Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Your either born with a good punch or your not

There are exercises to somewhat increase your speed that will make your punch appear harder and do more damage. Things like hitting the bag with weighted gloves or shadow boxing with weight.

Proper punching technique will also add power to your shots. If your punching wrong, you can be losing alot of power. You want to make sure you catch guys at the very end of your shots.

But if your hitting at lets say 600 psi and your in your 20's, chances are, you wont be able to hit much harder ever

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
the bigger the puncher the bigger the punch... get big and a polished technique, dont forget to position and move your legs properly

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I do punch pretty hard. I was just asking if there was anyways of increasing it. A martial arts expert said punching a padded wall and keep going at it and imagine your breaking through it will increase your punch if you keep going with this plan/exercise. And where can I find something to measure my PSI in my punch where can I find the machine that will tell me?

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I really have no idea. Theres a place in my town that has one but i have no idea where you live So i cant help ya. You can't increase power. You can punch that padded wall all you want, it wont make you hit harder.

If you punch "pretty hard" then dont worry about it

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Actually I do punch pretty hard. I was just asking if there was anyways of increasing it. A martial arts expert said punching a padded wall and keep going at it and imagine your breaking through it will increase your punch if you keep going with this plan/exercise. And where can I find something to measure my PSI in my punch where can I find the machine that will tell me?

I wouldn't put to much weight into what a martial arts instructor says to you bud, go down a boxing gym and talk to a proper trainer, he'll ask you to hit the big then he'll give you some pointers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you increase your fast-twitch muscles, you could add some power to your shots, but im pretty sure as already stated its alot to do with genetics.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
It doesnt even come down to genetics. Its just your either born with a heavy hand or your not. You can increase strength in your forearm to have a harder fist and increase your speed, but thats about it. And it'll only give the illusion that you hit harder. It wont actually increase your power though

Fast twitch muscle fibers are born as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It doesnt even come down to genetics. Its just your either born with a heavy hand or your not. You can increase strength in your forearm to have a harder fist and increase your speed, but thats about it. And it'll only give the illusion that you hit harder. It wont actually increase your power though

Fast twitch muscle fibers are born as well.
Everything is from birth. Everything can be improved with training. This rule is universal.

Try improving technique. Don't listen to some idiot with a black belt who hits a wall. That's just stupid. I could punch through a wall without even trying, so don't think he has some kung fu secret for you.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Getting bigger has nothing to do with punching harder. It'll slow you down and your punch wont have as much on it.
Sorry man I'm just going with science here... The bigger your body is, the bigger the weight you can carry in your punch when its executed properly, so as for PSI, it does increase.

But we know the impact force isnt everything, I mean, I'm sure Pavlik would have a lower PSI count than a bulkyer guy like Abraham. But theres no doubt Pavlik is the harder puncher, its not only strenght, its also the way you land the punch, the way you lay your hand on someones face and the time of contact...

And about this wall thing.. Just forget it.. If you're planning to increase your power the way to go isnt by becoming lunatic or imagining youre superman...

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
If you get bigger and retain your speed (like pbf has done) you will be punching harder.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
You dont punch harder. You just still cant see his punch with the same amount of power he has always had. If this was the case, Pacquiao would be knocking out middleweights and pavlik should be knocking out heavyweights......

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
You dont punch harder. You just still cant see his punch with the same amount of power he has always had. If this was the case, Pacquiao would be knocking out middleweights and pavlik should be knocking out heavyweights......
When a guy moves up its a whole different thing, and you can be sure Tommy Hearns at 168 could punch harder than at 147, not pound-for-pound though. When you pack some weight your punch usually gets harder (full numbers, like psi), but p4p it doesnt increase as much, sometimes it decays.. Jones for exemple, theres no doubt his punch was alot stronger when he bulked up to HW than when he was just a middleweight or supermiddleweight, but p4p he was a bigger puncher at 160 or 168.

and well, I saw that on fightscience on NatGeo (yeah I know most of that is bias), and a study about that in college

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I'm with you man, punchers are born not made. If you dont have the power it really wont make you a big pucher by lifting weights, not because ur psi wont increase, but because its more a matter of how you execute a punch, I think tito and pavlik are good exemples of what im saying. Muscles help but are just a small factor in the equation

1 - 16 of 16 Posts