Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rocjy Marciano had many hidden assets about him, defence is one. I found this good defence highlight of him:

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Rocjy Marciano had many hidden assets about him, defence is one. I found this good defence highlight of him:

Thanks for posting this video here bill. I always loved Rocky Marciano's perfect ability to slip punches. I hope that more people see this thread and realize the truth about Marciano's defense.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Almost all of the people that fought Marciano said he looked easy to hit so they thought he would be a somewhat easy fight. Afterwards they all said he was nearly impossible to hit with a good, square punch, and when they did he barely seemed to notice anyway.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
that is because it was an illusion. He purposely made himself look open, but when the punch was coming he would instinctively switch into defensive mode. Sounds simular to Ali dangling his hands at his hips doesnt it?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that is because it was an illusion. He purposely made himself look open, but when the punch was coming he would instinctively switch into defensive mode. Sounds simular to Ali dangling his hands at his hips doesnt it?
Yes it does.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
There is also something in the video that they forgot to mention about the way that Marciano fights. If you ever watched the fight in 1955 between Rocky Marciano and Archie Moore, than you would notice that Marciano used his height to his advantage and dip below Moore's belt, which made Marciano impossible to hit while he was doing it, and than he would come back up with speed and the momentum and the force and he would throw a hook and then go down again. Rocky Marciano was truely a genius with the way that he fought, just like Muhammad Ali was. Ali had the perfect style for his body, and Rocky Marciano had the perfect style for his.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
When some ppl said he wasnt any close to Joe Frazier's or Mike Tyson's league, because while he was a swarmer he didnt have the defense Frazier or Tyson had, I said: Then you really dont know **** about boxing.

Marciano was one gifted athlete, ppl seem to forget that because he was shown in black and white and because of his mauling punches.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
Plus the quality makes it harder to see. I am very glad to see that you know a lot about boxing Megarodon. You should do some blogs and teach people some more things.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When some ppl said he wasnt any close to Joe Frazier's or Mike Tyson's league, because while he was a swarmer he didnt have the defense Frazier or Tyson had, I said: Then you really dont know **** about boxing.

Marciano was one gifted athlete, ppl seem to forget that because he was shown in black and white and because of his mauling punches.
Exactly, better video quality does NOT = better fighters.

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Apart from when he was put down by 2 old middleweights, Oh and im sure you could put together a video of Ricardo Mayorga slipping a few shots
Walcott was a true heavyweight and only just past his prime, and Archie Moore was a lightheavy who was still very good at heavy and in his prime. The Moore knockdown was a flash knockdown and Walcott tagged Marciano clean with his hardest shot and all it did was piss Marciano off.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
Walcott was a true heavyweight and only just past his prime, and Archie Moore was a lightheavy who was still very good at heavy and in his prime. The Moore knockdown was a flash knockdown and Walcott tagged Marciano clean with his hardest shot and all it did was piss Marciano off.

lol im not saying he is chinny, but his defense let through enough to have him hurt and down a few times.

So either his defense is good and when he gets hit his chin dosnt hold up, or this defense aint good at all, but his chin can stand up to the best shots

·
Banned
1,305 Posts
lol im not saying he is chinny, but his defense let through enough to have him hurt and down a few times.

So either his defense is good and when he gets hit his chin dosnt hold up, or this defense aint good at all, but his chin can stand up to the best shots
When you have a toe to toe style, I don't care how good your defense is, you are going to get hit. Marciano did not get hit that often, but he still got hit. Marciano has a great defense AND a great chin.

Never in my life have I ever seen Marciano hurt. If you bring up the rematch with him and Ezzard Charles where Charles accidentally hit Marciano in the nose with his elbow, and his nose split. I watched that fight, and I don't think he was hurt. He would have been able to go 30 more rounds with his split nose, he just knew that the judge was going to stop the fight, so he got busy, and then Charles was destroyed.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
When you have a toe to toe style, I don't care how good your defense is, you are going to get hit. Marciano did not get hit that often, but he still got hit. Marciano has a great defense AND a great chin.

Never in my life have I ever seen Marciano hurt. If you bring up the rematch with him and Ezzard Charles where Charles accidentally hit Marciano in the nose with his elbow, and his nose split. I watched that fight, and I don't think he was hurt. He would have been able to go 30 more rounds with his split nose, he just knew that the judge was going to stop the fight, so he got busy, and then Charles was destroyed.
You have never seen him hurt eh

Light punching 38 yearold Jersey Joe Walcott Put him down

Former Middleweight and even welterweight at the start 39 year old Archie Moore Put him down

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rocky

the class of opposition and style of boxing was different back then so by the old standards he was great even the best but by the new standard and the times of the Ali's, Floyds, and lennox"s then he would be put into the class of a B+ or so brawler who would be much like a Gatti now im not talking him down but a mike tyson would have chewed up and spit out a marciano in two to three rounds so by those standards no he is not overated he just fought in a different era in boxing.

·
Banned
1,305 Posts

Former Middleweight and even welterweight at the start 39 year old Archie Moore Put him down
Just because Marciano was dropped doesn't mean that he was hurt. He was not even down for 5 seconds. After the knockdowns, he would have been able to take their punishment for 50 more rounds.

Jersey Joe Walcott hit Marciano with the same punch that beat Ezzard Charles. That is a very hard punch.

Archie Moore was in his prime when he fought Marciano. He was doing better than when he fought Joey Maxim. and if you are going to try to pretend that you know something about boxing, you might want to get your facts right. Moore was either 42 or 45 years old. The explanation for this is, his mother claimed Moore was born in 1910, and Moore claimed he was born in 1913. Moore said that he had reached the conclusion that he was 3 years old when he was born.

And, Neji, when you say that Tyson would beat Marciano in 2 or 3 rounds is ridiculous. All of the sudden, Marciano's chin dissapears, and he has no punching power, and no determination? You really just severly underated Marciano, and it is insulting!

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Jersey Joe Walcott was a big hitter. He dropped Louis 3 times, and have you ever seen the shot he KO'd Charles with? Archie Moore wasn't a welterweight, nor a middleweight. He was a natural lightheavy who could move up to heavy weith no problems. He was in his prime when he fought Marciano.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts