Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What i dont understand is, exactly how do body weight exercises not effect speed but weight lifting does? I dont lift weights anymore but i just wanna make sure the body weight exercises ive been doing isnt gonna effect my speed. Because when it comes down to it, its still weight. And about the resistance training, is it aright if i do curles with the bands or not? So far ive only been shadow boxing with them but they seem to be helping

·
Registered
57 Posts
It's not so much, weight training is bad for you, it's rather most of them have no function ofr anything in boxing. Things like pushups increase shoulder muscle, squats, planks, pull ups, and dips, are all good too. Resistence training is great, it increases speed, and spring action for fast combinations. It's okay to do things like weighted pushups, pull ups, squats, etc. Here's a tip if they start to get too light; use a band that is smaller.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
u didnt really answer my question, i know those are all good. my question was how can they NOT effect speed, but weight lifting does when they both include weight.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think he did answer your question. But to simplfy things, bodyweight exercises are not true body weight. Meaning if you weigh 150 lbs, you aren't lifting 150 lbs when you do a push up because your legs act as a lever. Bench Pressing 150 lbs is moving 150 lbs unleveraged, so it is more weight. Weightlifting itself has nothing to do with speed. If you are bodybuilding, you are likely building muscles you don't need, like your rear delts, traps, and other micro-muscles that serve no purpose besides aesthetic. Power lifting movements if done with explosive movements, quick and focused, can build both strenght and speed. You have two types of muscles. White fast twitching, which are for explosive movement, and build size, but lack endurance. Red slow twitching, fill in between the white fast twitching muscles and move slower, but have endurance. Bodybuilding works on both and makes muscle big, strong, dense, and slow. Power lifting with explosive movements, makes it big, strong, and quick, but you won't win any bodybuilding competitions. Flyweights don't train with weight, because generally they are so small even minimal weight training might move them up a couple of weight classes. It has nothing to do with speed. If you trained with light enough weight and were able to maintain your weight class, your speed shouldn't be adversely affected. Heavyweights lift heavier, because putting on 10 to 15 lbs of mass won't greatly affect speed if done correctly. Holyfield was a lifter and even used a lot of bodybuilding movements, yet still had good speed. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
841 Posts
What i dont understand is, exactly how do body weight exercises not effect speed but weight lifting does? I dont lift weights anymore but i just wanna make sure the body weight exercises ive been doing isnt gonna effect my speed. Because when it comes down to it, its still weight. And about the resistance training, is it aright if i do curles with the bands or not? So far ive only been shadow boxing with them but they seem to be helping
I'll answer your question, you have to go deep into muscle anatomy&physiology to understand what you've asked. Long story short, there are thin muscle filaments and thick muscle filaments. Less straining exercises such as body weight exercises and resistance exercises train your thin filaments, which are more in numbers and can become more flexible with less strenious exercises therefore making you stronger while also retaining your quickness. Weight exercises put more stress on both filaments, mostly requiring thick to aid in the heavy lift, thick filaments make the mucsle larger, therefore thick filament action is more damaging to the muscle which requires more recuperation and is less flexible, reducing speed, not a significant reduction imo though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts