Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two-time Olympian and 2007 World Champion Rau’shee Warren (Cincinnati, Ohio) will remain amateur and work toward becoming the first-ever three-time Olympic boxer from the United States.

The 21-year-old was the youngest male U.S. Olympian in any sport at the 2004 Olympic Games before returning for a second Olympic berth in 2008. After winning the first World Championship for the United States since 1999 at the 2007 World Championships, Warren dropped a heart-breaking one point decision in his opening bout at the 2008 Olympics.

“Becoming the first three-time Olympian in U.S. Boxing history is a great opportunity for me,” commented Warren. “With the changes and improvements that USA Boxing is making for London, I’m very much looking forward to representing the United States again.”

A team captain for the 2008 Olympic Team, Warren served as a leader for his Olympic teammates both in and out of the boxing ring.

Rau’shee epitomizes everything that is positive about representing the United States as an Olympian,” added USA Boxing CEO, Jim Millman. “In Beijing, despite a heart-breaking upset loss, Rau’shee remained fully supportive of his teammates, working with them in practice and rooting them on at every bout. He is a perfect role model for our young boxers to emulate.”

Warren joins top ranked super heavyweight Michael Hunter (Las Vegas, Nev.) in maintaining his amateur status. The duo will be a critical piece of USA Boxing’s rebuilding process as the organization begins the journey toward the 2012 Olympic Games in London.

The 21-year-old has been boxing since early childhood, following his older brothers into the gym. Known for his blazing hand speed, Warren has maintained his number one status in the nation since 2004. He has competed at the highest levels of the sport both nationally and internationally, culminating in his world title in 2007.

While two United States boxers, Edward Eagan and Davey Lee Armstrong, both competed in two Olympic Games prior to Warren, he can become the first ever to box in three by earning a berth in London. He is trained by Mike Stafford, an accomplished trainer who has had boxers on the last three Olympic teams.

USA Boxing, as the national governing body for Olympic-style boxing, is the United States’ member organization of the International Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA) and a member of the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).

Source: Olympian Rau'Shee Warren To Remain In Amateurs - Boxing News

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I have no problem with this move. He was robbed against the guy who went on to win gold in his division. That says it all. I can't wait to watch him again.

He will be fine unless he fights some UK dude in London.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
This'll leave him having to be rushed when he turns pro.
True, but he will be entering the pro ranks at his natural weight in which he will most likely remain at for a long time. This has shown to be beneficial in many instances. I have a lot of faith in this kid.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Bad choice. Chances are, he'll get robbed again. This will only discourage him even more. I see no benefit coming from this at all. Staying an Ameteur 4 more years to TRY and win a medal. He could be the best boxer at the 2012 olympics and still lose in the first round again. Theres no getting around the olympic scoring system. Should of turned pro off his recent controversial loss and rode that out to fame in the pro game, because fame in the ameteur game means nothing.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Bad choice. Chances are, he'll get robbed again. This will only discourage him even more. I see no benefit coming from this at all. Staying an Ameteur 4 more years to TRY and win a medal. He could be the best boxer at the 2012 olympics and still lose in the first round again. Theres no getting around the olympic scoring system. Should of turned pro off his recent controversial loss and rode that out to fame in the pro game, because fame in the ameteur game means nothing.

I agree, Boxing in the Olympics just suck and its pointless for him to waste 4yrs trying to obtain medals that are Giveaways for the hometeam.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
I have no problem with this move. He was robbed against the guy who went on to win gold in his division. That says it all. I can't wait to watch him again.

He will be fine unless he fights some UK dude in London.
Aww C'mon Shane he'll get a fair shake over there

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
To make amateur boxing work, the first thing to do is Get rid of the ridiculous scoring system. Then appoint a multi national panel to oversee the judging and scoring. Any blatant or even suspect decisions or officiating of any kind by officials and the person responsible will be severely censured and possibly removed and never be allowed to officiate again
You know when you boil it down its a sad state our world has gotten in when you cannot find honest people to officiate amateur sports

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
To make amateur boxing work, the first thing to do is Get rid of the ridiculous scoring system. Then appoint a multi national panel to oversee the judging and scoring. Any blatant or even suspect decisions or officiating of any kind by officials and the person responsible will be severely censured and possibly removed and never be allowed to officiate again
You know when you boil it down its a sad state our world has gotten in when you cannot find honest people to officiate amateur sports
Definitely. There was a good article in the latest Ring Magazine about the sad state of amateur boxing. Very good read.

·
Registered
270 Posts
He's young enough to try one last time. And he'll have tons of experience once he turns pro.

Guys-
To be honest, for all his Skills, I don't think Rau'shee Warren would make that great a Pro anyway.
He kind of reminds me of Terrence Cauthen in that regard, a guy who's a bit of a slapper and lacks the power to make a truely succesful Pro. Your right that he could get robbed again if he hangs around till 2012, but I think he's just more suited to the Amatuer Game and I think he'd also be happier later in life if he kept with his quest of pursuing an Olympic Medal rather than just leaving it like this.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Guys-
To be honest, for all his Skills, I don't think Rau'shee Warren would make that great a Pro anyway.
He kind of reminds me of Terrence Cauthen in that regard, a guy who's a bit of a slapper and lacks the power to make a truely succesful Pro. Your right that he could get robbed again if he hangs around till 2012, but I think he's just more suited to the Amatuer Game and I think he'd also be happier later in life if he kept with his quest of pursuing an Olympic Medal rather than just leaving it like this.
I see what you mean but it seems to me that this guy has more skills than a lot of pros out there. Does he have heart? Can he take a good shot? How is he gonna react when he's in trouble? I have no idea but from what I've seen so far I'm confident he'll be an elite pro fighter. Hearns didn't have that much power as an amateur and Warren doesn't slap at all compared to Calzaghe lol.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I see what you mean but it seems to me that this guy has more skills than a lot of pros out there. Does he have heart? Can he take a good shot? How is he gonna react when he's in trouble? I have no idea but from what I've seen so far I'm confident he'll be an elite pro fighter. Hearns didn't have that much power as an amateur and Warren doesn't slap at all compared to Calzaghe lol.
I agree, Warren doesn't slap, but if he does those are some real haymaker slaps lol. Have you seen Hearns record as an amateur? Devastating, so I don't agree with that.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I agree. Why would he even want to go through that again? If he doesn't medal it's an even bigger disappointment than last time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts