Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ricky Hatton is set to take Juan Lazcano on May 24th at the the City of Manchester Stadium, or Wembley Stadium a week later. Hatton is hoping that IBF light-welter champ, Paulie Malignaggi will fight on the undercard with the anticipation of a possible title clash at New York's Madison Square Garden sometime in the autumn of this year.

Sporting Life is reporting that negotiations between Hatton and Malignaggi are now at an advanced stage. If Malignaggi
falls through, then Ricky's father and business manager, Ray Hatton, has a back-up plan for a fight with the WBO Champ, Ricardo Torres.

Quoted by SportingLife.com, Ray Hatton stated: "Malignaggi is the favourite at the moment if we can come to an agreement. We are very, very close but we don't rule out going the other way and going Torres in Las Vegas."

·
Registered
661 Posts
Sounds decent, hopefully we see Hatton-Torres at some stage though because that would be an absolute cracker I reckon.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Yeah I heard about this a while back, and I still think the same thing. If Hatton is allowed to wrestle he'll win a UD. If not Malignaggi will outbox him with relative ease.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Title clash at Madison Square Garden sounds good but first things first.
Ricky Hatton vs Paulie Malignaggi would be a great fight. Hatton by UD.

BTW, hello everyone it's nice to be here. I'm coming over from the mma forum.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Welcome to the forum TZ. You should hit up the lounge and introduce yourself. My name is Shane if you have any questions.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Back to the topic I think Hatton would win, he would get close really fast like he did with Floyd and would get the best of it, paulie isnt as fast skilled and strong as floyd. Also, after watching paulie's last fight I really think Hatton would beat him with ease.

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
Paulie's lack of power is bound to catch up with him. If you don't scare the guy you are fighting he's just gonna keep coming and eventually you are gonna get caught. Ricky would punish Paulie. Paulie is a good boxer but he doesn't have the power to make Ricky back off.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
That fight took place this year.

That's only one round of the fight. Paulie did enough to get the close win. He's a young fighter and it's very obvious that the long layoff was a major factor in him not looking as good. Dibella is really hurting Malignaggi and I don't know why. He should have already fought by now since that last fight. Hell, give him another contender but at least keep him active. Palie said it himself. "Reflex fighters need to stay active."

Paulie is really getting shafted by the industry and I don't know why. He's exciting to watch, good charisma, world champion, and a decent name and his only loss is to Cotto. I'm a big fan of his.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
That fight took place this year.

That's only one round of the fight. Paulie did enough to get the close win. He's a young fighter and it's very obvious that the long layoff was a major factor in him not looking as good. Dibella is really hurting Malignaggi and I don't know why. He should have already fought by now since that last fight. Hell, give him another contender but at least keep him active. Palie said it himself. "Reflex fighters need to stay active."

Paulie is really getting shafted by the industry and I don't know why. He's exciting to watch, good charisma, world champion, and a decent name and his only loss is to Cotto. I'm a big fan of his.
Still, do you really believe he will beat Hatton?

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
I don't know. I'd have to be given all the details about the bout. Location, ref, weight, how Hatton did in his last bout, how Malignaggi did in his last bout, lovation, location, and of course, location.
The big question would be the referee. The location doesnt matter so much once Hattons fans will follow him anywhere and outnumber anybody elses..

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The big question would be the referee. The location doesnt matter so much once Hattons fans will follow him anywhere and outnumber anybody elses..
The referee will act differently in England than in the Madison Square Garden, don't you agree?

I just don't like to see 2 boxers wrestle. That's why I'm not a fan of Hattons.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
The referee will act differently in England than in the Madison Square Garden, don't you agree?

I just don't like to see 2 boxers wrestle. That's why I'm not a fan of Hattons.
I agree 100%. Hatton used to be a good pressure fighter, with a good body attack. He's not that fighter any more. He went from Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton to Ricky "I wanna snuggle" Hatton.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts