Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is this year's "best fighter" poll taken from the new issue of The Ring Magazine.

This year's panel: Steve Farhood - Showtime, Max Kellerman-HBO, Nonito Donaire, Dan Rafael-ESPN, Buddy McGirt, Bernard Fernandez -Philly Paper, Abner Mares, Darius Ortiz - ESPN, and Claude Abrams - British Boxing News.

Bernard Fernandez
1. Mayweather
2. Pacquiao
3. Calzaghe
4. Cotto
5. Hopkins
6. JMM
7. Pavlik
8. Vasquez
9. P. Williams
10. Joan Guzman

Darius Ortiz
1. Mayweather
2. Calzaghe
3. Pacquiao
4. JMM
5. Hopkins
6. Winky
7. Cotto
8. Vasquez
9. R. Marquez
10. Pavlik

Claude Abrams
1. Mayweather
2. Calzaghe
3. Pacquiao
4. Cotto
5. Pavlik
6. Juan Diaz
7. I. Calderon
8. Chris John
9. JMM
10. Vasquez

Buddy McGirt
1. Mayweather
2. Hopkins
3. Oscar
4. Pacquiao
5. JMM
6. Calzaghe
7. Cotto
8. Vazquez
9. R. Marquez
10. Juan Diaz

Max Kellerman
1. Mayweather
2. Calzaghe
3. Pacquiao
4. Hopkins
5. JMM
6. Pavlik
7. Oscar
8. Cotto
9. Vazquez
10. R. Marquez

Nonito Donaire
1. Mayweather
2. Pacquiao
3. Hopkins
4. Calzaghe
5. Cotto
6. JMM
7. Winky
8. Vazquez
9. Margarito
10. Juan Diaz

Abner Mares
1. Mayweather
2. Pacquiao
3. Wladimir Klitschko
4. Calzaghe
5. Hopkins
6. Cotto
7. Juan Diaz
8. JMM
9. Vazquez
10. Ivan Calderon

Steve Farhood
1. Mayweather
2. Pacquiao
3. JMM
4. Calzaghe
5. Cotto
6. Vazquez
7. Pavlik
8. Hopkins
9. Juan Diaz
10. Joan Guzman

Dan Rafael
1. Mayweather
2. Calzaghe
3. Pacquiao
4. Hopkins
5. JMM
6. Cotto
7. Winky
8. Vazquez
9. R. Marquez
10. Pavlik

The Ring
1. Mayweather
2. Pacquiao
3. JMM
4. Hopkins
5. Calzaghe
6. Vazquez
7. Cotto
8. Ricky Hatton
9. Winky
10. R. Marquez

THE RESULTS
1. Mayweather - 150
2. Pacquiao - 103
3. Calzaghe - 89
4. Hopkins - 63
5. JMM - 58
6. Cotto - 51
7. Vazquez - 30
8. Pavlik - 21
9. Winky - 15
10. Juan Diaz - 13 (tie)
10. Oscar - 13
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What do you guys think?

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
I think it was ok but pavlik had a way better year than they are giving him credit for.

And what is Kellerman doing with oscar on his list?

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it was ok but pavlik had a way better year than they are giving him credit for.

And what is Kellerman doing with oscar on his list?
The list isn't just compromised of what the fighters did this year.

Hell, McGirt has Oscar at #3! He said this. "Oscar I put at three because he's the only one who really tested Floyd. He really took Floyd to the well. "

·
Wet Beaver Bandit
5,334 Posts
ok, that makes more sense then.

But you talk about a list that is going to change dramatically by this time next year. If hatton secures a title and puts on 3 great performances he will be on most of them and if kelly has 3 great fights he'll get to number 2. But that Vazquez Marquez fight has alot to do with that list next year too. Big fight.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
THE RESULTS
1. Mayweather - 150
2. Pacquiao - 103
3. Calzaghe - 89
4. Hopkins - 63
5. JMM - 58
6. Cotto - 51
7. Vazquez - 30
8. Pavlik - 21
9. Winky - 15
10. Juan Diaz - 13 (tie)
10. Oscar - 13

This is actually a decent list altho i would throw Winky off and put Wlad on there. Also put Vazquez infront of JMM.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yeah, Oscar shouldn't have been on any list. Margarito I dont agree with either. Winky isnt even on the radar right now, so he'd have to be 10 at best. Kltschko deserves som ecredit, but doesnt seem to get any. He also deserves to be on that list.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think some of those guys treated this too much like a P4P list, hence Klitschko's absense. It is interesting to see how much respect they all seem to give Calzaghe.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
If Oscar is goin to make that list, then so should mosley, personally, neither should be on it anymore. But they both faught the toughest fight out there for both and came close ( mosley more so ) to winning. You can validate kellermans and mcgirts claims to an extent but oscar and mosley both had basicaly the same 2007, mosley actually accomplished more.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good point Lance. To me if you look at Oscar's performance against Floyd he should be in the top ten, but if you go on his past few fights there's no way in hell he should even be considered. I could definitely see Mosley in there after he puts Judah to sleep.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Mosley will definently get a false since of hope after demolishing zab. I dont think mosley can beat the likes of wililams, floyd, cotto, He may be able to beat margy and cintron however but mosley is just a little to........not mosley anymore. In his prime, its a different story, beating all except floyd possibly in floyd's closest fight ever.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So would I Tom. Those are my two favorites. I've seen both of them in every fight, and I've never been able to pick a definitive winner had they ever met in the ring.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts