Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
"When heavyweight contender Alexander Povetkin tore a ligament in his foot last week and withdrew from a Dec. 13 fight against unified titleholder Wladimir Klitschko, the hunt was on for a new opponent.

All along the leading candidate was former champion Hasim Rahman, and Monday night the deal was signed after several days of hard negotiating."

Hey, the opponent could've been worse.....

·
Keeping it real
3,621 Posts
This is just another example of the reason the heavyweight scene is so poor now,rahman's done nothing to deserve this shot.:confused:

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Rahman doesn't deserves this shot. Toney does.
Yep, and it's not like Toney hadn't been calling him out. I think Rahman got it because the IBF wanted the highest ranked fighter and that was Dimetrenko. He didn't take it for some reason and Rahman was next in line.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Meh, should be fun to see Rahman get knocked out, and by some ridicilous reason Wlad does not knock Rahman out and wins a decision that will be the last time i ever cheer for him, unless hes fighting Haye since i really dont like that kid.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Obviously, Toney is infinitely better than Rahman, but Toney is practically impossible to knock out. At least with Hasbeen Rahman the fight will probably be explosive.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
The entire legacy of this man is defined by ONE punch. Ridiculous.
I agree completely, and I couldn't care any less about this fight. Like someone already said it should be James Toney fighting Wlad. I'd favor Toney to beat him.
Obviously, Toney is infinitely better than Rahman, but Toney is practically impossible to knock out. At least with Hasbeen Rahman the fight will probably be explosive.
I'm not so sure this fight won't be a snoozer man.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Yep, and it's not like Toney hadn't been calling him out. I think Rahman got it because the IBF wanted the highest ranked fighter and that was Dimetrenko. He didn't take it for some reason and Rahman was next in line.
Dimitrenko and Arreola are right in back of Povetkin in the ratings. They also had fights coming up, so they should have been already in training camp and pretty good shape. If they didn't take the fight when it was offered it's either because their camps didn't think they have enough experience or not enough money (though there should be).
I agree completely, and I couldn't care any less about this fight. Like someone already said it should be James Toney fighting Wlad. I'd favor Toney to beat him.

Me neither, after Rahman quit in the Toney fight, this ish is ridiculous. Even before it, he hasn't done ish, he doesn't deserve a shot at the WBF Intercontinental Americas Interim Championship lett alone 2 unified titles. Dude will get rocked and ugged on until he gets knocked out or quits.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
If china chin Wlad gets KOed with 1 punch and Rahman is champion again...I would not have words to describe how I'd feel about the situation.

Anything can happen in boxing...and Rahman isn't a fluke champion anyone wants to see, not even in the US. The only good thing that could possibly come of that is forcing a trilogy with James Toney.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
I agree. At least the Rahman fight will have a (brutal) KO, and also the less rounds watching Wlad the better.

Dimitrenko and Arreola are right in back of Povetkin in the ratings. They also had fights coming up, so they should have been already in training camp and pretty good shape. If they didn't take the fight when it was offered it's either because their camps didn't think they have enough experience or not enough money (though there should be).
I knew it was something along those lines. :thumbsup:

If china chin Wlad gets KOed with 1 punch and Rahman is champion again...I would not have words to describe how I'd feel about the situation.

Anything can happen in boxing...and Rahman isn't a fluke champion anyone wants to see, not even in the US. The only good thing that could possibly come of that is forcing a trilogy with James Toney.
It would be wrong for boxing but it would be pretty funny at the same time. :laugh:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm reminded of the old saying "Fool me once,shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me". I've lost track of the number of times Hassim Rahman has fooled us into thinking he's ever going duplicate the win over Lewis 7.5 years ago. I know that Vlad's suspect chin leads to some hopeful speculation in some parts that Rahman comes up with Lightning in a bottle, but we've been to the Well so many times with this guy and been disappointed, it's hard to take him serious anymore.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Shane-
The prospect of Rahman just following Vlad around the Ring and getting jabbed is both very real and very unappealing. YAWN!!!!! I just hope that there's a clause in the Contract that if Rahman loses this one, we can finally close the book on him.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Unfortunately, Wlad fighting anyone is going to be a snoozer, he just doesn't have a fan friendly style. This fight is a joke and Rahman doesn't deserve a shot, there are at least 10 other HWs more deserving.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts

It can definitely happen when you put a puncher like Rahman against a guy with a fragile chin.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Why couldn't this have been James Toney? He needs a meaningful fight pretty badly and no disrespect to Tony Thompson, but the thought of watching him again doesn't excite me in the least.

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
Why couldn't this have been James Toney? He needs a meaningful fight pretty badly and no disrespect to Tony Thompson, but the thought of watching him again doesn't excite me in the least.
I see both of them fighting on the same day. That says to me they want to market a Wlad vs Toney fight so it will actually sell to the boxing world and just not junkies like us. Now all Toney has to do is win....

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
I see both of them fighting on the same day. That says to me they want to market a Wlad vs Toney fight so it will actually sell to the boxing world and just not junkies like us. Now all Toney has to do is win....
That's what I'm hoping. I still think Toney can fight when motivated.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts