Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This review is for the Grant Campeon Super Bag Gloves. These gloves are available in a regular, or large size and weigh in at 12oz. They are constructed of high quality grain leather in black and white with red trim, and have a well constructed hook and loop closure.
The first thing you notice about these gloves upon opening them, is just how lightweightthey feel. I had to double check the weight to be sure that they were, in fact, 12 ouncers. The reason behind them feeling so lightweight is the balanced distribution of padding material throughout the gloves. You'll swear that they feel like 10oz gloves in your hand!
The fit and finish on the gloves is top notch. Leather dyes and stitching are both done at a very high standard, and there were no visible defects. The velcro hook-and-loop closure is very sturdy and has elastic in it to get a good snug stretch fit- shiny grant label included.

Slipping the gloves on for the first time, or perhaps I should say forcing them on, can be a bit of a task as they are tight fom the factory. They should break in nicely over time, but this reviewer would still recommend moving to the large size if you have even slightly larger than average size hands. As expected from the initial feel, these gloves felt very light and well balanced while being
put through a good bag workout. The wrist closure is nice and tight and leaves you feeling confident to go all out. The gloves also dont get quite as moist inside fm a workout as some of the other that have been reviewed which is a nice side bonus.
As far as hand protection goes, they are quite good. There are better gloves out there for knuckle protection, but not many that offer the compact, balanced feel of this glove, and even fewer that fall into the same price category. These gloves can be had for a mere $49.99 from Grant's USA distributer Ringside.com right now, which is a terrific bargain in my estimation.

Overall, this is a solid workhorse bag glove that is not only well constructed and backed by an industry leader, but also lightweight, balanced, and protective. These rank high on my bag glove list, and certainly deserve consideration for the next time you or your gym needs some quality bag gloves.

Ratings (1-10, 10 being the highest)
Quality:9
Value:9.5
Performance:8
Comfort:9

Pros: Low price, great all leather construction, Good wrist support
Cons: Knuckle protection could be a bit better, tighter than average hand compartment

Manufacturer: Grant USA
Price: $49.99 at Ringside.com

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've had these gloves for about 3 months. Thought they were the best bag gloves I'd ever had. I Do lots of bag work throughout the week. Sadly my mind has changed after they have already started to fall apart. I had a pair of title's which lasted 5X as long. The padding is noticably starting to shift and fall apart inside around the knuckles. These gloves are still great in my opinion, just short lived.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are your thoughts on hand protection compared to your other gloves, and which ones were they? I honestly thought that the Title Gel series were better all around gloves and provided better protection.

·
Registered
841 Posts
What are your thoughts on hand protection compared to your other gloves, and which ones were they? I honestly thought that the Title Gel series were better all around gloves and provided better protection.
They provide great hand protection, a lot better than most, pretty good for grants. You also made a good point about sweating in the gloves, I did notice that they handle that very well and have never developed an odor. They just started to fall apart already thats the only downfall about them. Constanly hitting a 125lb bag almost every day might have contributed to their destruction but I still expected more from them. I was comparing them to my old old old gloves I got atleast 4 years ago right around when I started boxing and was strapt for cash: TITLE Classic Boxing Gloves from Title Boxing They may not look like much, but man these gloves are, where, great. Especially for $15. They turned out to be very durable and provided adequate hand protection. I was comparing the grants durability to these trying to point out that they should last longer than a $15 pair of gloves.

My rating would be:
Quality:6.5
Value:7
Performance:9
Comfort:10

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I purchased a pair of those 15 dollar title gloves to add to my collection and I always end up hurting my hand in them somehow, The wrist protection sucks, the foam padding shifted horribly the first time I ever used them and they are just cheap synthetic leather gloves. They have better kncukel protection than the actually title super bag gloves but dont come anywhere near as good as the title gels. im still looking to purchase these grant bag gloves but they are still out of stock everywehre.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe ringside is their only US supplier. And after checking with them, its going to be quite a wait.
estimated due date on the regular size is 7/22/08 and large size is 7/30.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll send you over my pair if you like. They've only been used literally a couple of times, and I'd rather grab a pair of Title Gels.
Let me know if ya want em bro...

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Just want to add that I have the full on professional grant super bag gloves, the ones that normally go for about 140, with the thick velcro strap.

They are my alltime favorite gloves, the leather looks gorgeous and feels so supple, the fit of the glove is awesome, the velcro strap provides awesome support. The only drawback is that at 12oz, i usually have to wear some knuckle guard (at least on my rear hand) in order to avoid bruised knuckles. Even worse, the foam's gotten a little softer with time, so i'm not sure if knuckle guards are going to cut it. Tonight I wore one of those everlast gel wraps on the hand and it felt wonderful. I've had the gloves almost 2 years.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey chop, how about doing a review on them? Would be a nice one to add to the section. You can see the format that we've been reviewing gear with, so you can use that as a guide.

I'm interested to see how they've worked out for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Come and check out ratethisgear.com a boxing equipent review site, with video reviews of winning,everlast,ringside etc.. boxing equipment. post some of your own reviews as well

also check out youtube.com/ratethisgear tell me what u think :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts