Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Review: Ringside IMF Tech Training Gloves

This review is for Ringside's IMF Tech elastic cuff training glove. (model no: MFTG E) Ringside offers this model in 14oz, 16oz, and 18oz versions, and in any color you want - as long as its black. Its also worth noting that this glove is also offered in lace-up version as well. They retail on Ringsides website for $89.99, but can frequently be found on sale at their site for less. This puts them toward the higher echelon of glove categories, so we'll see if they hold up.

I picked up a pair of these gloves a while back because i needed a easy-on easy-off solution for training at my home gym. Ringside had them on sale for a very reasonable price, and word around town was that they were very sweet gloves, so I decided to give them a try and see for myself. The gloves came quickly, packaged well, and ready to go. The first thing I noticed after unwrapping the gloves, was the smell of quality leather that exuded from them. These gloves have been manufactured to very high standards. The fit and finish of the leather and materials, the dyes, and logo screening were all top notch. After inspecting, all stitching was grade A as well. After checking out the build, it was time to get to the good stuff.
I pulled on the gloves, which have a closure on the inside, and then an elastic cuff that rolls down to pull over the exposed cuff. The gloves I ordered were the 18 oz variety, as I figured it would provide a tougher shoulder workout over my standard fare 12 ouncers. The weight is distributed pretty evenly in these gloves, and they felt great. The real beauty in these gems though, was when striking the heavy bag. The manufacturer states that they provide 2.5" of protection over the knuckles, and it feels every bit the way they say. I can honestly say that these gloves provided the most shock resistance when hammering the heavy bag. They absorbed alot of impact and kept the knuckles feeling good. The wrist closure does a very good job of keeping the wrist feeling secure, although none of the elastic/velcro wrist gloves I've used have come close to the protection that a lace up variety can provide. There will always be a trade-off there, but if you dont have someone to lace you up, this is the best option around.

The only drawback to these gloves, and its a very minor one, is that they don't breathe as well as some of the other gloves. So you'll have a little more sweat there than other gloves. I'd recommend hanging your gloves after usage to dry them properly, or use a set of glove dogs that slide inside the glove and absorb the moisture between workouts.
If an elastic cuff is not necessary for you, then I recommend the lace up version of this glove as it will have superior breathability to this version, and will also provide even better stability of the wrist.
Aside from that, these gloves are terrific!

Overall, these gloves are excellent. They provide some of the best protection available, and at a reasonable price for this type of quality.

Ratings (1-10, 10 being the highest)
Quality:10
Value:8
Performance:9
Comfort:9

Pro's: Excellent construction, top notch padding and protection
Cons: A little bit expensive, but your hands are worth it, and will thank you
Manufacturer: Ringside Boxing
Price: $89.99/$79.99 (sale) at Ringside.com

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I've been using these gloves over a year with pretty regular abuse.
It took a while for the foam to soften up a bit but now that it has, it feels awesome.
I use the gloves for a lot of my pad and bag work because they refuse to break down.
If i accidentally use them in sparring, I have no worries - they've never received a complaint and everyone i've showed them to agrees that the padding feels new.
If anything, they don't let my partners feel enough - not compared to those cheapo everlasts that everyone wears (on pads, bag, AND sparring :eek: )

The SOFTEST pairs of gloves I've ever owned were Ringside 20oz heavy hitters (the red, white & black ones), and the Ringside Ultimate Classic 16oz training gloves. They both felt the same as far as padding - very cushy; but the 20ozers were a little bit wider & took up more space (making defense a piece of cake). The IMF gloves aren't as bad as these, but I'm pretty sure they're softer than my dedicated Twins 16oz sparring gloves; eventhough I use them a lot more & are more broken-in.

EDIT: just wanted to add that I love these gloves and next to my Grant super bag gloves, they're probably my second favorite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
CopyCat Or Same Glove?

Since this is a glove review on the IMF Techs. Anyone notice the similarity of the Imf tech elastic hook&loop training glove to the Throwdown Rampage elastic Hook&loop training gloves at title? Are they Copycats? What's the deal?... Those rampage gloves are only 50 dollars on sale... I don't trust em but I'm curious if anyone knows anything about em. Also the throwdown bag gloves have the D-ring hook and loop just like the imf tech bag gloves.... Hmmm?...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I'm going to be honest: I really don't know what to make of all these MMA clothing companies making "stand up" or "striking" gear; ie Throwdown, Triumph United, Tapout, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if all their stuff was ripped off of Combat Sports International, which is basically re-badged Ringside stuff.

I know I should test some of it out first - but there's a lot of stuff I would rather try out instead, like:
-some newer model Top Tens
-Winning
-a pair of Reyes that actually fits me
-Ringside regular & IMF super bag gloves

1 - 6 of 6 Posts