Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

who?

Punching Power: Tyson-Marciano

13K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  bill1234 
#1 ·
we all know that marciano had hands of stones, and would leave any boxer in the floor with 1 PUNCH, he had great power and great stamina

Tyson - Kid dynamite, known for having great head movement, great stamina, great speed, great stamina and a good chin.

who in your honest opinion thinks hits harder. please cast your vote and discuss why you picked who you picked.

#4 ·
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
I picked Tyson. Bill we've already had the back and forth argument on Tyson's power so I don't even need to state my opinions. Shavers should have been a choice ;)
But I was just getting warmed up in those. I feel like this debate, so anyone else...BRING IT ON!!!:laugh:

#7 ·
Ok IMO Marciano knocked out guy’s way back when… Awesome, Great. Things changed; times changed… fighters train different they are all around better athletes than they were back in the day. Ok this is a bad example but it will work. You take “THE OAK” Arnold Swarzenegger and how he was SOOO big and beat anyone and everyone in competition (Mr Olympia and so on). Now days if you took him at his prime he would look average to all the other guys. Meaning the knowledge and technology is different compared to way back when. SO after all that has been said, my point was TYSON knocked out all these guys that trained different, that were bigger and better. I think it was ALI’s daughter that once said. “My dad was GREAT, my dad was good. But man some of the things he did then he could not do in the sport of boxing now days”. Anyway I don’t know if I’m making any sense but I’m just saying TYSON was powerful as hell for his time and Marciano was for his time. It’s really hard to bring up fighters from the past and compare them to how fighters are now. Another example would be Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu master Hoyce Gracie came into the MMA world and beat EVERYONE…. Got out as champ and came back after like 10 years in top condition but one thing happened. He fought the CURRENT title holder MATT HUGHES. Well a lot of people including myself was like MATT is dead but MATT DOMINATED the fight and won. Point is you can’t really take a PAST champion and compare him to a modern day champion. It’s not really fare. PLUS people will argue and argue and argue but you can’t compare them…. But maaaaaan I loved watching both TYSON and MARCIANO FIGHT!!!!!!

O yeah if you watch "Coming to America" in one scene they argue this exact thread. Ite great you should check it out if you havent seen it already!

#9 ·
WES said:
Ok IMO Marciano knocked out guy’s way back when… Awesome, Great. Things changed; times changed… fighters train different they are all around better athletes than they were back in the day. Ok this is a bad example but it will work. You take “THE OAK” Arnold Swarzenegger and how he was SOOO big and beat anyone and everyone in competition (Mr Olympia and so on). Now days if you took him at his prime he would look average to all the other guys. Meaning the knowledge and technology is different compared to way back when. SO after all that has been said, my point was TYSON knocked out all these guys that trained different, that were bigger and better. I think it was ALI’s daughter that once said. “My dad was GREAT, my dad was good. But man some of the things he did then he could not do in the sport of boxing now days”. Anyway I don’t know if I’m making any sense but I’m just saying TYSON was powerful as hell for his time and Marciano was for his time. It’s really hard to bring up fighters from the past and compare them to how fighters are now. Another example would be Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu master Hoyce Gracie came into the MMA world and beat EVERYONE…. Got out as champ and came back after like 10 years in top condition but one thing happened. He fought the CURRENT title holder MATT HUGHES. Well a lot of people including myself was like MATT is dead but MATT DOMINATED the fight and won. Point is you can’t really take a PAST champion and compare him to a modern day champion. It’s not really fare. PLUS people will argue and argue and argue but you can’t compare them…. But maaaaaan I loved watching both TYSON and MARCIANO FIGHT!!!!!!

O yeah if you watch "Coming to America" in one scene they argue this exact thread. Ite great you should check it out if you havent seen it already!

If the guys are sooooo much better now-a-days, why is it they can barely go 12 rounds with out an oxygen tank? Why is it they throw 10 punches and clinch the rest of the round? Why is it there are 4 heavyweight title holders and not just 1 heavyweight champion of the world? Marciano's "Suzie Q" (his strongest right hand punch) was tested in the mid 1960's for power, so he was a little over 10 years past his prime, and way out of shape. His "Suzie Q" was figured out to have enough force behind it to spot lift 1000lbs 12 inches off of the ground, and had more force than an armor piercing bullet. NOW THAT IS POWER!!! Marciano had sooooooooo many 1 punch KO's. Tyson had soooooooooooo many combination KO's. Tyson had more snap, precision, accuracy, and timing to help him with his KO's. Marciano had nothing but pure power. A single right hand from the Rock, you were out cold for over a minute. A single right hand from Tyson, you were on the canvas, but up before 8.

#10 ·
bill1234 said:
If the guys are sooooo much better now-a-days, why is it they can barely go 12 rounds with out an oxygen tank? Why is it they throw 10 punches and clinch the rest of the round? Why is it there are 4 heavyweight title holders and not just 1 heavyweight champion of the world? Marciano's "Suzie Q" (his strongest right hand punch) was tested in the mid 1960's for power, so he was a little over 10 years past his prime, and way out of shape. His "Suzie Q" was figured out to have enough force behind it to spot lift 1000lbs 12 inches off of the ground, and had more force than an armor piercing bullet. NOW THAT IS POWER!!! Marciano had sooooooooo many 1 punch KO's. Tyson had soooooooooooo many combination KO's. Tyson had more snap, precision, accuracy, and timing to help him with his KO's. Marciano had nothing but pure power. A single right hand from the Rock, you were out cold for over a minute. A single right hand from Tyson, you were on the canvas, but up before 8.

you have point, BUT i wasn't meaning like right now, the heavyweights are garbage right now. I was talking more of the post Ali era. Right before and after Tyson... like I have said before. WHEN TYSON left BOXING (when he went to jail) boxing and the heavyweight division left with him. Because Lewis was the beginning of the end in boxing and i couldn't stand the division when he was dominating. it was just pathetic and BORING... TYSON was the man, and when he left i stopped watching the heavyweights because they were all garbage.

anyway i wasn't trying to take anything way from Marciano by any means. i was just making a point by how times change.

#13 ·
I think people are mixing up raw power with other factors such as speed, timing, snap, and accuracy/placement. In terms of raw power, Marciano has more power. He was knocking guys cold with 1 punch, even when he was losing. Marciano had mainly raw power and little snap, but that raw power would KO you with 1 punch. IMO there are 3 types of power.

1) Raw Power

The raw power that would knock you cold with 1 shot in a flash. Marciano, Shavers, and Cooney are good examples of this type of power.

2) Clubbing Power

Clubbing power is what Foreman had. A lot of power, and tremendous force, but most people would get up 3-4 times before just not getting up or the ref stopped it. These kind of guys, just like the raw power, rate very high on the PSI scales, just they have trouble keeping guys down.

3) Rounded Puncher

A rounded puncher is a guy who has a mix of things to get his KO's, but mainly TKO's. Tyson had this. A lot of snap and speed, which helps keep guys down, but neither of these are power. He had some raw power, but not enough to keep very many people down with 1 punch. He had great accuracy and timing too, which is another factor that will get his KO's/TKO's. You'll notice that with most of Tyson's KO's, the people were still conscious, just on queer street, big time. Like when Tyson fough Holmes, he knocked Holmes down 3 times in the 4th round, 2 completely legit, 1 with a little help from a push. Holmes was badly hurt for 2/3 of those, but the first one was the worst. Larry was really rocked by a great right that came over Larry's jab, he went in for a clinch, Tyson took a step back, and gave Larry a little push, and Larry went down, but was up at the count of 4. Then he was in survival mode, he lasted another 15 seconds, wham, went down again, mainly from being off balance, he was up at 3. Then Larry survived another minute until he was in the corner, through a right uppercut with bad intentions, but it got tangled in the ropes on its way there, Tyson landed 2 great right hooks in a row, some of the best he through, and Larry went down with 6 seconds left in the round. Cortez didn't even bother to count (him being him :mad: ) and stopped the fight. Tyson with 3 knockdowns, wasn't able to KO Larry, landing his best shots. Afterward, Larry said that Cooney and Shavers hit harder. Most guys say theve never been hit harder than Tyson, because they haven't fought anyone with massive raw power. Another example, Tyson's fight with Michael Spinks. Again, Tyson landed his best uppercut, possibly he ever threw, and it landed flush on Spinks's face, Spinks was down for the count, but he was only on queer street, not out cold.

Those were some of my points and opinions, I'll probably post more later.

#14 ·
last tiem i checked, it took marciano a whole lot longer to get a ko than it did for tyson. Tyson had alot more 1 punch power than marciano. Most of his knockouts were by 1 or 2 punches. Marciano got knockouts in the 11th and 13ths rounds. Heck it took one body shot to completely wipe the floor with th eman who beat larry holmes. Tyson gets my vote with ease.

#15 ·
for example bill. Shavesr knocked holmes down with one of th emost mind blowing blows of all time, yet he got up. Probabley due to holmes age at the time. Tyson finished holmes off with one shot. Holmes at that time was still a decent fighter and always had an aewsome chin, i believe this was the first time he was stopped and even gave tyson a little trouble with his jab in round 3 or so. Tyson was just a physical freak when it came to power, he got so much leverage and snap on his punches. he would of ko'ed everyoen of marciano's opponents at the time that marciano fought them.

#17 ·
tysonjones said:
last tiem i checked, it took marciano a whole lot longer to get a ko than it did for tyson. Tyson had alot more 1 punch power than marciano. Most of his knockouts were by 1 or 2 punches. Marciano got knockouts in the 11th and 13ths rounds. Heck it took one body shot to completely wipe the floor with th eman who beat larry holmes. Tyson gets my vote with ease.
Marciano had a lot of later KO's post 1953. Other than that he was typicaly a guy KO'd you in the first 5 rounds with 1 punch. Tyson would get people with combo's, not 1 or 2 punches. Tyson would knock guys down 2 or 3 times before the ref stopped. Marciano only needed 1 punch, and it was all over. Also, it took 2 knockdowns to get the man who got 2 gift decisions over Larry to stay down.

#18 ·
tysonjones said:
for example bill. Shavesr knocked holmes down with one of th emost mind blowing blows of all time, yet he got up. Probabley due to holmes age at the time. Tyson finished holmes off with one shot. Holmes at that time was still a decent fighter and always had an aewsome chin, i believe this was the first time he was stopped and even gave tyson a little trouble with his jab in round 3 or so. Tyson was just a physical freak when it came to power, he got so much leverage and snap on his punches. he would of ko'ed everyoen of marciano's opponents at the time that marciano fought them.
The right hand that Shavers dropped Larry with was a great haymaker, and Larry said that he was unconscious, but he hit his head on the canvas, which woke him up, and he knew he had to get up quick. Larry when he fought Tyson, was a grandfather, who only had 4 weeks to train, was comming off of a 2 year retirement, and was 17 years older than Tyson. Larry had tons of ring rust, and was way past it. The Holmes of Mercer would have beaten the Holmes the Tyson fight IMO. Tyson knocked Holmes down 3 times, and it took 2 punches to get Holmes down the 3rd time. Then Cortez stopped it. It was the only time Larry was ever stopped. Everyone makes it seem like Marciano was a young guy fighting oldmen, but really he was in his late 20's and early 30's. Tyson's power is overrated by a lot of people. Snap is not power, speed is not power, precision is not powre, timing is not power. Marciano used to break bones in peoples arms. He used to crack their ribs, break their jaw and nose. Make them hurt for months. He put Nino Valdez into a coma with 1 punch.

#19 ·
speeed, timing, precision and snap is power my friend. If its not then every body builder alive would be the boxing champion of the world. How would you explain malignaggi's knocking down of lovemore ndou? or roy jones staggering john ruiz, or evander holyfield, not known as a big puncher, knocking heavyweights out. i know it took tyson 2 drops to get spinks out of there but i dont see marciano knocking that great champ out in 1 round. nor do i see marciano knocking holmes out in 4 rounds either. tysons power has been recorded as more powerful than marcianos'. And its probabley alot more if they would of tested the that uppercut that he got so much leverage on. You can discredit tyson for not having 1 punch power because he liked to throw combo's. Tyson destroyed a clifford etienne and francois botha with one straight right hand, that left the guys nearly unconscious. Holmes would of not known if he was unconscious when he got hit my shavesr, he woudl no thave the mental recolection of remembering such thing. He could say that happened after watching the tape but that woudl just be say so. After goign to college and learning how the brain functions, you will understand this. I have seizures from time to time. That is when leisions in the brain trigger a chemical embalance that make you go unconscious for many reasons, but of the 2 i have had, i dont remember anything, i couldnt tell you what happened or that i was unconscious. But i will admit, that was a monster shot tha tholmes took and not many heavyweights ever could of took that shot. and the shot walcott took in the first marciano fight, no to many could of took that either. Although i do have one argument against that. Roy jones jr got disqualified for a similar reaction after he knocked montell griffin down. If jones would of went on to win that fight, he would o fstill been undeafted, he would of also tied marciano's record at 49 -0 after beating ruiz. He would of broke it against tarver in their first fight which he did win. so althought marciano did ktfo walcott, it todays world, he would of got disqualified. And he would of been 48 - 1 when he retired according to those facts, which makes larry holmes having the best record as a heavyweight. Even though he didnt retire. Just a bunch of stuff to talk about.

#20 ·
Oh lol and the first guy Mike Tyson ever hit under cus d'amato when he was 15 years old, he put in a coma for a week. He also got the best of frank bruno when he was only 16 or 17 i believe. bruno at the time was a british world champion already. And hit at around the same psi as marciano.

#22 ·
tysonjones said:
Oh lol and the first guy Mike Tyson ever hit under cus d'amato when he was 15 years old, he put in a coma for a week. He also got the best of frank bruno when he was only 16 or 17 i believe. bruno at the time was a british world champion already. And hit at around the same psi as marciano.
Marciano never had a PSI test. Back in the mid 60's (Marciano was obviously completely out of shape and didn't hit as hard) Marciano went in for some tests on his power. The scientists figured out that his "Suzie Q" had more force behind it than an armor peircing bullet, and could spot lift 1000lbs 12 inches off of the ground. And about your other post, speed, precision, timing, and snap is not power. Power is the force that you hit the oppenent with. If speed, precision, snap, and timing was power, than Ali, Holmes, and Whitaker would be the hardest hitters of all time. All of that is extra stuff that helps you get the knock out, but its not the actual power.

#23 ·
tysonjones said:
speeed, timing, precision and snap is power my friend. If its not then every body builder alive would be the boxing champion of the world. How would you explain malignaggi's knocking down of lovemore ndou? or roy jones staggering john ruiz, or evander holyfield, not known as a big puncher, knocking heavyweights out. i know it took tyson 2 drops to get spinks out of there but i dont see marciano knocking that great champ out in 1 round. nor do i see marciano knocking holmes out in 4 rounds either. tysons power has been recorded as more powerful than marcianos'. And its probabley alot more if they would of tested the that uppercut that he got so much leverage on. You can discredit tyson for not having 1 punch power because he liked to throw combo's. Tyson destroyed a clifford etienne and francois botha with one straight right hand, that left the guys nearly unconscious. Holmes would of not known if he was unconscious when he got hit my shavesr, he woudl no thave the mental recolection of remembering such thing. He could say that happened after watching the tape but that woudl just be say so. After goign to college and learning how the brain functions, you will understand this. I have seizures from time to time. That is when leisions in the brain trigger a chemical embalance that make you go unconscious for many reasons, but of the 2 i have had, i dont remember anything, i couldnt tell you what happened or that i was unconscious. But i will admit, that was a monster shot tha tholmes took and not many heavyweights ever could of took that shot. and the shot walcott took in the first marciano fight, no to many could of took that either. Although i do have one argument against that. Roy jones jr got disqualified for a similar reaction after he knocked montell griffin down. If jones would of went on to win that fight, he would o fstill been undeafted, he would of also tied marciano's record at 49 -0 after beating ruiz. He would of broke it against tarver in their first fight which he did win. so althought marciano did ktfo walcott, it todays world, he would of got disqualified. And he would of been 48 - 1 when he retired according to those facts, which makes larry holmes having the best record as a heavyweight. Even though he didnt retire. Just a bunch of stuff to talk about.

Marciano wouldn't have gotten disqualified. If he did, then that is one tight ref. If guys are able to go around fighting as dirty as Tyson and Holyfield today, noway would Marciano be DQ'd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.