Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

regarding boxing gloves, are the gloves the pros wear in the ring the same ones we can buy online and in magazines, or are they usually custom/specially made or something? Like some Reyes ones I've seen De La Hoya wear, or the red/grey Grants that Mayweather wore vs Hatton; are these same ones (not necessarily same color) available to amateurs and casual boxers for purchase?

Also, as I was just reading that Jones Jr. had to change his gloves for the Trinidad fight, another question came to mind. When it comes down to chosing gloves for a fight, do both boxers have to agree to use the same gloves or just agree to allowing the opponent to wear the gloves they chose?

Thanks guys.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Good questions Blade!

For the first one, yes the same gloves are available to the public as they use in the ring. You just have to make sure they are the Pro Fight model. Of course as you pointed out, the colors they wear in the ring are the "special order" part, but they can also be had by the general public.

As far as gloves go, they dont have to wear the same type of gloves, they just have to agree on what each chooses. Whatever is written in the contract is what they have to follow come fight night.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a side not I feel it was horse ***** that Jones couldnt use Grants even though the contract was for everlast considering Trinidad didnt make weight and Jones let it go.....

Sorry for the rant...Jones still made him look stupid in the ring...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts