Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This review is for the GymBoss Personal Interval Timer. This device is used to easily time any type of workout you may do, and provides user settable intervals for workout time/rest time. GymBoss describes the unit like this:

This small clip-to-your-waistband high quality timer is perfect for timing any type of workout. Easily time any work and/or rest intervals allowing you to focus on your workout.

The units features:
-one OR two different time intervals user settable from between 2 seconds to 60 minutes.
-Auto mode, which will keep repeating through intervals
-Manual mode, which acts as a simple countdown timer
-Alarm, which notifies you of the completion of each timed interval (work and rest) via either Beep, Vibration, or BOTH. The alarm duration is user settable at either 1 or 10 seconds.
-Belt Clip
-Water and Shock resistance

Well we know in most gyms, they have a very elaborate (and very expensive) gym interval timer to keep the workouts consistent. While those are terrific, they arent really practical for several reasons for the average Joe. Professional gym timers are about the size of a toaster in most cases which makes them not very portable or light weight. They also cost upwards of $100, some even double that. The other option you commonly see is a workout cd. Great, if you can carry a cd player eveywhere with you, and you dont mind not being able to adjust your work and rest rates on the fly to exactly what you want. There has been a need for some time now for an economical, portable personal workout timer solution and it looks like GymBoss has come to the rescue with flying colors.

The timer is a very small and extremely lightweight unit. In fact, its smaller in stature than a standard pager, and it weighs about the same as a magic marker. The front of the unit is mostly taken up by a large, easy to read lcd display. It has 2 buttons on the top and one on the side. The back has an attached belt clip, another great feature.Setting up the unit was a breeze with the handy instructions that came with the timer, and after setting it once the process is easily learned. It also has both soft beep OR loud beep AND vibrate functions. So you no longer have to worry about missing the beep notification over the loud music in the gym, or because your timer is muffled in your pocket. Also, for group classes or quieter environments, you can disable the beep and go with vibrate to eliminate any loud distractions.

The other thing that is really neat about this device is that you can set your workout and/or rest times to be exactly what you want them to be. Not every workout is suitable for the standard 2 minute/3 minute round timers that you typically see. This bad boy can be set in PER SECOND increments anywhere between 2 seconds and 60 minutes! Its extremely versatile, and suited for pretty much any type of activity where you need to have timed intervals.

If I was forced to find one thing that could be improved upon on the unit, I suppose it would be the quality of materials. The outside housing is made of a cheap feeling plastic, made in China. While you could be picky about this, its very hard to complain when the unit is sold for a mere 20 beans. Oh yeah, that and the fact that it comes with a 30 day satisfaction guarantee, and a 1 year warranty. This is an incredible value.

In summary, if you're looking for a convient do-it-all personal workout timer, this unit really can't be beat for the money. I highly recommend picking one up

Ratings (1-10, 10 being the highest)
Quality:8
Value:10
Performance:10
Comfort:10

Pros: Low price, excellent features, light weight, portability
Cons: Lower quality plastic housing, but higher quality plastics would add weight and $$$ so you be the judge

Manufacturer: GymBoss.com 1-877-Gymboss
Price: $19.95 at gymboss.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
my review

Hello,

first I speak french but sorry for my english....

Thanks Captainsobvious for the review

Very nice

5 minutes after having read your text, I order directly the timer from GYMBOSS.COM

Since a long time I was looking for a timer that allowed me to adjust 2 different intervals of time, I very much look I have ever found, the product can be a lack of publicity or should be sold by title or ringside or every fitness store

This small timer is a true gold mine for his size and his price, I think for my part the plastic is good quality, the sound is good, the vibration also, really easy to use, for use at home its the best one you can have

I always doing my workout at home, I never use a timer, I have always done my training on the series or number of shots, I always find other timer from ringside or other expensive or offered just intervals of 2 minutes or 3 minutes round, stop time of 30 seconds and I read bad reviews on the small timer of everlast at 20$

Since I use it I have more discipline and I always finished what I hope to do

A lot of people wondered if there is a timer of this kind but the unknown there, done a bit of advertising in the GYM because for a mere 20 $....

My rating: 9.7/10

Suggestion: add an option to save time, put another option for a fact when somebody jogging: start time stop time (we can know the duration of time but it requires a small application, to predict more time and make a subtraction)

thank again

gymboss.com

·
Registered
349 Posts
Nice .. thanks Capt.. I might have to pick one of these up .. for the price it seems worth it almost good review !

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, its absolutely worth it for the price. I havent found anything close to this featureset at this price. I honestly dont think theres a better deal out there for a personal workout timer.

·
Registered
349 Posts
By the time I am done with your reviews and everything I am buying your gonna make me BROKE :p haha J/K Love the Reviews .. I am going to pick this bad boy up this week.. you should work for Title/Ringside Capt ! Get a Discount !

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks S2X

Yeah I almost feel like I should be on their payroll with all of the positive rep they're getting, but in truth its only possible because they produce top notch gear. They make it easy :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Capt... Fellas I just ordered a Gymboss .. Should be here in about 4-5 days .. I will let you know how it is after I get it seems good for the price.. Hoping it will help me work out for the full length of time.. I like to usually rest for 1 min in between reps and I dont wear a watch soo hope this helps out ! Cant Wait to get the product !

·
Registered
349 Posts
Capt .. Just got home from the gym .. and there it is .. Gymboss is here.. lol .. Looks like it is made pretty well .. I will give it a try tonight .. and use it tomorrow for the first time I will let you know how it is .. .. Hey Capt .. you get your free T shirt ?????!?!?!? hehe

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah .. Sneeky ! Thats why you made the whole post ! hehe .. jk man .. I will let you know how I like the product this week .. maybe I will get a T Shirt too :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got into the whole interval training thing. Incorporated intervals into running, lifting, and heavy bag work. I was kind of timing things in my head but obviously that wasnt to accurate. Did a google search on interval timers and the first item I came across was the gym boss. Sounded good and the price made it worth taking a shot at. I definatly was not dissapointed. Love the way you are able to program 2 different times. I use one for the actual exercise and one for rest. It has made my workouts more effeciant for sure. Also like that you can but it on vibrate. This allows me to still have the music on my ipod pumping in my ears. Awesome product!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Gymboss Timer

The gymboss timer is great! I think that everyone should own one of these timers. It has defiantly improved my workouts. It has a loud beep and a pretty solid design. What I love is the ability to program your rounds and rest timers. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
2nd try:

I'm using the Gymboss Interval Timer too. It's a great tool if you’re training in little groups or alone and if you’re couching smaller groups.

But if you have more than 6 boxer who are working at the heavy bag you – as a couch – have to scream "stop" or something like that, because they won't hear beeper (that’s usually my problem in the gym).

The Timer is still a great tool, which I highly recommend, because you can set the intervalls as you wish and place it in you pocket.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts