Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boxing's ring entrances have gotten to be more and more extravagant over the years. In the early 1900's they simply walked into the ring with their corner men and a few security guys to get through the crowd. In the 40's and 50's they started where colorful robes and trunks, but still didn't do any showboating or any of that sort of matter. In the late 70's Larry Holmes played a ring entrance song, and was the first to do so. He played the disco song "Aint No Stoppin' Us Now" and played that same song for every sing fight from then on. After that,m more and more fighters did this. Still no showboating was being done. In the late 80's is when the showboating and extravagant ring entrances started. They stared dancing, raising their arms and yelling insults and such. Now, you have things like Mayweather coming in on a carrage, or Naseem Hamed doing his thing. It's rediculous.

Any comments on the matter?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Haha its ok to do the flashy ring entrances if it works. I never like the Roy Jones entrance when he did something flashy like that but Naseem Hamed entrance were just great.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Hamed looked like a twat when he entered the ring. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
The more fuzz they make the foolish they will look after they lose... Just imagine Bernard Hopkins getting KO'd..

But eh, I have nothing against it

·
Registered
830 Posts
Hamed looked like a twat when he entered the ring. :laugh:
How can you possibly say that, with those long leopard pattern shorts and his bounce over the top rope :dunno:

I bet you have a problem with unicycles and stilts as well right:D

He was freak of the week:p

Only excelled by Chris Eubank in the bizare backward peddling pre fight pose and his grindingly irritating Tina (why didn't you kill her Ike?) Turner track.

Personally I like boxers who come into the ring in a more low key way, just my preference.

G

·
Nas' have to be the best although he looked like a prick most of the time!

Floyd Mayweather's royal entrance was pathetic!

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I thought the Prince's ring entrances were killer. That kind of showmanship is over the top but he pulled off some pretty great stuff.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
That Hamed-Kelly entrance was hilarious, Guzman' ice grill stare before the Barrios fight funny as hell. Lockett' mean mug during his r e and the announcements before Pavlik knocked it off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts