Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to The Sun, Ricky Hatton (43-1, 31KOs) and those closest to him, will make a decision as to whether or not he sticks with long-time trainer Billy Graham, who's been with the fighter throughout his entire pro career.

Following Hatton's ten-round TKO loss to Floyd Mayweather on December 8 in Las Vegas, those close to Hatton feel that a change to his corner is in order.

And while Hatton has expressed interest in a rematch with Mayweather, his manager and father, Ray Hatton, does not see his son fighting again at the welterweight limit of 147-pounds.

“I can’t see him fighting again at welterweight. He doesn’t need to fight in that division. He’s still the best light-welterweight in the world," Ray Hatton said. "The only thing I was worried about was that if he did beat Floyd he’d have been forced to stay at the bigger weight. There are a lot of lads in that division who are a lot bigger than him.”

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I personally don't like the sound of any of this. Hatton has won 43 fights with Graham. I'd like some insight from our British members on this.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
The sun is half owned by frank warren and warrens daughter is engaged to someone at the sun. Warren has esculated this story to stir up something in the hatton camp. I dont believe this, ricky and graham are like brothers. Its common knowledge that ricky left warren behidn and they dont get along. It is interesting however.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Agreed, and i think its total bs on ricky's part if he gets rid of graham. There nothing any trainer could do to make you beat floyd mayweather. Nothing.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
He should stick with Graham, but things have to be changed. Early Hatton was a tremendous fighter, he had fights where there was barely any clinches and boxed beautifully. In the Zoo fight they changed tactics to smother Zoo and rough him up because they knew they couldnt outbox him, and because of that Hatton has kept the roughhouse style. Hatton needs to go back to basics, lateral movement, head movement, hands held abit higher, work behind the jab and systematically break down opponents. He smothers most of his good work inside, and has barely shown anything in the way on an fighting on the outside in his fights pre-Tszyu.

Graham and Hatton have a special bond and i honestly can't see them splitting up, but i think there training is too much on conditioning & strength rather than boxing fundamentals.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
TysonJones said:
The sun is half owned by frank warren and warrens daughter is engaged to someone at the sun. Warren has esculated this story to stir up something in the hatton camp. I dont believe this, ricky and graham are like brothers. Its common knowledge that ricky left warren behidn and they dont get along. It is interesting however.
I dont think for one minute Ricky has considered leaving Preacher Graham, he'd be a fool if he did. Donald Curry made a big mistake in his career replacing Dave Gorman and signing with Akhbar Muhammad. The lure of limousines and the high life attracted him. Thats when his career went wrong Dave was like a father to him cared about him Muhammad saw only the Green back

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
TysonJones said:
Warren half owns The Sun? I knew he had a weekly article in there, but had no idea about that:confused:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
There's a few fighters who have never been the same after leaving long-time trainers.. Naseem Hamed and Jermain Taylor being the most recent.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
I may of exaggerate that, its just from what ive heard. Why you quote me everytime cj, i specifically said hatton wouldnt be leaving graham.................

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
TysonJones said:
I may of exaggerate that, its just from what ive heard. Why you quote me everytime cj, i specifically said hatton wouldnt be leaving graham.................
Ok dude, as far as i know he doesnt half own it but i may be wrong. He does however control most boxing related things mentioned in it, so don't expect it to impartial. FW and Hatton spoke for the first time in about 2 years recently, but there's still alot of bitter feeling. Warren may have wasted Ricky's best days fighting mediocure opponents.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
agree, and I also think hatton is past his prime. he isnt as good as he used to be. But this doesnt take away from floyd because floyd isnt what he used to be either.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Yes, when i said Hatton had wasted his best days it was no way discredit Floyd, Floyd would beat Hatton at any point in there careers because hes simply the better fighter;)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
the suns the only papper you can wipe your ass with and more s*hit comes off the papper. :laugh:

hatton and graham are tried and tested and just fought well against the best in the game, plus there like brothers.

ricky wouldn't be as affective with any other trainer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The only reason I think Ricky is thinking this is because of Billy's health he even said in the 24/7 series that he was getting old. I really don't think Ricky is firing him or not I think it's Graham decision, but the media is just trying to make a story.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I've got a trainer in my gym thats still kicking ass in his late 60's. A trainer can be very effective at Billy's age, so I dont see that being a problem.

Haton isn't leaving graham. There'd be no point to it at this stage in his career. He has maybe 2 or 3 fights left I'd say.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I think Ricky should defo stick with billy. He is the best trainer for rickys style and knows exactly what hes doing with him.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
GWWOAT said:
The only reason I think Ricky is thinking this is because of Billy's health he even said in the 24/7 series that he was getting old. I really don't think Ricky is firing him or not I think it's Graham decision, but the media is just trying to make a story.
I agree with this here. :thumbsup:
Ricky and billy are like brothers, if we see a different trainer in hattons corner it would be because of billys health.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.