Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just a horrible fight for Calzaghe, the only thing that's good about it for him is the millions he will make for it. Now I know that's not exactly a bad incentive, but with regard to his legacy I just don't like it one bit.

If he beats Jones, which I think he will(it's an easier fight than Hopkins, I doubt the outcome will be debatable like that one was), it's only going to be a washed-up Jones, a shadow of his former self etc., there's no credit in winning this fight, even if it's due. If Jones looks good in losing then it's easy for detractors to say Calzaghe was maybe never as good as he most definitely is, that Jones would have whupped him in his prime (Rocky Marciano vs Joe Louis, Larry Holmes vs Muhammad Ali are good examples of this, even when Louis admitted Marciano would have beaten him at any point in his career).

The other possibility is that Jones beats him (which I think can only happen by KO, no easy feat as Calzaghe is as stubbornly defiant a man as you will see when it comes to getting beat, but who knows in boxing...). This seriously diminishes his legacy, reduces Lacy and Kessler to over-rated bums (which they seriously are not, especially Kessler), Eubank becomes a washed-up old vet that gave him hell (rather than a superb old vet that gave him hell) and we'll all start hearing from people other than Robin Reid that the split-decision against Robin Reid was a robbery.

I hate this fight, knock him out in the early rounds Joe!

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Any thing can happen in this fight, Calzaghe is not the invincible flawless guy a lot of people think he is, he barely squeeked by Bernard, who's not as fast as Roy, he might find Roy a little too mobile, that is if Roy comes in 100% who knows I find this one hard to figure out.......

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
This is just a horrible fight for Calzaghe, the only thing that's good about it for him is the millions he will make for it. Now I know that's not exactly a bad incentive, but with regard to his legacy I just don't like it one bit.

If he beats Jones, which I think he will(it's an easier fight than Hopkins, I doubt the outcome will be debatable like that one was), it's only going to be a washed-up Jones, a shadow of his former self etc., there's no credit in winning this fight, even if it's due. If Jones looks good in losing then it's easy for detractors to say Calzaghe was maybe never as good as he most definitely is, that Jones would have whupped him in his prime (Rocky Marciano vs Joe Louis, Larry Holmes vs Muhammad Ali are good examples of this, even when Louis admitted Marciano would have beaten him at any point in his career).

The other possibility is that Jones beats him (which I think can only happen by KO, no easy feat as Calzaghe is as stubbornly defiant a man as you will see when it comes to getting beat, but who knows in boxing...). This seriously diminishes his legacy, reduces Lacy and Kessler to over-rated bums (which they seriously are not, especially Kessler), Eubank becomes a washed-up old vet that gave him hell (rather than a superb old vet that gave him hell) and we'll all start hearing from people other than Robin Reid that the split-decision against Robin Reid was a robbery.

Not going to happen.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts

Good post and I agree this fight is not a credible fight for his resume. Even if RJ does somewhat turns back the clock, it won't be for the entire fight and in the duration of his "prime time skills" then he will expose Calzaghe to what would have happened in RJ's prime. I want RJ to win and I think he's too smart to lose by mere workrate. But if Cal wins it won't surprise me because there's no way RJ can keep up with Cal's workrate.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed, Lets try to limit the number of same topic threads guys :thumbsup: 2 at most.

Nope, your right.

There ya go lol.
Apologies, I'm a bit new to these forums and did not realise quite how many threads there are, been stuck on Youtube for the past while but I can't get a reasonable debate going!

·
The Professor
8,572 Posts
That's a myth that Louis "admitted" Marciano would have beaten him during any point of his career. Marciano could have won 3 out of 10 fights against Louis at best. He maybe admitted he could beat him on any ONE given night, but that's true with just about everybody, only thing that changes is the odds that night is the magic night.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.