February 14

At TBA (HBO):

Alfredo Angulo vs. Ricardo Mayorga

12 rounds, junior middleweights

Valentines Day Massacre

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Good fight, this is gonna be a tearup. Mayorga has a genuine chance but im gonna roll with the younger, fresher Angulo.

·
Registered
21 Posts
lol Mayorga will be the door mat for Angulo into the championship level opponents. Mayorga has been lurking as easy prey for Junior middleweights for the past couple years. De La Hoya, Mosley, Trinidad, and Spinks whooped him. I hope Angulo gets a fight with James Kirkland since that seems like a good prospect-prospect match

·
Registered
262 Posts
Mayorga to win by KO.

I love Mayorga. We need more people like him in boxing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mayorga to win by KO.

I love Mayorga. We need more people like him in boxing.
I agree, he has more balls than brains but he's something else :)
I just watched some Angulo clips and i think Mayorga is in big trouble, when does the pre fight press conference start i cant wait to see Mayorga's verbal abuse.

·
Registered
617 Posts
lol Mayorga will be the door mat for Angulo into the championship level opponents. Mayorga has been lurking as easy prey for Junior middleweights for the past couple years. De La Hoya, Mosley, Trinidad, and Spinks whooped him. I hope Angulo gets a fight with James Kirkland since that seems like a good prospect-prospect match
Spinks did anything byt ''whoop'' him,that was a pitifull atempt to ''outbox'' an opponent,he didn't land one meaningful punch all night,that was not even potshotting,it was pathetic.More so they did everything they could to make sure he losses(taking 2 points away easy,not counting a clean KD etc).He did pretty well with Mosley and somewhat with Trinidad,only fight he looked terrible was de la Hoya.
About the fight until I don't find out what trainer Mayorga has for this one and see a training video pre fight I can't make a pick.As of now I'd go with Angulo but Mayorga has a style advantage over Angulo for a change.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
would be a good fight but I see Kirkland having a difficult time beatin Joel Julio, thats IF he could beat him which I doubt @ this point, his D kind of shaky and Julio could punch, not saying Kirkland cant be he hasnt fought noone of Julios caliber.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Apparently Danny Perez is the sub.
Santos should have gone after it since he blew his chance with Martinez. There has to be somebody out there more current than freaking Perez, though. A guy that's been retired for the last three or four years who wasn't relevant beforehand is going to be on HBO after fighting three nobodies??! Ya gotta be kidding...

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Looks like itll be Comse Rivera now. lets see if he lasts till the 14th, keep your fingers crossed.

I dont think Cosme has much of a chance, hes a blown up WW and is taking this fight on very short notice, hopefully hes been in the gym and this'll last a few rounds to make it somewhat interesting.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Boxingscene.com

Mayorga Blames Mosley

By T.K. Stewart

Ricardo Mayorga's withdrawal from Saturday night's fight against Alfredo Angulo can be blamed on none other than the resurgent 'Sugar' Shane Mosley.

Mayorga removed himself from the high-profile HBO fight against Angulo under a cloud of suspicion. In the last several days no concrete explanation has been given as to the exact reason why Mayorga suddenly decided not to go through with the match.

But BoxingScene.com can now reveal the reason was Shane Mosley.

"Ever since the fight against Shane Mosley back in September I've had some pain in my ribs," said 'El Matador' through a camp confidant who translated to BoxingScene.com. "I laid off for all that time after the Mosley fight and I thought I could work through it and train through it, but in the end it just became too much and I had to pull out."

Mayorga said the injury was later aggravated in training for the Angulo fight and the pain has been on his right side - which is most likely the courtesy of Mosley's left hook. Mayorga said he doesn't believe he has a broken rib or ribs but he also said he isn't sure as he has not undergone an x-ray.

"As training went on, the pain became sharp and sometimes very sharp, like somebody was sticking me with a knife," he explained. "It made it very difficult to train for the fight and yes, I will admit, it made it hard for me to really focus and to concentrate and to get my weight down where it should have been."

Despite rumors to the contrary, Mayorga said there was no dispute over the purse that he was to be paid for the fight.

"No, no, no," he said. "Don King was paying me one hundred thousand dollars for the fight and the contract was signed so that was not it. What it came down to was my ribs and that Angulo was a serious opponent. I've fought everyone…Trinidad, Oscar, Vargas, Mosley so I'm not afraid. I don't pull out of fights. Go back and look and you'll see that I don't pull out of fights."

Mayorga's attorney and advisor Tony Gonzalez supported Mayorga's explanation. Gonzalez told the Miami Herald that, "He got hurt about three weeks ago and still wanted to make every effort to fight Angulo. But at this stage of his career, it would be too much of a risk if he's not completely healed."

Mayorga said he was disappointed with having to withdraw from the Angulo fight, but he said if people were looking to blame someone, he knows just who to point the finger at:

"Mosley," he said. "You can blame Mosley, it's all his fault."

LMAO. nice excuse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts