatton. "I hope American sports fans who saw me on the first episode of HBO's 24/7 got a chance to see that I'm a regular bloke and a peoples' champion who will become theirs and the world's champion when I beat Mayweather on December 8."

Promoted by Golden Boy Promotions and Mayweather Promotions, and sponsored by Rock Star Energy Drink, Tecate Beer and Southwest Airlines, "UNDEFEATED" is headlined by the welterweight championship bout between Mayweather and Hatton plus an exciting televised undercard including Jeff Lacy vs. Peter Manfredo, Jr., Daniel Ponce De Leon against Eduardo Escobedo, and Wes Ferguson vs. Edner Cherry.

Closed circuit tickets, priced at $50, are still available and can be purchased at MGM MIRAGE properties' box office outlets or by phone with a major credit card at 866-799-7711. For MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay venues, tickets also are available by visiting Official Ticketmaster site. Tickets for Concerts, Sports, Arts, Theater, Family, Events, more or by calling 702-474-4000. Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person and all seats are general admission.

The Mayweather vs. Hatton pay-per-view telecast beginning at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT, has a suggested retail price of $54.95, will be produced and distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View and will be available to more than 61 million pay-per-view homes. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. HBO Pay-Per-View is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry. For your Mayweather vs. Hatton fight week updates, log on to HBO Online.

The HBO all-access series "MAYWEATHER/HATTON 24/7" debuts a new episode Sunday, Nov. 25 at 10:00 p.m. ET/PT on HBO. The four-part series, with unprecedented access, will chronicle the fighters' preparations for the Dec. 8 super-fight at MGM Grand and will provide viewers with a compelling look at two extraordinary champions.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Dean Francis Target a Clinton Woods Shot

Commonwealth Light-Heavyweight champion Dean Francis has re-signed with Frank Warren - and is targeting a showdown with IBF World Champion Clinton Woods.

Francis, who has also held the British, European and WBO Intercontinental super-middleweight crowns under Warren's guidance, will defend his Commonwealth belt at the Bolton Arena on December 8.

The 33-year-old power-puncher had also been considered as a possible opponent for Antonio Tarver in the States but the American turned him down.

Advised by Jonathan Feld at the World Sports Organisation, Francis, 33, boasts a 28-3 (23) record, and is getting back to his best and looking forward to the future after legal, contractual and injury problems kept him away from the ring.

"It's great news that I'm back with Frank Warren, the promoter who helped me to some of my greatest wins," said Francis.

"And it will be incredible to defend my title at the Bolton Arena in front of a sell out crowd next month.

"Being away from the sport I love made me realise how much it means to me, and how much more I want to acheive.

"I've never given up my dream of becoming a world champion, and winning a world title is a realistic goal.

"Obviously Clinton Woods is number one in the UK at the moment at 175 pounds, but given a couple more fights, I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be up there challenging him."

Promoter Frank Warren added: "I'm delighted to sign Dean again, and I'm confident he is still has what it takes. A few years ago, he was one of the biggest punchers in the super-middleweight division, and from what I've seen he has carried that form over to the light-heavyweights."

No opponent has yet been announced for Francis.

Amir Khan's Commonwealth lightweight title defence against Graham Earl tops the card and will be televised live on ITV1.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Andrey Tsurkan-Yuri Foreman Clash on Dec. 6

New York —On Thursday night December 6th, DiBella Entertainment, Top Rank and Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing presents “VS. FIGHT NIGHT LIVE” at the Utopia Paradise Theater in the heart of the Bronx.

In the main event, it will be a 10 round Junior Middleweight battle of talented Eastern Europeans, as NABF CHAMPION and Ukraine born Andrey Tsurkan (25-2, 16 KO’s) defends his title against undefeated Yuri Foreman (23-0, 8 KO’s), born in Belarus in a 10 round Junior Middleweight bout. Star Boxing promoted Tsurkan, who now lives in the Bronx, will be defending his title in his second straight fight at the Paradise as he viciously knocked out Sammy Sparkman in the ninth round of a ten round bout in the Bronx on April 11, 2007. Foreman, who lives in Brooklyn, last fought on the undercard of Cotto/Judah at Madison Square Garden on June 9, 2007 where he won the biggest fight of his career; a 10 round decision over Anthony Thompson (23-2, 16 KO’s).

The co-feature bout is another 10 round Junior Middleweight showdown between Argentinean Sergio Martinez (40-1-1, 21 KO’s) and Ghanaian contender Ossie Duran (23-6-1, 9 KO’s). Martinez will be fighting his first bout under the DiBella banner. Martinez, who resides in Spain, has won 24 straight fights including a 4th round knockout of Saul Roman (28-4, 24 KO’s) who most recently knocked out former World Champion Kassim Ouma (25-4-1, 15 KO’s) on November 2. Duran is a slick boxer who has won three out his last four bouts including three straight decisions over Marcos Primera (20-17-2, 13 KO’s), Gilberto Reyes (18-5-1, 11 KO’s), and Jonathan Reid (34-8, 19 KO’s).

The televised card will be supported by a loaded undercard featuring DBE’s Spanish Harlem welterweight, Puerto Rican Edgar “El Chamaco” Santana (21-3, 13 KO’s), Heavyweight Monte “Two Gunz” Barrett (31-6, 17 KO’s) and DBE cruiserweight Andre “Tombstone” Purlette (39-2, 35 KO’s). Star Boxing’s Young Philly welterweight Ray Robinson (5-0, 1 KO) and one of America’s top amateur heavyweights, Joe Hanks (Pro Debut) will also be on the card.

Tickets priced at $2,000 for VIP Tables of 10 (includes beer, wine, and dinner), $100, $50, and $30 are available by calling DiBella Entertainment at (212) 947-2577 or Star Boxing at (718) 823-2000 and through Ticketmaster by logging onto Official Ticketmaster site. Tickets for Concerts, Sports, Arts, Theater, Family, Events, more.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matt Godfrey-Jeremy Williams Event is Canceled

PROVIDENCE – Saturday night’s scheduled “Pinnacle FiteNite: The Heat’s on In Hartford,” featuring NABF cruiserweight champion Matt “Too Smooth” Godfrey and Jeremy “Half-Man, Half-Amazing” Williams, has been cancelled due to Pinnacle FiteNite reneging on its financial funding and television agreement.

“We regret having to cancel the show but it was out of our control once Pinnacle pulled the plug,” Classic Entertainment & Sports, Inc. president Jimmy Burchfield explained. “We have incurred tremendous expenses and everyone associated with this promotion is terribly disappointed. Pinnacle was contractually responsible for providing television and made other financial commitments. It isn’t fair to anybody, particularly the fighters who’ve trained so hard and long for this show, as well as fans who’ve looked forward to watching these fights. Everybody worked so hard on this promotion, including the staffs at CES and the Connecticut Convention Center, and members of the Connecticut Department of Public Safety Boxing Commission.

“So many people changed their Thanksgiving Day plans and because the holiday is so close, we had to make a final decision now so others weren’t adversely affected. We have a contract with Pinnacle that it has reneged on and this matter is now in the hands of our legal advisors. CES has taken a terrible hit because we believed in Pinnacle FiteNite; we don’t do business like this.”

Anyone with tickets should return to their place of purchase for a full refund. If there are any problems call the CES office at 401.724.2254.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kermit Cintron Not Looking Past Feliciano

Kermit Cintron (28-1, 26 KOs), of Reading, Penn., will make the second defense of his International Boxing Federation welterweight championship against Jesse Feliciano (15-5-3, 9 KOs), of Los Angeles, in one of the top fights this Friday at STAPLES Center on SHOWTIME PPV.

Two time world champion Fernando Vargas (26-4, 22 KOs) and three-time world champion Ricardo Mayorga (27-6-1, 22 KOs) fight in what promises to be a street brawl in the main event of a highly anticipated pay-per-view telecast that begins at 10 p.m. ET/7 p.m. PT and is being distributed by SHOWTIME® PPV.

Also on the stellar card, former IBF 154-pound champion Roman “Made in Hell” Karmazin (35-2-1, 22 KOs), of St. Petersburg, Russia, now fighting out of Los Angeles, will take on former two-time World Boxing Association super welterweight champion Alejandro “Terra” Garcia (25-2, 24 KOs), of Tijuana, Mexico, for the WBA Intercontinental championship.

The day after Thanksgiving live event begins at 3:15 p.m. Doors open at 3.

Tickets, priced at $300, $150, $100 and $50 are on sale online at ticketmaster.com, via Ticketmaster charge-by-phone lines at (213) 480-3232 or (714) 740-2000 and at all Ticketmaster ticket centers. The main event is scheduled for 12 rounds at a catch weight of 166 pounds.

Cintron and Feliciano participated in a well attended media roundtable on Tuesday to discuss Friday’s world title bout.

KERMIT CINTRON:

“Feliciano is a tough fighter that comes to win. He doesn’t try to survive. It is a dangerous fight. He’s going to come and try and take the title away from me. He’s got heart, but in my opinion he can’t punch. We will have to find out on Friday in the ring.

“To me, this is a dangerous fight. With his record this is an amazing opportunity for him. He is hungry and he is going to come to fight. He is thinking that this is his one chance to walk out of that ring a world champion.

“I am focused on this fight. Everyone is talking about me fighting (WBO welterweight champion Paul) Williams, but without wining this fight there is no future. I am just focused on a win.

“We are fighting Williams next, but it is contingent on this win. I took this fight this fight to stay sharp and to stay busy.

“(Manager-trainer) Emanuel (Steward) is what I needed in my career to become a champion. I didn’t have him when I first fought (Antonio) Margarito, but when I fight him again I will have his help and I will win.

“I have been boxing more, using my jab more, and using my combinations more. My style is a lot smoother now. I’m not just looking to knock out my opponents.

“I have been sparring with Jermain Taylor and Jonathan Banks. I am always in the gym. I just gain more experience with them.

“The Margarito fight was the worst I’ve ever done. I was injured and was not ready. You better believe I will be ready the next time around.

“People are waiting for me to fight Margarito. That is a fight that I want, and that is what people think I need. I think to make people shut up I need to fight Margarito, and I need to win.

“When I win and I beat Margarito, people will stop talking then. The fight will happen soon enough, and I will win. Then people will shut up.”

EMANUEL STEWARD (CINTRON’S MANAGER)

“I wasn’t that impressed with Kermit before I started working with him. But we began training and I started noticing a lot of talent and boxing ability.

“We started developing his left hand, but I think his right hand is the strongest pound-for-pound I have ever seen. It is as strong as Wladimir Klitschko, which is amazing.

“I realized he has the ability to be an amazing fighter. In his only loss to Margarito he had a hand injury and was not training with me.

“I decided to get involved with him, he started going to the training camps with Wladimir, and he has developed into something special. He has become a complete fighter.”

JESSE FELICIANO

“I’ve been taken lightly my whole career. They see me as some guy off the street. The USBA champ will show up on time and be ready to fight.

“Cintron is not unbeatable. He is a great athlete and a tough opponent. I think I have to stop him. I think they made a huge mistake in picking me as an opponent. I am starving for that IBF belt. I’ve been starving for a long time. I am hungry for this fight. I am hungry to be a champion.

“I don’t know what backing up means. I press forward and put the pressure on my opponents.

“I like my chances to win this fight. I think I am getting overlooked and underestimated because I am the easy mark. They’re trying to use me as a stepping stone, but that hasn’t worked in the past. I’ve always been ignored and my opponents have paid the price.

“This is my chance to make a statement to everyone that I am here to stay. I will be losing something when I get in the ring. I’ll lose my USBA belt, but that won’t matter because I am going to get my hands on that IBF welterweight crown.

“I don’t want this to be a boring fight. I am going to give the fans a great show. They’re going to see a great fight. Cintron is not going to walk through me like everyone is saying.

“It’s a world title fight so I’ll be a little nervous the night before. I am going in the ring with a chip on my shoulder. No one thinks I can beat this guy but I am here to prove everyone wrong.

“After I heard the fight was postponed I took a week off to clear my mind to stay mentally sharp. It was a good time to just relax my body and not take any more hits. I was disappointed though because I was ready to go for Sept. 8.”

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chris Edwards Ready For Destiny on Dec. 8

December 8th promises to be one of the busiest nights in British boxing history when Ricky Hatton faces Floyd Mayweather Jr in Las Vegas. Hatton faces the biggest fight of his life as he attempts to get the better of the best ‘pound for pound’ boxer in the World.

Earlier the same evening British boxing’s rising star Amir Khan defends his Commonwealth lightweight title against Graham Earl in Bolton where Michael Jennings defends his WBU title and Dean Francis also defends his Commonwealth title.

Just up the road, in Wigan British champion Jamie Moore contests the European light-middleweight title and Craig Watson takes on British based Namibian Ali Nuumbembe in another Commonwealth clash. Meanwhile, in Switzerland Birmingham’s British middleweight champion, Wayne Elcock, challenges for the IBF title.

Stoke’s Chris Edwards is eager to make sure he writes his own piece of history that evening and get in on the act as he contests the inaugural British super-flyweight title against Doncaster’s Jamie McDonnell as part of the Wigan card. Not only is Edwards aiming to become the first custodian of the newest Lonsdale belt but also hopes to end an 85 year dearth of major boxing honours for Potteries based boxers. The last ‘Potter’ to reach the upper echelons in boxing was Tommy Harrison who briefly held the British, British Empire and European titles at bantamweight in 1922.

Edwards came close to achieving his dream in April this year when he pushed Dale Robinson all the way in a British and Commonwealth flyweight title bout in Altrincham. In what was considered by many to have been the fight of the year, the epic contest was adjudged a draw and the belts were not awarded. The pair was originally scheduled to have met for the third time, Edwards having stopped Robinson in eight rounds the previous November, but Robinson decided to hang up his gloves.

Edwards whose record now reads W 10 (KO 3) L 12 D 3 will enter the ring as favourite; a unique event for an Impact Boxing trained fighter in a major title encounter. McDonnell, the current English bantamweight titleholder, has recorded 8 wins and 1 draw but has never fought over 12 rounds previously and has only fought outside of Doncaster once. The fight will be televised on Sky Sports as part of the British undercard to the vaunted Hatton/Mayweather confrontation.

“I’m looking forward to the fight now” said Edwards, “it’s been a long time coming with the retirement of Dale and everything else. I’m ready and the experience I gained last time will stand me in good stead I think.”

“It’s great to be involved on such a big night for British boxing and it’s an honour to have the chance to fight for the first-ever super-flyweight title but my focus is on beating Jamie McDonnell and that’s what I aim to do.”

Tickets for the Wigan show which includes nine bouts, three of which are title contests, and large screen coverage of the Hatton/Mayweather contest are available from Impact Boxing on 0845 156 7168 or by visiting Impact Boxing - The Home of British Boxing in Staffordshire

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Info on Mayweather-Hatton 24/7 Episode 2

MAYWEATHER/HATTON 24/7 – NOV. 25 - Episode #2

Debut date: SUNDAY, NOV. 25 (10:00-10:30 p.m. ET/PT)

Other HBO playdates: Nov. 26 (11:30 p.m.), 27 (4:30 p.m., 11:00 p.m.), 28 (9:30 p.m.), 29 (10:30 p.m.) and 30 (10:15 p.m.), and Dec. 1 (10:30 a.m., 12:40 a.m.), 2 (9:30 p.m.), 7 (8:30 p.m.) and 8 (9:30 a.m.)

HBO2 playdate: Nov. 29 (7:30 p.m.) and Dec. 13 (9:30 p.m.) and 15 (8:30 a.m.)

HBO On Demand availability begins: Nov. 27

Ricky Hatton’s fitness regimen to get to welterweight is explored and he spends time with his family as he prepares to move training camp from Manchester, England to Las Vegas. Floyd Mayweather’s remarkable and unusual training schedule and its benefits is chronicled.

The executive producers of MAYWEATHER/HATTON 24/7 are Ross Greenburg and Rick Bernstein; coordinating producer, Dave Harmon: producers, Jason Hehir and Scott Boggins; narrator, Liev Schreiber.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Edwin Valero, Linares Top Final PPV of 2007

Cancun, Mexico — Two of boxing’s electric, young champions, Edwin Valero and Jorge Linares will be defending their titles in “Cancun Night of Champions” Saturday December 15th at the Plaza de Toros in beautiful Cancun, Mexico LIVE on DirecTV, Dish Network, and In Demand Pay-Per-View (Suggested Retail Price $29.95) with coverage beginning at 9pm ET/ 6pm PT. Both fighters are promoted by Teiken Promotions. “It is a pleasure and honor to be able to present this show to the world live via Pay-Per-View from the historic Plaza de Toro in Cancun, Mexico. Proud to be co-promoting with Lou DiBella and Pepe Gonzalez, this promotion features two of Teiken’s undefeated Champions,” said Akihiko Honda, president of Teiken Promotions.

Undefeated WBA Super Featherweight Champion Edwin “Dinamita” Valero (22-0, 22 KO’s) defends his belt as he goes up against Zaid “El Exterminador” Zavaleta (17-2-2, 9 KO’s) in the main event. The Venezuelan southpaw Valero, just 25 years old, packs a monstrous punch and has been showcased by Teiken throughout South America and Japan. In his last fight, Valero scored an eighth round knockout over Nobuhito Honmo (29-5-2, 5 KO’s) in Tokyo on May 3, 2007. Zavaleta, a native of Mexico, has scored two consecutive knockout wins over Gabriel Rojas and Cristian Favela.

The night’s co-feature bout will be an explosive battle between 22 year old undefeated WBC Featherweight Champion Jorge “Golden Boy” Linares (24-0, 15 KO’s) defending his title against Mexican WBC number one contender Gamaliel “El Platano” Diaz (22-6-2, 9 KO’s). Linares, like Valero, is Venezuelan, lives in Tokyo and is promoted by Teiken. The quick boxer has fought in front of fans in South America, the Far East, and once in the U.S. That one bout was his most recent, where he knocked out Oscar Larios (59-6-1, 37 KO’s) on July 21, 2007 in Las Vegas to claim the vacant WBC Featherweight title. A week earlier, Linares’ opponent in Cancun, Diaz, earned the title shot when he won a decision over Elio Rojas (19-1, 13 KO’s) in a WBC eliminator in Mexico.

A loaded undercard is highlighted by Puerto Rican rising star Wilfredo Vasquez Jr. (9-0, 8 KO’s). The undefeated featherweight is the talented son of super bantamweight boxing legend Wilfredo Vasquez (56-9-2, 41 KO’s).

Also featured will be a WBC Featherweight Eliminator between Mexican Rudy Lopez (20-4-1, 14 KO’s) and hard hitting Japanese veteran Naoki Matsuda (28-7-3, 11 KO’s). This is a rematch of what was a sensational fight on March 31, 2007 in Cancun where Matsuda knocked out Lopez in the fifth round.

For more information on “Cancun Night of Champions” please call your local cable or satellite provider or log onto ...___TEIKEN.COM___... or Dibella Entertainment.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kirkland-Conyers Tops 11/30 ShoBox Card

NEW YORK – Hard-hitting World Boxing Council (WBC) No. 11 154-pound contender James Kirkland (20-0, 17 KOs) hopes to continue his ascension to the top of the junior middleweight division when he takes on the dangerous Allen Conyers (11-2, 9 KOs) Friday, Nov. 30, 2007, on ShoBox: The New Generation (live on SHOWTIME at 11 p.m. ET/PT delayed on the west coast).

In the co-feature, undefeated prospect Alfredo Angulo (10-0, seven KOs) will battle Archak Ter Meliksetian (16-5, 13 KOs). Gary Shaw Productions, LLC, will present the doubleheader from Chumash Casino Resort in Santa Ynez, Calif.

Kirkland, of Austin, Texas, has knocked out 17 of his 20 opponents and is a legitimate contender at 154 pounds. Another convincing win could put him in consideration for a world title shot.

"This is another huge opportunity for me and a tough fight,” said Kirkland, who will make his fourth consecutive ShoBox appearance in 2007. “Conyers is a really dangerous opponent, so it should be an entertaining fight. I am ready to show the country that I am the real deal.”

In his last fight, the 23-year-old Kirkland dropped Mohamad Said three times en route to a scintillating second-round knockout. Kirkland scored two knockdowns in the first stanza before a beautiful, perfectly timed three-punch combination to the chin ended matters at 2:32 of the second.

“I showed people what I am capable of in my last fight on SHOWTIME,” said the dangerous southpaw. “On November 30, I plan to bring the same punching power.

Kirkland has been impressive in all of his appearances on the critically acclaimed SHOWTIME program. In his ShoBox debut, Kirkland used the courageous Billy Lyell as a human punching bag en route to scoring an eighth-round knockout on Feb 2, 2007, at Chumash. Four months later in his second appearance, Kirkland, who fights with Mike Tyson-esque ferocity, defeated Ossie Duran via 10-round decision at Chumash.

Now, Kirkland wants to follow in the footsteps of the 22 former ShoBox fighters who have gone on to become world champions.

“I know that I have to perform on ShoBox to get my chance to fight on SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING,” said Kirkland, who will take on his 10th opponent in the past 19 months. “This is what Nonito Donaire did. If I perform well, I will get my big shot.”

Kirkland cannot look past Conyers, a hard-punching brawler who has knocked out each of his last three opponents within two rounds.

Conyers, of Bronx, N.Y., is the New York State welterweight champion. He captured the crown with a first-round TKO over six-foot-two-inch southpaw Russell Jordan on Nov. 3, 2006.

In his last fight, on Feb. 16, 2007, on ShoBox, the five-foot-11-inch Conyers demolished the previously undefeated Derek Ennis with a second-round TKO from Miami. Nov. 30 will represent Conyers’ fifth start since returning to the ring in February 2006 following an 18-month layoff.

“I have had some time off, and I am hungry for another victory,” Conyers said. “It is going to be a good fight because Kirkland and I are both hard punchers. The fans are in for a treat.”

An aggressive, offensive-minded sort, Conyers turned pro at age 25 in January 2002, and is managed by Gil Reyes and trained by Luis Olmo.

In the co-feature, the 25-year-old, Mexican-born Angulo will take on the 29-year-old Armenian-born Ter Meliksetian.

Angulo is a three-year pro who is a stablemate of WBC Light Heavyweight Champion Chad Dawson. The undefeated prospect at 154 pounds is a former amateur star and a 2004 Olympic representative for Mexico.

Prior to his last start Sept. 7, 2007, on ShoBox when he squared off against Emmanuel Gonzalez, Angulo prepared by sparring with Ricky Hatton, Carlos Baldomir, Antonio Margarito, Roy Jones, Jr. and Fernando Vargas. The hard work against some of the most respected boxers in history paid off when Angulo disposed of Gonzalez in less than five minutes.

Midway through the second round, Angulo floored his counterpart with a right hand to the jaw. Moments later, Angulo landed a punishing combination that sent Gonzalez to the canvas for the second time, causing the referee to stop the bout at 1:56 of the second.

Angulo said that his experience sparring against the current or former world champions helped him in his SHOWTIME debut and prepared him for his next bout.

“I learned a lot from fighting those guys and continue to learn one day at a time,” Angulo said. “Sparring with proven champions puts me at a huge advantage. I am ready.”

Ter Meliksetian hopes to get back on track following a recent loss. The last time he fought on ShoBox, in a highly anticipated bout against then undefeated Sechew Powell on Nov. 4, 2005, Ter Meliksetian came in as a once-beaten IBF No. 12 contender. Although he lost the fight in a 10-round unanimous decision, Ter Meliksetian showed he could hit hard and has speed, he has continued to take on tough competition.

The Paterson, N.J., resident is excited to make his ShoBox return, and looks to get back into form with a win over Angulo.

“I need a win on November 30 to prove that I am back,” Ter Meliksetian said.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pavlik-Taylor Rematch: Reload for Second Battle

LAS VEGAS, NEV. - The storied middleweight division has been rife with legendary rivalries. In the ‘40s Rocky Graziano had Tony Zale, in the ‘50s Sugar Ray Robinson, Carmen Basilio, and Gene Fullmer had each other and in the ‘60s Nino Benvenuti had Emile Griffith. However, for the past 40 years the middleweight division has endured a void -- great champions without great championship rivalries.

Until now.

Boxing’s two best middleweights -- undefeated world champion KELLY “THE GHOST” PAVLIK and once-defeated former world champion JERMAIN “BAD INTENTIONS” TAYLOR -- will resume their ring-war hostilities, this time at 166 pounds, when they face-off in a battle of epic proportions. Boasting a combined record of 59-1-1 (46 KOs) -- a sterling winning percentage approaching 97% and victory by knockout ratio of 78% -- the Pavlik vs. Taylor collision explodes Saturday, February 16, at MGM Grand. Promoted by Top Rank and DiBella Entertainment, the 12-round Pavlik vs.Taylor rumble will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View, beginning at 9 p.m. EST / 6 p.m. PST.

Tickets, priced at $600, $400, $300, $200, and $100, go on sale This Saturday! November 24, at 10 a.m. PST, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena box office. Tickets will also be sold at all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations (select Smith’s Food and Drug Centers, Macy’s West at the Fashion Show Mall, and Ritmo Latino.) Ticket sales are limited to eight (8) per person. To charge by phone with a major credit card, call Ticketmaster at (702) 474-4000 or MGM Grand at (800) 929-1111. Tickets are also available for purchase at Las Vegas - Entertainment - Hotel - Resort - Casinos - Vacation : MGM Grand Hotel & Casino or Official Ticketmaster site. Tickets for Concerts, Sports, Arts, Theater, Family, Events, more

“I have made a career out of fighting and beating the best and this fight is no exception,” said Pavlik. “Just because I beat Jermain before doesn’t take away from the fact that he is still the best contender out there. I dedicated my entire being to training to take away his title when we fought the first time and I will do no less to make sure I win this time because that’s what it will take to beat him again.”

"You can over hype this fight, if you want, call it a career defining fight, because that's exactly what this fight is for me,” said Taylor. “This is the most important fight of my career. I'm putting it in my trainer's hands (Ozell Nelson), but I'm putting it in mine also, because I know exactly what I have to do. Ozell has been with me from the beginning, he knows the buttons to push with me that made me a world champion. We are ready to go back to work like we used to do it.”

“J.D. Power and Associates couldn’t rate a fight more dangerous than this one,” exclaimed Pavlik’s promoter Bob Arum, CEO of Top Rank. “Kelly Pavlik is Youngstown’s real-life John Henry -- a steel-drivin’ man with hammers for fists. Only Kelly’s not folklore, he’s the real McCoy. He has captured the imagination of sports fans and media worldwide. Anyone who gets into the ring not only fights Kelly, but all of Youngstown. Their first fight was a classic and boxing fans can expect no less this time.”

“Taylor-Pavlik was one of the great middleweight fights in memory and a fight that truly deserves a second go, said Lou DiBella, CEO of DiBella Entertainment, Taylor’s promoter. “I am proud to be co-promoting the rematch and I’m confident that Jermain can reverse the first result.”

"The first battle between Kelly Pavlik and Jermain Taylor became an instant classic and has fight fans still buzzing," said Mark Taffet of HBO Pay-Per-View. "The Pavlik-Taylor II rematch will undoubtedly be one of the most highly-anticipated matchups of 2008."

Pavlik (32-0, 29 KOs), from Youngstown, Ohio, joins former lightweight champions Harry Arroyo and Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini as hometown world champions. He returns to the ring after a “Fighter of the Year” performance, knocking out Jose Luis Zertuche (19-3-2, 14 KOs) and Edison Miranda (28-1, 24 KOs), in world title elimination bouts, earning him the right to become Taylor’s mandatory challenger. All told, Pavlik Ghost wrote a career year against three of the best, who boasted a combined record of 74-4-3 (55 KOs) when he faced them. Pavlik’s stoppage of Taylor extended his two-year victory by knockout streak to nine bouts.

Taylor, (27-1-1, 17 KOs), from Little Rock, Arkansas, the 2000 U.S. Olympic Bronze Medalist, captured the undisputed middleweight title in 2005 when he dethroned Bernard Hopkins, ending the defending champion’s record run of consecutive title defenses at 20 -- a run that left world champions Oscar de la Hoya, Felix Trinidad, and Glen Johnson in his wake, among others. Taylor ruled the division for nearly two years, successfully defending his title four times, all against former world champions, including Hopkins again, Winky Wright, Kassim Ouma and Cory Spinks.

The Pavlik-Taylor II pay-per-view telecast, beginning at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT, has a suggested retail price of $49.95, will be produced and distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View and will be available to more than 61 million pay-per-view homes. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. HBO Pay-Per-View is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry. For your Pavlik-Taylor II fight week updates, log on to HBO Online.

For room packages and availability and event ticket information about the MGM Grand, call (800) 929-1111 or (702) 891-7777 or log onto the World Wide Web at Las Vegas - Entertainment - Hotel - Resort - Casinos - Vacation : MGM Grand Hotel & Casino

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Daniel Geale Meets Dan Dawson on Dec. 14

For some of the less fortunate kids in the Macarthur district, this Xmas may be just a little more comfortable thanks to the combined efforts of Grange Old School Boxing, Wests, Campbelltown and the fighting “Sons of Macarthur”.

The I.B.O. World Middleweight Title will be decided on Friday the 14th of December at Wests, Campbelltown, in an event that will feature the auctioning of several donated
memorabilia pieces, all proceeds from these auctions will go directly to the Kids of Macarthur Health Foundation, it is anticipated to raise many thousands of dollars for the cause.

The Kids of Macarthur Health Foundation campaigns tirelessly to enhance the quality of health care offered to local children and it is hoped that fight fans will dig deep during the auctions as every penny raised will be applied to the Foundations wish list of much needed medical equipment.

Headlining the show, Mt Annan resident Daniel Geale who will put his undefeated professional status on the line when he clashes with Perth’s Daniel “The Rock” Dawson in a much anticipated World Title fight.

Hailed by industry experts as the hottest property in Australian Boxing today, Daniel Geale said yesterday that

“This is what I’ve been training for all my life and I intend to do my family proud and knowing that it might benefit some ailing kids as well makes the event perfect”.

The hard punching Former World Champion Kickboxer turned professional boxer, Daniel Dawson, boasts a 29win, no loss record with 20 ko’s and feels that he will be to strong for our tenacious technician, however that was his opinion before Geale’s last fight where he made short work of New Zealand Champion – Lee Oti, 3 rounds earlier than Dawson was able to.

The main support bout showcases the talents of the tough welterweight from Currans Hill, former IBO Regional Champion, Mathew Paulley who takes on Victorian, Eddie “The Psycho” Delic in a quest to relieve him of his Australian Title Belt.

In a classic match of brains versus brawn, Paulley a 29 year old, 170 fight veteran [23 professional, 147 amateur] say’s

“If this guys not happy to leave his belt in N.S.W. on the 14th of December he better get a replica made before he leaves”

Having had a previous explosive encounter with Delic stopped due to a head clash, Paulley is confident of picking up where he left off in giving a lesson to the self proclaimed psycho from down south.

Showing why he is now considered a legitimate world top ten contender after his recent attempt at World Title honors ,Camden tattooist “Deadly” Rob Medley climbs straight back into the ring for a 6 round contest against Thailand’s Jakkirt Suwunnalirt, when asked what was in store for his future Medley stated-

“I was back in training a week after the fight determined that the experience will only make me stronger and I won’t stop until I’m crowned World Champion”.

As one of the most popular fighters in Australia there will be thousands of fans around the country applauding his determination and one can only imagine what fistic fury is about to be unleashed on our Asian neighbor.

The last but by no means least “Son of Macarthur”, Steve Casserley of Narellan will make his professional debut at the event, fighting Michael Thaiday the brother of Queensland Bronco footballer Sam Thaiday.

After a short sharp 25 fight amateur career which saw Casserley take the N.S.W. State 69kg title his trainers from Grange Old School Boxing which include 3 time World champion Jeff Fenech, believe that as a professional he will be a dark horse to be reckoned with in the junior middleweight division.

To complete possibly the strongest 7 fight card seen in Australia this year the Johnny Lewis trained former African Champion, King Davidson will go to war with current Australian Junior Middleweight Champion Frank Lo Porto over 8 rounds, Benny “The Jet” Warburton will spend 18 minutes with Liverpool resident Jakecris Montajes and to round off the night former Cameroon Olympian and current WBO Asian Pacific youth Welterweight Champion Sam Colomban will front up to 3 time former Australian Welterweight Champion Solomon Egberime.

Whether you’re a fan with a bleeding heart or a fan of the bleeding nose this promotion on the 14th December 2007 at Wests, Campbelltown is an opportunity for a community to band together in supporting our local athletes and supply some Xmas cheer for our needy kids.

General admission tickets are $60… Corporate Table tickets…$250 p.h. ..include a 3 course meal…Beer…Wine…,and soft drinks and are available from West’s Campbelltown, 10 Old Leumeah rd, Leumeah..Phone 4628 – 4188.

Doors Open 6.30pm…First Bout…7.00pm…First Auction… 8.00pm…

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tshifhiwa Munyai Returns To Action on 11/30

Commonwealth bantamweight champion Tshifhiwa "The Atomic Spider" Munyai returns to action on Friday, November 30 as chief support to the Ian Napa vs. Martin Power British bantamweight title rematch at London's Newham Leisure Centre.

The electrifying Munyai will face former WBO flyweight champion Jose Lopez Bueno, who has already made a name for himself in Britain by taking former IBO, European, British and Commonwealth titlist Damaen Kelly the distance in a close loss.

A native of South Africa, Munyai, 14-0-1 (8), won the hearts of British fans and climbed into the world rankings by twice stopping former British beltholder Martin Power and handling Commonwealth flyweight champion Lee Haskins in startling displays of power and skill.

33 year old Spaniard Bueno, 29-9-4 (15), will bring the experience of many title fights and has vowed to mount a withering inside campaign upon the towering Munyai.

The bout is a must win for the 21 year old "Atomic Spider" as promoter Frank Maloney is negotiating to have Munyai challenge for the WBC bantamweight title within a year.

Also on the undercard, the super feather contest between Henry Castle and Kevin O'Hara has been upgraded to an eight round bout.

Rounding out the bill are light middle Gary Woolcombe, featherweight Akaash "Kash" Bhatia, light heavy Tony Salem, welter Robert Lloyd Taylor, welter Scott Woolford, lightweight Jamie Radford, super middle Dwayne Lewis and light welter Ross Hewitt.

Frank Maloney Promotions presents ‘The Delicate Sound of Thunder’ featuring the rematch of Ian Napa vs. Martin Power for the Bantamweight Championship of Britain at the Newham Leisure Centre, 281 Prince Regent Lane, London E13 8SD, England on Friday, November 30, 2007.

Tickets are priced at £75 and £40 and are available by logging onto Frank Maloney Official site - the only place for online boxing or by calling the Box Office at 0871 226 1508. Sky Sports televises live in the UK. For any further press information please call 020 8467 7647.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mary Magee Headlines Holiday Boxing Bash

(Merrillville, IN)- On Friday, December 14th, Octavius James’ One In A Million Inc., wraps up another successful year of boxing promotion with their final event of 2007,“The Holiday Boxing Bash,” at Majestic Star Casino in Gary, Indiana. Headlined by newly crowned NABC Women’s Light Welterweight Champion, “Merciless” Mary McGee (12-0, 7 KOs), the card also features the highly anticipated rematch between cross-town rivals Jermaine White of Gary and Ruben Galvan of Hammond, plus, in separate bouts, local standouts Don Moore and Jimmy Perez Jr.

Majestic Star Casino’s beautifully appointed entertainment pavilion provides fans with an intimate, up-close setting for this outstanding card. A limited number of tickets are now on sale to the public.

Priced at $100 VIP, $50 ringside and $30 general admission, tickets are available from any Ticket Master location (312/559-1212), TicketMaster.com or at the Majestic Star Casino’s gift shop.

In the spirit of the holiday season, in the next few days, Octavius James will make a special announcement through the OneInAMillionBoxing.com website. We encourage fans to check the site often for this announcement and the latest updates regarding “The Holiday Boxing Bash.”

Born and raised in Gary, Indiana, undefeated Mary McGee (12-0, 7 KOs) headlines her first event in her hometown as a champion. McGee won the NABC light welterweight title on October 19th with a fifth round TKO over Tawnyah Freeman. Gary’s first and only female boxing champ, McGee enjoys tremendous support from the citizens of Gary, a city with a rich boxing history going back to Tony Zale.

“I’m proud to be from Gary and am looking forward to hearing the announcer say that I’m ‘ Gary’s champ’ when I make my entrance to the ring on December 14th,” McGee said. “I’m the champ, fighting in my city, so that means I’ll have to deliver a special Christmas gift to my opponent…a knock out punch.”

The evening’s co-main event features the highly anticipated rematch between Ruben “The Modern Day Warrior” (27-11-3, 10 KOs) Galvan seeking redemption against cross-town rival Jermaine “Too Sweet” White (15-3, 7 KOs). Last February, Galvan, of Hammond, and White, of Gary, entertained the partisan crowd with 8 rounds of heart and pride. In the end, White won a decision and the IN.B.A welterweight belt.

Gary native “Dangerous” Don Moore (13-0-1, 10 KOs) looks to keep his super featherweight record perfect and Hammond’s Jimmy Perez Jr. (2-0, 1 KO) returns to the ring after scoring a second round TKO on November 16.

Majestic Star Casino is located at One Buffington Harbor in Gary, IN.

Doors to the “Holiday Boxing Bash” open at 7 p.m. First bout at 8 p.m.

For more information on “The Holiday Boxing Bash” or to register to win tickets to the event, visit Welcome to One In A Million, Inc.. Watch our site for our soon-to-be-announced “12 Days of Christmas Fan Appreciation Promotion” and the special announcement from Octavius James.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
King Makes Surprise Visit To Troops in Iraq

ARLINGTON, Va. – Legendary promoter Don King packed quite a punch during a special visit to troops in Germany and Iraq as part of a USO/MNC-I expeditionary entertainment tour during Thanksgiving weekend (Nov. 22-25).

After dining with military personnel at the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany on Thanksgiving, he spent time with wounded service members, rubbed elbows with redeploying soldiers at Ramstein Air Base, posed for pictures and signed autographs.

King later surprised U.S. forces in Iraq with an unannounced visit and special viewing of the Don King Productions and Main Events co-promoted match featuring “Ferocious” Fernando Vargas vs. Ricardo “El Matador” Mayorga boxing event, which was beamed live from STAPLES Center in Los Angeles.

Vargas vs Mayorga was televised live to all troops internationally via Armed Forces Network courtesy of Don King Productions. (King has quietly given all of his boxing events to AFN free of charge for decades.)

Airing just before the fight, King and the troops he was visiting were included on the American pay-per-view telecast of the event via a live hook-up from Iraq. President George W. Bush also appeared on the telecast, expressing his heartfelt thanks and praise to service men and women serving in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. Immediately following the fight, King mingled and ate lunch with troops in the military dining facility.

“I was supposed to be in Los Angeles to attend my boxing event on the day after Thanksgiving, but there is nothing more important to me than the men and women serving in our great American armed services,” King said. “They are the vanguard of our nation, and when I was invited to visit them in Iraq, it didn’t matter what day it was, I wanted to be there for them.

“My esteemed wife Henrietta could not join me in person for this USO tour but joins me in spirit as we celebrate the great sacrifices that members of our armed forces make in defending our country and the very democracy we are afforded. We are privileged to be Americans.”

Following his USO-sponsored trip to Iraq, Mr. King has planned a three-city stateside base tour and moral booster for the military. He will be joined on this tour titled "We Care" by five-time world champion Felix "Tito" Trinidad and eight-time world champion Roy Jones Jr.

He intends to visit with cadets at West Point Military Academy on Dec. 3; Eglin Air Force Base, Hulbert Field Training Base, and the Pensacola Naval Air Station in Florida on Dec. 5; and Fort Buchanan and Camp Santiago in Puerto Rico on Dec. 6.

King added: “We want to thank Jim Dolan, his dad Chuck Dolan and mother Helen for supporting our troops and hosting the Trinidad-Jones match "Bring on the Titans" at Madison Square Garden on Jan. 19.

A longtime supporter of the U.S. armed forces, King visited the home of the “Screaming Eagles,” the U.S. Army’s 101st Airborne Division at Fort Campbell in Kentucky. During his visit, he was made an Honorary “Screaming Eagle” by then Lieutenant General David Petraeus for his continuous contributions and support that has resulted in a permanent memorial being built.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vargas-Mayorga Replay: ESPN on Dec. 1

Exclusive Replay of the Vargas- Mayorga Fight Saturday, Dec. 1 at 8 P.M., ET on ESPN Classic

ESPN Classic will broadcast the exclusive replay of Ricardo Mayorga's decision over Fernando Vargas on Saturday, Dev. 1 at 8 p.m., ET. Last night, at the Staples Center in Los Angles, Mayorga knocked down Vargas in the first and 11th rounds to capture a majority decision in a 12-round super middleweight bout.

Two judges scored the Nicaraguan fighter a winner by scores of 115-111 and 114-112 while the third saw the bout as a 113-113 draw.

Mayorga, who dominated the bout early and late, improves to 28-6-1. Vargas, who said before the fight that win or lose he would retire, falls to 26-5. He had 22 victories by knockout.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Salido Takes on Avila on Dec. 14 in Cicero

Headliners have been announced for the massive nine bout Chicago SOLO BOXEO televised DECEMBER FURY event set for Friday, December 14th at Cicero Stadium.

Advance tickets for DECEMBER FURY, presented by Dominic Pesoli’s

8 Count Productions, HOME OF THE BEST IN CHCAGO BOXING, are available in advance by calling 312-226-5800. Cicero Stadium is located at 1909 S. Laramie, just minutes from the Eisenhower and Stevenson Expressways. Doors for this event will open at 5:30pm with the first bell at 6:30pm.

In the main event, two time world title challenger Orlando Salido will return to Chicago to face Hector Julio Avila in a ten round featherweight bout. Salido, 28-9-2 (18KO’s) of Sonora, Mexico is coming off an eight round decision over Marty Robbins at Chicago’s Congress Theater on September 14th.

The 27 year old Salido’s eleven year career includes wins over Rogers Mtagwa, Cesar Soto, Radford Beasley, Carlos Gerena and Lamont Pearson. He is currently ranked #3 by the IBF.

Heavy handed Avila, 39-3 (36KO’s) of the Dominican Republic, is making his Chicago debut. He has lost only once in the last seven years, at one point running off eleven in a row, ten by knockout.

The co-main event will pit Miguel “EL ANESTESISTA” Huerta of Mexico City against Puerto Rican Daniel Alicea in a ten round lightweight bout.

Huerta, 25-8-1 (17KO’s) knocked out Antonio Ramirez on December 22, 2006 in his previous battle at Cicero Stadium. Currently ranked #8 in the world by the WBC, Huerta is coming off a decision win broadcast on SOLO BOXEO over Efren Hinojosa on August 30th in Houston, Texas.

The veteran Alicea brings a record of 30-6-2 (22KO’s) into the battle with Huerta.

The outstanding DECEMBER FURY undercard includes world ranked light heavyweight Tavoris Cloud, bantamweight fan favorite Francisco Rodriguez, middleweight Victor Polyakov and heavyweight Carl Davis.

Also appearing at DECEMBER FURY is former amateur standout Francisco Tafoya and newcomers Eric Estrada and Greg Dziubek.

The Master of Ceremonies for DECEMBER FURY will be Lupe Contreras, the internationally recognized voice of Latino boxing.

Along with Dominic Pesoli’s 8 Count Productions and Bob Arum’s Top Rank Incorporated, DECEMBER FURY is presented by TCF Bank, Tecate Beer and AeroMexico, Mexico’s premier airline travel headquarters. The SOLO BOXEO broadcast will be viewed in 42 US markets and 70 foreign countries.

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe Calzaghe Names Bernard "Mary Hopkins"

Unified Super-Middleweight king Joe Calzaghe has re-named Bernard Hopkins as Mary Hopkins* after the American's latest attempt to back out of a showdown.

Hopkins trainer Nazim Richardson said that his man should meet the winner out of boxing dinosaurs Roy Jones Jnr and Felix Trinidad rather the face the hard-hitting undefeated Welshman.

Calzaghe, who previously said that Hopkins would do his best to talk his way out of a fight against him, has likened Hopkins to Mary Poppins from the 1962 classic movie:

He said, 'As of now Bernard Hopkins should be called Mary Hopkins. Every time he says my name it's: SUPERCALZAGHEFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS!'

'In fact, there is more fight in Mary Poppins than Hopkins. I'd have more respect for him if he just came out and said: "Joe, look, if I fight you I'm going to get my ass seriously beat. I accept that you are the best so why don't you just let me be and allow me to fight the winner of these old guys so I can just have an easy pay day" but instead, he's got his trainer to basically say: "Thanks, but no thanks, Bernard doesn't need to tangle with a dangerous young guy like you."

Referring to 2002 when Hopkins agreed to fight Calzaghe for $3 million only to come back the next day and demand $6m, Calzaghe said: 'If he is the legend that he says he is then fight me, otherwise be known as the guy who twice chickened out of fighting Joe Calzaghe.'

'At least Mary Poppins took a Spoonful of Sugar to help the medicine go down, Hopkins won't get that luxury against me!'

*Not to be confused with the Welsh folk singer of the same name who recorded the classic You've Had Your Day (My Friend). Sorry, correction, Those Were The Days (My Friend) which will be used on another press release!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts