Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On May 24th at the City of Manchester Stadium, Juan Lazcano (37-4-1, 27 KOs) faces a daunting challenge. The term, "entering the lion's den" is widely used in boxing but never has it been so relevant. The 33-year-old Lazcano takes on Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton (43-1, 31 KOs) for the IBO Jr-welterweight title in front of 55,000 adoring Hatton fans. However, the Mexican has fought in high class for the last five years at lightweight and jr-welterweight and his name of "Hispanic Causing Panic" could be well suited if he managed to overcome Hatton and his vast army of fans. He is supported by the respected trainer Ronnie Shields who told Sky Sports this week in the build up, "We will probably have ten people supporting Juan in Manchester on fight night and Ricky will have 54,990. That does not bother us. We know when the first bell starts it is Ricky Hatton versus Juan Lazcano – one on one."

Lazcano is a big underdog for the bout and many people have given Lazcano little or no chance for the fight which is marketed as the 29-year-old Hatton's "Homecoming." Some people however feel the styles of both fighters will bring an exciting fight and the Mexican is quietly confident of causing a major boxing upset. Interestingly, there has been no pre-fight bad mouthing of Hatton in the build up and Lazcano prefers to go about his physical and mental preparation for his fight within his close knit team. He did take time out yesterday to speak to the media in an international conference call to give his view on the upcoming challenge.

Juan, when are you planning to arrive in the UK for the fight?

We will fly out from the US this weekend and land in the UK on Saturday. This will give us a full week to acclimatise to the weather and the time difference. I have packed my raincoat just in case the weather is cold and wet. People tell me the city of Manchester is renowned for its rain.

How long has your camp been?

In total the camp has been nine weeks and one of the best camps of my career. I have been with Ronnie Shields, who is one of the best in the business and we have had a nutritionalist and strength coach. I am in great physical shape and you will see that next week in Manchester.

Ticket sales have meant this fight will have a 55,000 crowd –- have you ever fought in such an atmosphere?

No. But I am respectful of the British fans and I know they will enjoy a battle of attrition. If people have seen my style they will know this fight will be a battle of attrition-a war. We both have styles that complement each other. We both like to come forward and attack. I am 33 years of age but mentally I have never been as hungry. I have had a type of "resurrection" that has made me into a better fighter. I acknowledge the size of the crowd, but I also acknowledge the size of the opportunity and that excites me. This is what us fighters do – we relish fighting in this type of atmosphere and I am ready for this fight. The "Hispanic Causing Panic" is coming to Manchester May 24th.

What is your opinion of Ricky Hatton?

Ricky is a boxing warrior. He is a warrior with a huge heart. He has an exciting style. I am a warrior also. This is why the fight in Manchester will be so exciting. I have plenty of respect for what he has achieved in boxing. The stage is set for a great fight.

How have you improved as a fighter since your last loss against Vivian Harris?

I am a professional athlete so physically I am in great shape but it is mentally where I have improved. I have undergone a mental resurrection in my personal life and now I actually feel ready for greatness, whereas before I was not ready to realise my potential. I have evolved as a person and I am ready to enter the promise land – like Able and Joshua in the bible. I have become a more spiritual person and with this combination of physical preparation with my team and mental improvement I am ready for the challenge Ricky Hatton brings.

You haven't fought since February 2007, does that put you at any disadvantage?

No. I haven't fought because the right fights haven't been offered. Boxing is often a sport about faith. After my loss to Vivian Harris I did take a long lay off but this has worked to my advantage. The defeat forced me to review my own faith and has made me stronger in the process – mentally. The timing is now, it is symbolic in my resurrection and Ricky Hatton is a tough son of a gun but so is Juan Lazcano. I promise I am in great shape and ready for the challenge and opportunity this fight will bring.

If you were to beat Ricky Hatton in Manchester -- who would you fight next?

I would like to fight Floyd Mayweather. A match did not come off when we were both lightweights but that would be the fight I wanted but first I have a job to do in Manchester. First things are first.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Good read, I'll be rooting for him.

Just a note for ya Gary. Next time, highlight the Questions, that way its easier to read aight? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good read, I'll be rooting for him.

Just a note for ya Gary. Next time, highlight the Questions, that way its easier to read aight? :thumbsup:
got ya :thumbsup:

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Lazcano is one tough sun of a gun , I dout he'll get kayo, but he might get out worked, I think it all depends on what kind of shape Ricky comes in, after all he's just getting over a cold and is putting a great deal of pressure on himself to put on a good show and that might back fire if he tries to hard to knock out the tough as nails Lazcano.....

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I'll be rooting for Lazcano too. Then Malignaggi. I don't want to see Mayweather-Hatton yet, but I do want to see Hatton get beat to pieces one more time before he gets retired.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I'll be rooting for Lazcano too. Then Malignaggi. I don't want to see Mayweather-Hatton yet, but I do want to see Hatton get beat to pieces one more time before he gets retired.
Feather fists wont beat Hatton to pieces. Nor will Lazcano. :thumbsup: :p

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Lazcano is one tough sun of a gun , I dout he'll get kayo, but he might get out worked, I think it all depends on what kind of shape Ricky comes in, after all he's just getting over a cold and is putting a great deal of pressure on himself to put on a good show and that might back fire if he tries to hard to knock out the tough as nails Lazcano.....
I tend to agree bro.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts