Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to incorporate a new angle to my fitness. I rode my bike to work today. I rode it home last week, bringing it in on the commuter train in the morning, and realized that riding my bike is a little faster. This is because I live right by a really nice, paved bike trail that follows a river for about 35 miles through the region and into downtown. The trip is about 20 miles, each way for me, and only the 3 miles by my office is on streets with cars. I ride a heavy mountain bike so it's a good way for me to burn calories, about 900 each way. I love to run for my aerobic fitness but one of my knees is shot to hell. The ride in was beautiful this morning. Lots of deer and wild turkey, and the sun came up around the 10-mile mark. It was very cool.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lucky

How bad to you smell when you get to work? I wish I could do that but I got about a 50 mile trip each way. Blows.
We've got a real nice locker room and shower here, so I put my work clothes in the backpack and just shower and dress for work after getting here. So, to answer your question, I bet a smell a little. :eek: This time of year, the ride home may occur at temps above 100 so that's an adventure. For that, I have a pool. :D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Starting to incorporate a new angle to my fitness. I rode my bike to work today. I rode it home last week, bringing it in on the commuter train in the morning, and realized that riding my bike is a little faster. This is because I live right by a really nice, paved bike trail that follows a river for about 35 miles through the region and into downtown. The trip is about 20 miles, each way for me, and only the 3 miles by my office is on streets with cars. I ride a heavy mountain bike so it's a good way for me to burn calories, about 900 each way. I love to run for my aerobic fitness but one of my knees is shot to hell. The ride in was beautiful this morning. Lots of deer and wild turkey, and the sun came up around the 10-mile mark. It was very cool.
yeah thats great, but im confused lol. Did you ride for 3 miles, 10 miles, or 20?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
doh!

The ride is right about 20 miles each way, door to door. So, round trip is 40 in a day. It's a healthy distance on a mountain bike. But, it's so nice on most of the route that the time just flies by - about 70 minutes door to door. The only part I don't like is about 2 miles on city streets. I navigate such that I'm in the quieter, more residential sections.

I should clarify. The trip that I take consists of about 17 miles of just riding down a paved bike path that's away from development. It parallels a river and winds along through forest and meadows. It's really beautiful out there. In some parts you can see some rooftops of some houses but it's mostly just trees, grass and the river. Add to that turkeys, deer, and enough rattlesnakes to keep you on your toes. But, my office is in downtown. So, coming in to work, as I get to the edge of downtown I exit the trail and navigate on normal streets for the last 3 miles. The river and path really make where I live a nice place to be. I'm out there regularly fishing and enjoying it.

My coach is glad I'm doing more of this and less running as my knee is like a bag of gravel thanks to football.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I always take the bike to schol which is about 5 miles through the city, biking is really good for you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts