Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who takes it out of the 2 mediocre giant champions?

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
If it was a 15 round fight, I would have Primo Carnera winning the decision. If it were a finish fight, Willard would have won the fight, because Willard's chin was made of diamond.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
If it was a 15 round fight, I would have Primo Carnera winning the decision. If it were a finish fight, Willard would have won the fight, because Willard's chin was made of diamond.
Willard would quit if he wasn't conditioned to continue. Doesn't matter if his chin was good, he isn't outlasting Primo on conditioning.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dempsey broke his jaw...DAMN HE MUST HIT HARD! HE CRACKED DIAMOND! :eek:

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Dempsey broke more than the man's jaw. Basically his face. (shattered cheeks, broken nose, 4 missing teeth) and broke some ribs too.

As for the conditioning you are right. One of the few matches that Willard lost, he quit in the sixth round saying "I am in no shape to be fighting." But in Willards prime, he had some pretty good endurance. After all, he did go 23 rounds with Jack Johnson to win the championship.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Dempsey broke more than the man's jaw. Basically his face. (shattered cheeks, broken nose, 4 missing teeth) and broke some ribs too.

As for the conditioning you are right. One of the few matches that Willard lost, he quit in the sixth round saying "I am in no shape to be fighting." But in Willards prime, he had some pretty good endurance. After all, he did go 23 rounds with Jack Johnson to win the championship.
26 rounds, and that wasn't Jack Johnson in the ring with him. It was a man who was contemplating how he could escape the country, and what would become of him if he didn't lose the Heavyweight Championship.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They didn't fight 3 minutes of every round back then. And this particular fight...there was action maybe 30 seconds of every round.
I have yet to see a heavyweight fight 3 minutes of every round since Holyfield in his prime. Back in the day they were atleast active for the whole fight, not just looking at eachother or hugging.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
the fight was schedualed for 45 rounds, what do you expect? You still have to have good endurance to fight that long.
30 seconds of fighting and 3 minutes and 30 seconds of either standing around hugging each other or sitting on a stool is managable.

In general fights were at slower paces back then because the gloves were less padded. Dunno how many fights you had with your bare hands but if the fight doesn't end after landing a couple punches flush you're really regretting you didn't knock the guy out. So what happens is, you stop throwing punches.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
30 seconds of fighting and 3 minutes and 30 seconds of either standing around hugging each other or sitting on a stool is managable.

In general fights were at slower paces back then because the gloves were less padded. Dunno how many fights you had with your bare hands but if the fight doesn't end after landing a couple punches flush you're really regretting you didn't knock the guy out. So what happens is, you stop throwing punches.
Actually it is because of how long the fights would go. They needed to save up their energy to keep on going.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Actually it is because of how long the fights would go. They needed to save up their energy to keep on going.
No, it's not. Extending the length of fights was a RESULT of the pace fights went. Padding on gloves was increased, pace of fights picked up, length of fights decreased. That's the order of how it went.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Back in the day they were tougher too, and could take a lot of punishment. That very well could have been a factor too. So I would say that it is everything merged together.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Back in the day they were tougher too, and could take a lot of punishment. That very well could have been a factor too. So I would say that it is everything merged together.
-_-

Prove they were tougher. You can't. No one can. This is not a fact, it's fiction. Fighting in a less civilized sport does not make you tougher. This kind of logic makes people think Rugby players are real men while American Football players are sissies. Anyone with an objective point of view can discern this is not the case.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
They lived in harder times, how could they not be tougher? Explain to me why Arthur Abraham is the only man who can handle a broken jaw during a fight during modern times, when I can name at least three from the old times.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
They lived in harder times, how could they not be tougher? Explain to me why Arthur Abraham is the only man who can handle a broken jaw during a fight during modern times, when I can name at least three from the old times.
Because Arthur isn't the only one, just the only one you know. Not everyone who finishes a fight with a broken jaw is a household name dude.

Also, less jaws break these days because we use larger gloves now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.