Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boxing: The Ring Update

The Ring is pleased to announce that world welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather has been selected as Fighter of the Year for 2007. Mayweather fought twice in ’07, winning a 12-round decision over Oscar De La Hoya on May 5 in Las Vegas to capture the WBC super welterweight title, and knocking out Ricky Hatton in the 10th round on December 8 in defense of the world welterweight championship.

It is the second time Mayweather has won the honor, having also been The Ring’s 1998 Fighter of the Year. The award dates back to 1928, when heavyweight champion Gene Tunney was the first recipient.

Other Ring magazine awards for 2007:

Fight of the Year: Israel Vazquez KO 6 Rafael Marquez II

Round of the Year: Israel Vazquez-Rafael Marquez II, Round 3

Knockout of the Year: Nonito Donaire KO 5 Vic Darchinyan

Upset of the Year: Nonito Donaire KO 5 Vic Darchinyan

Comeback of the Year: Paul Malignaggi

Event of the Year: Floyd Mayweather-Oscar De La Hoya

Read all the details in the April 2008 issue of The Ring, on sale January 29.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Boxing: The Ring Update

The Ring is pleased to announce that world welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather has been selected as Fighter of the Year for 2007. Mayweather fought twice in ’07, winning a 12-round decision over Oscar De La Hoya on May 5 in Las Vegas to capture the WBC super welterweight title, and knocking out Ricky Hatton in the 10th round on December 8 in defense of the world welterweight championship.

It is the second time Mayweather has won the honor, having also been The Ring’s 1998 Fighter of the Year. The award dates back to 1928, when heavyweight champion Gene Tunney was the first recipient.

Other Ring magazine awards for 2007:

Fight of the Year: Israel Vazquez KO 6 Rafael Marquez II

Round of the Year: Israel Vazquez-Rafael Marquez II, Round 3

Knockout of the Year: Nonito Donaire KO 5 Vic Darchinyan

Upset of the Year: Nonito Donaire KO 5 Vic Darchinyan

Comeback of the Year: Paul Malignaggi

Event of the Year: Floyd Mayweather-Oscar De La Hoya

Read all the details in the April 2008 issue of The Ring, on sale January 29.
My good friend from Ft Worth Tx Paulie Ayala two time world champ won fighter of the year in 1999 i believe it was.
The fight Paulie Ayala-Johnny Tapia when Paulie won the title was fight of the year

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
I cant really argue any of those selections, which is a good thing.
On a side note, I did pick up the february Ring issue and theres some terrific articles in it. Including the rings top Welterweights of all time, and a big aticle on Kelly Pavlik. Even a little section about Andre Berto! Good stuff

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I love ring magazine, i have every issue from the last 10 years. Paulie deserved fighter of the year 99 when he defeated tapia twice, although I disagree with the 2nd fight decision and think tapia won the fight, it still goes in the books as a W for ayala.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im not goign to argue with floyd being fighter of the year, he obviously deserves it. He put boxing on the map once again this year with his 2 big mega fights. I thought pavlik also deserved this as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yea unfortunatly enough Mayweather would have to be Fighter of The Year. Upset of the year I would Pavilik KO'ing Jermain Taylor.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
upset of the year isnt pavlik vs taylor, many people favored pavlik to do what he did, no one in this world thought nonito would beat darchiniyan. I dont think it that was knockout of the year however, i would give that to cintron vs mattyse or wilson vs nwodo.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
cintrons KO vs mattyse was awsome, i would have said ko of the yr

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
I agree with everything except for Paul Malignaggi as comeback of the year. I would of gone with Gerry Penalosa or Vernon Forrest

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Agree with everything, but i think comeback of the year should go to Verno Forrest.

·
Registered
59 Posts
cannot argue with any of those picks, Floyd definately deserves Fighter of the year. and who can argue with the Vazquez-Marquez fight, good choice ring magazine....

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Yeah, I was trying to think of another comeback fighter of the year besides Malignaggi, and I think you guys are right. Vernon Forrest would also have been an excellent candidate.

KO of the year I also would have awarded to Cintron for the brutal fashion of the KO, that uppercut hook was AMAZING. But, I cant argue that Donaire's KO of Darchinyan wasnt "deserving" of it, especially for the unlikelyness of it happenening. I knew Donaire was a very good boxer, but I didnt see that coming!

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it could be cintron as well as comeback of the year, although the win against feliciano wasnt that convincing, he did come back to win a belt and defend it a few times after the loss to margy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts