Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Roy Jones: "If I beat Joe, I'll take the winner of Hopkins-Pavlik or Tarver-Dawson ei

In a recent interview by Bill Emes from Boxingscene.com, RJ has said alot of things about the upcoming fight among other things. Here are just a couple of quotes from RJ....

"Calzaghe don't want me on the ropes, because that's where I want to be at and that's where he wants me at and its not him trapping me, its me trapping him"

(responding to question: People said that this fight can only be won in the middle of the ring) "Well people said I wasn't going to win heavyweight champion of the world either and I did; I don't listen to nobody but God"

(responding to question: Where's your alter-ego RJ?) "Oh he's not coming back, Roy is here to stay. The difference between Roy and RJ is that Roy never quits, he's smarter and never gets discouraged. If Roy walks in the ring in loses the first three rounds, he'll keeping thinking on how he'll change the fight around; RJ would get p****d off and just say the hell with it.'

(responding to question: What are your advantages against Joe Calzaghe?) "I might have more power than him. Don't get me wrong, Calzaghe can punch but I think I have more power than him."

(responding to question: Does him being a southpaw bother you?) "No not at all because he throws alot of punches with both hands. He throws so many punches it won't be a problem at all. The more punches he throws, the more opportunities I have.

(responding to question: Why did you want Calzaghe?)
"He wanted me and I wanted him (Tells reporter he likes his shirt) yea he wanted me and I wanted him but the promoters were getting in the way.

(responding to question: When will you KO Calzaghe?) "It just depends on how he fights"

The whole interview was interesting. He also said that it took this long to get his body right and he feels like someone put a new engine in a new car. So he's definitely feeling rejuvenated even though admitting that he can't move around the ring because his legs won't allow him to. All in all I think we can expect a great RJ coming into the fight, I think he'll bring everything to the table that the old RJ had except footspeed/footwork. I think the handspeed will be there, the power, the quickness of his punches, the ability to get off first, and his great ability to counter.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
He better not take a fight with B-Hop unless he wants to lose :p

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
:laugh:, he should keep his talking till after he's gotten past Calsaghe, he might end up needing new dentures..

ROFL Hugo. Ol Roy has got a lottta chatter for a shot old conman hasnt he lol

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
:laugh:yeap about the only thing that hasn't slow down in that man is his mouth, he better star backing it up, his win against Tito was no major feat, so I say he better put up or STFU....:laugh:

·
8,579 Posts
Roy is still damn good for a shot fighter. If someone can turn back the hands of time that's him.
One thing you can say Jones will have going for him against Calzaghe, he'll get the favoritsm from the judges if its anyway close. Bernard Hopkins didnt

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Roy is still damn good for a shot fighter. If someone can turn back the hands of time that's him.
a SHOT FIGHTER HUH ??:laugh::laugh:

One thing you can say Jones will have going for him against Calzaghe, he'll get the favoritsm from the judges if its anyway close. Bernard Hopkins didnt
I doudt it he's gonna have to earn it, where are they fighting anyhow??

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Credit to Jones. He looks like a different guy now. I would love Hopkins to beat Pavlik and then see Jones-Hopkins II.

·
TRIPLE OG HATER FOR LIFE
16,769 Posts
Credit to Jones. He looks like a different guy now. I would love Hopkins to beat Pavlik and then see Jones-Hopkins II.
If he makes it past calsaghe, which he might maybe, then they should call BH and hopefully if his head does'nt get too swollen Jones won't be so difficult in the negoiations and make the damm fight...

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Jones Jr-Hopkins II is the one fight I have wanted to see for many years now. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever happen.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
If he makes it past calsaghe, which he might maybe, then they should call BH and hopefully if his head doesn't get too swollen Jones won't be so difficult in the negoiations and make the damm fight...
I don't think he would be now. I give a lot of credit to Jones. His attitude now is a lot more pleasing and better to see. A rematch with Hopkins would be one of the biggest fights of the year for sure.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Jones Jr-Hopkins II is the one fight I have wanted to see for many years now. Unfortunately, I don't think it will ever happen.
Yep, it's sure seemed very elusive :laugh:. But I think now may be the time.

I don't see why Jones-Hopkins II couldn't happen if both guys lose. There would still be a lot of interest in it.
Agreed.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, the most dangerous fighter out right now. He's shot but still would be a formidable opponent against anyone.

If you looked at the interview (obviously you didn't) then you could see the laid back, personable roy. B-Hop talks more trash then RJ but since you don't like RJ then you would say that biased garbage.

Agreed :thumbsup:. RJ is a changed man...he's still got that confident swagger but he's more personable.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
I agree, the most dangerous fighter out right now. He's shot but still would be a formidable opponent against anyone.

If you looked at the interview (obviously you didn't) then you could see the laid back, personable roy. B-Hop talks more trash then RJ but since you don't like RJ then you would say that biased garbage.

Agreed :thumbsup:. RJ is a changed man...he's still got that confident swagger but he's more personable.
I'm liking the new Jones a lot. He was always good before, but now he's a lot more friendly and personable like you said.

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
a SHOT FIGHTER HUH ??:laugh::laugh:
He's still better than most shot fighters out there and some guys who are in their prime.
39 yr old shot Roy :

It will happen if they both lose.

The most dangerous past-his-best fighter.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Would you say he's shot? He's nowhere near as good but I think he can still do a lot at Light Heavyweight now his weight has stabilized.

·
8,579 Posts

Shoot C'mon What has Jones got to swagger about?? He got his lights blasted out TWICE he then met 2 clubfighters and then took on trinidad who hadnt fought in nearly 3 yrs and who is even more shot than jones himselfROFL Get Real People

1 - 20 of 119 Posts