Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roger Mayweather discusses a potential Mayweather vs. Cotto match up, Floyd's rematch vs. De La Hoya, and reflects back on Mayweather vs. Hatton from late 2007.

G

·
That's bullshitt about Floyd might fight Cotto if he beats Margarito convincingly. He needs to fight him whether it's close or not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
was just watching one of the links on the video clip of rogers son, might put Lehkei Mayweather as my prospect hey, looks mad for a 3 yr old

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
That's bullshitt about Floyd might fight Cotto if he beats Margarito convincingly. He needs to fight him whether it's close or not.
i can see floyd not fighting cotto after beating dlh if cotto beats margarito in contraversial fashion or he loses the fight. other than that it's like what roger said "floyd don't duck and dodge money".

G

·
i can see floyd not fighting cotto after beating dlh if cotto beats margarito in contraversial fashion or he loses the fight. other than that it's like what roger said "floyd don't duck and dodge money".
He ducked Margarito for $8m or something like that. Floyd makes the excuse that money is his primary goal which IMO is a bullshitt excuse to duck his top contenders. If he cared that much about money he wouldn't be wasting his time making a mockery of himself in the WWE for a fraction of what he would make in the ring. I'm not in the "Mayweather hater" fanclub, I like watching him fight even though I'm not keen on him outside the ring.

Saying that, I think the only way Margarito beats Cotto is by an unlikely KO, otherwise Cotto will box his way to a clear decision or maybe even a KO. So I'm almost certain Mayweather-Cotto will happen in 09. :thumbsup:

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
He ducked Margarito for $8m or something like that. Floyd makes the excuse that money is his primary goal which IMO is a bullshitt excuse to duck his top contenders. If he cared that much about money he wouldn't be wasting his time making a mockery of himself in the WWE for a fraction of what he would make in the ring. I'm not in the "Mayweather hater" fanclub, I like watching him fight even though I'm not keen on him outside the ring.

Saying that, I think the only way Margarito beats Cotto is by an unlikely KO, otherwise Cotto will box his way to a clear decision or maybe even a KO. So I'm almost certain Mayweather-Cotto will happen in 09. :thumbsup:
floyd made more fighting the linear welterweight champ for $12-13m or something like that;)

i wouldn't say making around 5 million in a staged event a waste of time. fighters go through hell, so once they reach the top their priorities change. in most cases, money becomes the sole reason they fight on. most fighters will list a variety of reasons they fight for, and will drop the politically correct answers. mayweather doesn't do this to his detriment, and is widely panned for this honesty. this is why fighters like joel casamayor wants to fight someone like juan diaz imo. juan diaz is the bigger payday, so that's why gbp and casamayor want to put him in with him instead of the man that just trounced him. a man who doesn't have drawing power. if margarito was a ppv draw he wouldn't have been labeled the most feared welter......he would've been labeled the most wanted. i don't think margy wins without stopping cotto or dropping him a few times. but he's a very live dog imo. afterwards, hopefully the arum/mayweather lawsuit doesn't gum things up. maybe they can bring in an arbitrator or something to hammer out a deal.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

It was a smart business move to get his name out there. He was already promoting his rematch against DLH. And he got paid on top of that.

G

·
floyd made more fighting the linear welterweight champ for $12-13m or something like that;)

i wouldn't say making around 5 million in a staged event a waste of time. fighters go through hell, so once they reach the top their priorities change. in most cases, money becomes the sole reason they fight on. most fighters will list a variety of reasons they fight for, and will drop the politically correct answers. mayweather doesn't do this to his detriment, and is widely panned for this honesty. this is why fighters like joel casamayor wants to fight someone like juan diaz imo. juan diaz is the bigger payday, so that's why gbp and casamayor want to put him in with him instead of the man that just trounced him. a man who doesn't have drawing power. if margarito was a ppv draw he wouldn't have been labeled the most feared welter......he would've been labeled the most wanted. i don't think margy wins without stopping cotto or dropping him a few times. but he's a very live dog imo. afterwards, hopefully the arum/mayweather lawsuit doesn't gum things up. maybe they can bring in an arbitrator or something to hammer out a deal.

I didn't think he got 5mil, it's still laughable though. Floyd's heart is not in boxing. (and yeah I'd say that even if he was a brit lol) If I was in his situation with the amount of talent he has I would be fighting all the top guys out there, rather than fighting guys we all know he's gonna beat for more cash. Think of how much of a legend he could be if he fought all these guys and walked out of boxing with his P4P tag intact, instead of fighting a shot De La Hoya twice, an unatural WW in Ricky Hatton who we all know he'd beat again, and wrestling with the Big Show LMAO. The guy needs to put things into context, he's already has made millions. He's losing alot of respect in the boxing world just to make some extra cash that he'll probably not spend in his lifetime.

G

·
It was a smart business move to get his name out there. He was already promoting his rematch against DLH. And he got paid on top of that.
Dancing with the stars and WWE should not be on his agenda while he's a profesional fighter. That's how I see things.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
I didn't think he got 5mil, it's still laughable though. Floyd's heart is not in boxing. (and yeah I'd say that even if he was a brit lol) If I was in his situation with the amount of talent he has I would be fighting all the top guys out there, rather than fighting guys we all know he's gonna beat for more cash. Think of how much of a legend he could be if he fought all these guys and walked out of boxing with his P4P tag intact, instead of fighting a shot De La Hoya twice, an unatural WW in Ricky Hatton who we all know he'd beat again, and wrestling with the Big Show LMAO. The guy needs to put things into context, he's already has made millions. He's losing alot of respect in the boxing world just to make some extra cash that he'll probably not spend in his lifetime.
i'm inclined to think i'd do the same, but thinking about it a little more....money changes everybody. especially, once you start making boat loads of it per fight. that being said, i'd most likely look for the biggest paydays also.....i'm just being honest. i don't like the fact that floyd fights for money and not legacy, but i understand the choices he makes. i'd rather see him line up the so-called fighters he's ducking and beat them all in convincing fashion, but it just doesn't work that way nowadays. i've always hoped that mayweather would end things off by unifying the welterweight himself before retiring. it looks like he's opting to let the division unify itself, while he collects a career high payday fighting dlh. afterwards, cotto will be next in line should he beat margarito like most expect.

G

·
i'm inclined to think i'd do the same, but thinking about it a little more....money changes everybody. especially, once you start making boat loads of it per fight. that being said, i'd most likely look for the biggest paydays also.....i'm just being honest. i don't like the fact that floyd fights for money and not legacy, but i understand the choices he makes. i'd rather see him line up the so-called fighters he's ducking and beat them all in convincing fashion, but it just doesn't work that way nowadays. i've always hoped that mayweather would end things off by unifying the welterweight himself before retiring. it looks like he's opting to let the division unify itself, while he collects a career high payday fighting dlh. afterwards, cotto will be next in line should he beat margarito like most expect.
That's very true. Some more than others. As long as he gives the boxing fans what they want (a superfight with Cotto) then I'm happy. :thumbsup:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
You guys are getting upset at the mayweather cotto thing again when clearly roger knows the fight will be happeneing. Great interview.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Oscar De La Hoya is FAR from shot. The guy is still one of the best fighters around and the first fight was competitive throughout. I agree the Hatton rematch is a waste of time as Mayweather is clearly a level above. Floyd cares more about money, but whoever wins out Cotto/Margarito will bring money to the table so that fight will happen. Guarenteed.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
If he wins convincingly. LOL!

He needs to fight him before Hatton.

·
tellin' it like it is
18,612 Posts
If he wins convincingly. LOL!

He needs to fight him before Hatton.
i don't see nothing wrong with roger's words. if margy pulls the upset(a slight possibility) then i think arum has them fight again.

i agree in regards to mayweather fighting cotto before hatton.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts