Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im more of a weightlifter but recently i got a punch bag in my mini gym something like this in the picture.

Now ive been punching hell out of it mainly to work on my cardio, but after about 5 minutes i get sweaty hands so i like to take my gloves off and punch it without any gloves on.

My qustion is, will punching an hard punch bag without gloves on do more damage to my hands in the long run then good?

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
i like to take my gloves off and punch it without any gloves on.

My qustion is, will punching an hard punch bag without gloves on do more damage to my hands in the long run then good?
Actually, yeah it probably will.
It certainly won't teach you to punch with full power, though it might clean up your technique a little bit, and expect bloody knuckles.

don't be this guy:

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Wear at the minimum, bag gloves while your punching the bag.
You *should* be wearing handwraps as well under the gloves to protect the small bones in the hand that can be easily damaged.

Handwraps also absorb alot of the sweat. Id recommend pickin gup a set of handwraps, and possibly a more breathable pair of gloves.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
If I were you I'd still punch with the gloves on. When I first started I was punching the heavybag with no wraps on and they were thing gloves, and after a while my knuckles started to sting, but I ignored it figuring it was nothing. When I took the gloves off, to my surprise, blood was all over and my knuckle was very badly skinned and hurt like crap. Ever since then if I don't wrap my hands, I were thicker gloves with good padding.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
You can do it a few minutes to harden your knuckles. I do knuckles pushups on a wooden floor regularly.
You can get away with that, but punching the heavy bag is a far higher amount of force (impact)on the bones in the hand. Definitely not recommended to do it without protection.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You should be wearing a pear of some 180 inch hand wraps under your gloves to protect your hands from any injuries. When i first started boxing i got the 108 inch wraps ( too short ) and i messed up my wrist while boxing and couldn't train for 2 weeks. Go to a big 5 or sport chalet and get the longest hand wraps you can find, then go to youtube and search for a good tutorial on how to wrap your hands properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers all i will try and stick with using some protection when smacking hell out of the bunch bag.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Not really..depends how hard he hits it. Thats like saying if he hits glass for 10 seconds long he wont break his hand. It takes a second of impact to break your hand. Obviously he doesn't box he lifts weights so he doesn't punch correctly which will give him a greater chance of breaking his hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts