Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This review is on the Everlast brand Evergel handwraps.

I recently picked up a set of these gel handwraps, curious to see if they would not only save time, but add more protection under the gloves which is what Everlast states that their product will do. Actually, these are the exact words from the item description on their website: "Wear under bag gloves and training gloves as a convenient and more protective alternative to handwraps, or wear alone for light bag work, mitts, speed bag, grappling and more." This reviewer aims to put that statement to the test.

The first thing you notice about the gloves is that they appear to be well put together. They have a nice thick wrist locking strap (hook and loop closure; velcro), and the thick gel covered knuckle area is covered by a good quality neoprene. The model I reviewed were a size Large in their newer blue color. I should note that these gloves appear to run large, so get one size smaller than you normally would if you're not in a position to physically try them on before ordering. I would normally use a size XL in any other athletic glove, but even the large size seems a tad big.
The gloves slip on very easily, and have a stretch fit snugness to them. The wrist strap sits back a bit too far for my taste on the wrist, locking the bottom of the wrist more so than the top. It does however have a very good velcro hook-and-loop closure attached to a stretching fabric strap, so making it tight is not difficult. Also you'll notice on the top of the hand, the wraps have two velcro'd fabric pieces that stretch across the hand in opposite directions, forming the "x' shape you create with a traditional handwrap. Honestly, it felt like these were absolutely useless as they didnt offer any real protection for the top of the hand like a traditional wrap does. Since the main body of the wrap is elastic, it doesnt offer the same level of security and protection for the small bones in the top of the hand. What it does do very well however, is protect the knuckles of the hand. The gel padding covers from the base of the knuckles all the way down to about the middle knuckle of each finger. It is a very comfortable fit, and stays pretty well breathable as the palm has an open hole for air circulation, and the top of the hand has a mesh fabric for the same reason. When striking, these offer much more padding and comfort than a cotton wrap, never leaving your knuckles feeling sore. You also dont have to worry about your handwrap shifting in the gloves and exposing some skin for that knuckle burn you occasionally get. These stay put and snug.

Overall, i think its a nice product if you're using them for light bag work. Everlast says they ofer more protection than a traditional wrap, and they are correct in some aspects, but not in others. They are quick and easy to slip on and get right to work, and they also have great knuckle protection with their gel padding. However, I wouldnt switch to them as a replacement for my day-in, day-out boxing workout since they dont offer the bone protection or the upper wrist support that a traditional wrap provides. That being said, they are a good alternative to the fitness boxer who needs a convenient, time saving solution.

Ratings (1-10, 10 being the highest)
Quality:7
Value:7
Performance:7
Comfort:7

Pros: Quick and easy to put on, well consrtucted, excellent knuckle padding/protection, good breathability
Cons: Wrist closure sits too far back on the wrist for some hands, lack of top of hand protection.

Manufacturer: Everlast
Price: $19.99 at everlast.com

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I have those, lol. I agree 100% with your assessment. The wrist closure drives me crazy, so I rarely use them anymore. I can't stand how far back the closure goes.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I agree 100 percent as well, I have all black ones. I got the size Large because medium was much to small. It seems to fit very well. I like them. I'll agree it doesnt protect the top of the hand well but with these and some 16 oz gloves on, Its just about perfect for quick workouts.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I recently got a Pair of these I have them and the Title Gel Gloves.. I am just going to use them for my speed bag and maybe a light bag work out - they dont fit its WAY too tight under the gloves .. I would have to get HUGE gloves.. but I am going to stick with the traditional wrap for now. But these Gel Wraps do seem pretty decent though. I will just use them for the speed bag only

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I noticed that too with the GEL seires. The hand compartment is a little more compact than most gloves. Perfect when you have a traditional handwrap on, but I also couldnt get my hand in those suckers with the everlast gel wrap on!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Boxing equipment review of everlast evergel

Everlast evergel are not too bad. They are a little tight around the fingers but i found i could get them into the gloves allright . |I use cleto reyes personally and they fitted ion there for my training purposes. They will never be as good as the proper handwraps of which i think the mexican handwraps are best but for beginners or someone that cannot be bothered to use the wraps they are a good alternative.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
made the mistake of buying a few pairs of these in different sizes when i first got them.
The finger holes were a bit too tight and would cut off circulation, cut them a little on certain pairs.
The wrist wrap would cut of circulation if i tried to actually wrap it tightly as well.
The straps on the back really don't do much - the finger holes are just as elastic, so nothing's really anchored in place.
Tried wrapping a mexican wrap over top of them for a while, and I think that cut off circulation as well.
The rubberish material on the palms falls apart real easy - tried to sneak in a set of pullups with them on and the whole palm came off (basically ruining the glove).
There's a bit too much extra material on the back of the wrist strap - cut those on most of the pairs.

Lately, my grant super bag gloves haven't been protecting my knuckles.
I first tried a cotton knuckle protective glove under a mexican wrap - cut off circulation and had a slight problem with the glove slipping too far up my knuckles to provide support when i would squeeze them into my glove.
Tonight I dug out one of my old yellow n blacks to give it a try and it was a perfect combination - the grant glove has a huge velcro strap which gives tons of wrist support and the everlast gel wraps did an awesome job of protecting my knuckles - even better than my earlier cotton knuckle guard + mexican hand wrap solution.
One glove at a time is not a huge hassle, especially if it breathes new life into my favorite bag gloves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts