Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I am by no means a boxer, and have never boxed before. However, i have bought some equipment at home, such as: Heavybag, speedball, skipping rope, and double end bag. Yesterday i had my first shot at the heavy bag, and realised, that i simply don't know how to punch. I found that sometimes i was hitting the bag with the palm portion of my hand, when attempting a right hook for instance, and also developing wrist pain because of my technique.

I was wondering if there is any online videos out there, to help the true beginner in learning how to punch using proper technique on the heavy bag? If anyone could post a few video links if they have any, that would be great.

I am no means taking up boxing, in terms of contact and competition. Merely doing boxing training, to hopefully become fitter, healthier, and increase my stamina.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Is there any boxing gyms in your area? It would be best if you went to a professional and learnt the proper technique for punching really. And also, when your using the heavybag dont forget to wrap your hands and that could also make your hands hurt more.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
If your palm is hiting the bag, then your not bringing your elbow up high enough. When throwing a hook, your forearm should be perpendicular to the ground, and instead of your thumb pointing up in the air, it should point toward you.

As far as videos go, title makes a great boxing dvd instructional series. There dvd's can be found on ebay, or at their site: Boxing Videos & Books - DVD & VHS from Title Boxing

·
Registered
17 Posts
just clicking onto youtube for five minutes can give you tips and technique hints faster than ordering a dvd....just make sure it's someone who's a credible source

·
Registered
9 Posts
there are many sites that can help youtube is good but actual boxing sites are better one of my favs is rossboxing he has great vids

1 - 8 of 8 Posts