Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...and sorry if there's already a thread on this...but who have you guys met in person?

My personal list is pretty short...

- Joe Frazier (at a bar in Philly once)
- Bernard Hopkins (once at a grocery store)
- 'Terrible' Tim Witherspoon (he came to a deli where I worked a few times in 1988)
- Randall 'Tex' Cobb (several times between '93 and '95 -- true story: a buddy of mine asked Tex to read a poem my buddy wrote at a public reading once. I think the poem was called 'Beer Beer Beer'. Tex was a good sport about it too.)

Your turn...

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
robin reid. ive met rob a good few times, he always comes over to talk to me now because he gets a good laugh (crack)
mike tyson. shook mikes hand when he was in glasgow to fight savarese, met him in the hilton.
zab judah. same as above, zab was fighting witter. (and was an ass to fans, very cocky)
ricky hatton. met ricky a few times now, been down to billys grahams phenox gym a few times.
joe calzaghe. met joe at a boxing dinner, and ive seen him at a few amature events.
scott harrison. trained at his dads gym a few times.
alex arthur he trained with the harrisons at there gym, i met him there.
chris eubank. opened the sports bar in the next town to me, spoke for a good 30mins with me and some mates.
audley harrison. met audley as an amature at internationals, and then after he turned pro at dinners.
herbie hide. spoke with him at an audley harrison fight. (the one hide started a riot at)lol
frank bruno. met frank at the same fight.
ken buchannon (HOF'er) met ken at a few dinners, he does a lot of after dinner speaking.

anthony farnnel, matty hatton, kevin anderson, eammon mcghee, willie limond, jamie moore, "no joke" stewart (hatton sparring partner when i was down), and lots of other guys who aint ranked though.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Larry Holmes
Art Bayliss
and these ex featherweight and welterweight champs from the 80's and early 90's (one of the alphabet titles)

And Ive met a few other pro's. Angle Cruz (fought Saul Mambi and Howard Davis), and Jackie Canzanarie (cousin of the vey good fighter who fough Ray Robinson...Rocky Canzanarie)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
bill1234 said:
Larry Holmes
Art Bayliss
and these ex featherweight and welterweight champs from the 80's and early 90's (one of the alphabet titles)

And Ive met a few other pro's. Angle Cruz (fought Saul Mambi and Howard Davis), and Jackie Canzanarie (cousin of the vey good fighter who fough Ray Robinson...Rocky Canzanarie)
OMG BILL, YOU'VE MET LARRY HOLMES. :eek:

you never told us that before. :laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ouch!

Reminded me of when I met Chris Eubank in a dark alley in Brighton!

Me and mates came out of a greasy spoon all-nighter cafe and saw some tarty 4x4 at the end of the alley. Some smart mouth (namely me) piped up with "What Wanker drives something like that"?

Cue current Super middleweight champion of the world from around the corner...

...:eek:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Ambski said:
Ouch!

Reminded me of when I met Chris Eubank in a dark alley in Brighton!

Me and mates came out of a greasy spoon all-nighter cafe and saw some tarty 4x4 at the end of the alley. Some smart mouth (namely me) piped up with "What Wanker drives something like that"?

Cue current Super middleweight champion of the world from around the corner...

...:eek:
lol....and what did cwis wisp to you?

i thought he was one hell of a funny guy when i met him, we were all pretty drunk and i said to chris that it was his turn to buy a round of drinks, in his weird wisp he just said "next time, next time) and smilled)

he then went onto lecture me and my mates about how drink destroys lives and how he doesn't touch a drop of the stuff.

a few of the guys then tried to take the piss till he started hitting the puch machine in the bar, ive never seen anyone punch that hard or fast and you just knew he wasn't even trying. :laugh:

·
Registered
15 Posts
He just gave me 'the look'. Luckily he wasn't prone to wearing monocles at the time!

I think it was around the time of the Dan Sherry fight at the BC (Brighton Centre), not sure.

I did used to see him around time to time both being Brightonians. We were all real proud of the guy and to be honest, even when I see him doing crazy stuff like the recent 'Eco-truck' inccident, still feel that way.

I agree with you though...LARRY BLOODY HOLMES! :)

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Floyd Mayweather Jr. after his fight with Oscar. I talked with him and others for around 5 minutes. Really down to earth and cool as can be.

Mike Tyson was in the hotel Magnolia in Dallas that I work at. I talked to him for as long as he would let me which was about 10 minutes. He is actually a funny guy.

Jermaine Taylor I have hung out with about 4 or 5 times. I have been to his house or let me say ESTATE in Arkansas . One of the guys I live with is from Arkansas and is cousins of Jermaine. Taylor is one of the coolest guys I have met with fame. He bought everyone's drinks the 3 times we went out to the bars of Arkansas.

Manny Pacquiao/Miguel Cotto when I went to see the Pacquiao vs Solis fight in San Antonio. I only shook their hands and was in awe. They don't speak English too well but Cotto said Hello.

The list goes on...I'm tired of typing. I will finish later.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Floyd Mayweather Jr. after his fight with Oscar. I talked with him and others for around 5 minutes. Really down to earth and cool as can be.

Mike Tyson was in the hotel Magnolia in Dallas that I work at. I talked to him for as long as he would let me which was about 10 minutes. He is actually a funny guy.

Jermaine Taylor I have hung out with about 4 or 5 times. I have been to his house or let me say ESTATE in Arkansas . One of the guys I live with is from Arkansas and is cousins of Jermaine. Taylor is one of the coolest guys I have met with fame. He bought everyone's drinks the 3 times we went out to the bars of Arkansas.

Manny Pacquiao/Miguel Cotto when I went to see the Pacquiao vs Solis fight in San Antonio. I only shook their hands and was in awe. They don't speak English too well but Cotto said Hello.

The list goes on...I'm tired of typing. I will finish later.
i thought mike was a really cool guy, he complimented me on my manchester united tracksuit..lol...he seemed really happy talking to the 10-15 fans who were there.

and of course, crocodile put on his usual loud mouth show for anyone who would listen. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Off the top of my head when I went to Vegas for Oscar v Floyd:
Roger Mayweather, Lennox Lewis, Bert Sugar, Amir Khan, Freddie Roach, Chavez Jr, Durran, Hernandez, Ishe Smith, Antonio Tarver, Floyd Snr

1 - 12 of 12 Posts