Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone's opinions on referees having to take lie detector tests for sports that bring in large amounts of money? Such as NCAA,NBA,NFL,Boxing and ect?

With what happened last year to the Suns I think all referees should take a lie detector test pertaining to their sport.

I don't think they should be asked questions about their personal lives but they should be asked questions that could effect a games outcome or the over all sport.

If some of you don't know what happened to the Phoenix Suns last year, basic story short, a ref fouled out most of their major players because he bet against them. They found out that he placed bets against the Suns and was found guilty. He's now in jail serving time.

I'm not going to argue and say all refs do what he did because they don't. But if they don't then they don't have anything to worry about, as long as they ref their sport fairly and from their own judgment.

Along side with the lie detector tests, I think in some sports the ref's shouldn't know which game their going to referee until a day before hand.

But in some sports, such as boxing, they need to know before hand so they can study the participants and know what to look out for and what type of distance they need to keep.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this? This is just my opinion and would like to hear everyone else's because I could have missed something and my point of view could be way off.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
This is a great idea and id be all for it!

The thing would have blown fukkin up if Cortez took one after the Hatton fight. :D

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I would be against it. Polygraph test are not accurate. Attorneys tell their clients to never take polygraph test, even if they are innocent because they arent always accurate. I think its a great idea, but I would be against the test.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I would be against it too. I am taking one in a week for the Police Department... Pretty nervous about it only because I don't believe they are the most accurate. Even if you tell the truth and your heart rate goes up they think you are lying.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Exactly, if you are nervous by nature, it can make it seem like your lieing. And if you have a mental imbalance or can stay calm while lieing, you can pass one even if you are guilty.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
yes when ever there is a show on tv and they say their lie detector test is 99.9% accurate, that's a bunch of bull. the one Dr. Phil used was by a team of professionals and they admitted theirs to be 93% accurate after it was tested. I don't trust them either. the general masses always seem to beleieve what the lie detector says so it can break someone if the they were telling the truth and the detector said they weren't.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Think about this one.

If a lie detector test could talk and was connected to another lie detector test, would it pass?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well even if most lie detectors are in the 90 percent accuracy range thats still a decent percent. You're right also not all lie detectors are 100% and most of the errors found with lie detectors are with inexperienced polygraph examiners.

But I think most of you are taking my statement as if I where saying if the referee fails then he's fired. Thats not it, I think if the referee fails he should be put under investigation. This would only help the Sports organization keep closer eye on ridged and payed off matches.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But that still can put innocent refs under investigation. by the way, I sent your gatti fights out today.
Thats true but I think it should be take under high consideration. And I'm pretty sure the organization of that sport could come up with a better system in finding out which ref is corrupt and others who are honest.

But of course we all know that these organizations won't consider lie detector tests because they'll feel like they've lost control of their organization and it would be harder for them to ridge the games they wanted. Also if a ref is throwing games then people will start questioning the organization as a whole.

My whole idea of ref's having to take lie detector tests is just an idea to make these "Money Making Sports" more legit. I'm tried of seeing small colleges getting duped by ref's because the bigger colleges have more influence on the NCAA.

Oh and thanks for letting me know about the Gatti fights. I can't wait to start my collection since I can't burn DVD's haha.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Lance thinks so as well.

Blatently biased officiating like joe cortez has done in the hatton and ruiz-johnson fights must surely call for serious investigation Same as Eugenia Williams vote for Holyfield in Lewis-Holy I they were blatent

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Williams admitted he scored it wrong later. He admitted to making a mistake. But there you go ranting again. The fact is, a polygraph test isnt always accurate so it's a bad idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts