Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roy Jones Jr. is a hero to many who have followed his pro boxing career. As fame hits a lot of boxers, some of them tend to forget they are role models for the youths in our communities. Jones Jr. however is not one of those boxers.

On Saturday, it is being reported that Jones Jr. is scheduled to appear at Chilton County High School. Jones Jr. will arrive for an event called "Knockout Evening with the Champ." The event is a fund raiser to help aid the American Red Cross disaster relief fund. Jones Jr. will be there to greet fans and sign autographs from 5-8 p.m. in the school's auditorium.

Quoted in the Clanton Advertiser, Alabama, the School's Principal, Greg DeJarnett stated in regards to Jones Jr's scheduled appearance: "It's a great opportunity for young people to see and hear one of the pound-for-pound best fighters in the world to encourage them to be successful despite life's tough times." DeJarnett added: "I would encourage both young and old to come out."

Boxing is extremely lucky and fortunate to have a fighter like Roy Jones Jr. representing the sport so well.

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Roy Jones Jr. is a hero to many who have followed his pro boxing career. As fame hits a lot of boxers, some of them tend to forget they are role models for the youths in our communities. Jones Jr. however is not one of those boxers.

On Saturday, it is being reported that Jones Jr. is scheduled to appear at Chilton County High School. Jones Jr. will arrive for an event called "Knockout Evening with the Champ." The event is a fund raiser to help aid the American Red Cross disaster relief fund. Jones Jr. will be there to greet fans and sign autographs from 5-8 p.m. in the school's auditorium.

Quoted in the Clanton Advertiser, Alabama, the School's Principal, Greg DeJarnett stated in regards to Jones Jr's scheduled appearance: "It's a great opportunity for young people to see and hear one of the pound-for-pound best fighters in the world to encourage them to be successful despite life's tough times." DeJarnett added: "I would encourage both young and old to come out."

Boxing is extremely lucky and fortunate to have a fighter like Roy Jones Jr. representing the sport so well.

As a fellow fan of RJ I too am happy. Not only to see another African American with power ACTUALLY USE IT AND STAND FOR SOMETHING. But also a BOXER of high power actually using his power for good and not just for money. (cough cough PBF!) Hopefully kids and others look at RJ for inspiration to do something good for a change...

G

·
I agree, I figured it was worth noting. He doesnt get alot of publicity in doing good things.
to be honest lance, while its great what RJJ is doing, most celebrities and sports stars do alot of charity work, some alot more than Roy and very rarely do any of them get any credit for what they do. hes not alone in that, fair play to him for it, but hes not the only one.Im quite sure Floyd does an awful lot of charity work aswell, but im sure all that goes unnoticed also.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts

I wonder how much he'll charge them for his appearance??
But dont forget there is still a cloud hanging over him due to him alledgedly testing positive for a banned substance.

G

·
CJ, not again please dude :laugh:

still dont get the point to this thread all the same. most sportstars do lots and lots of charity work and some of them probably do alot more that roy. but credit to roy and everyone of them who do their bit for charity, dont see why we need a thread about it all the same :laugh:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
to be honest lance, while its great what RJJ is doing, most celebrities and sports stars do alot of charity work, some alot more than Roy and very rarely do any of them get any credit for what they do. hes not alone in that, fair play to him for it, but hes not the only one.Im quite sure Floyd does an awful lot of charity work aswell, but im sure all that goes unnoticed also.
I know this, but I felt is was worth noting, since we give credit to everyone else here, I have a feeling someone will figure out a wait to even downgrade this. I did this for a reason to even prove a point.

But dont forget there is still a cloud hanging over him due to him alledgedly testing positive for a banned substance.
Point proven. :thumbsup:

·
8,579 Posts
I know this, but I felt is was worth noting, since we give credit to everyone else here, I have a feeling someone will figure out a wait to even downgrade this. I did this for a reason to even prove a point.

Just giving you a little bit ,of what you like dishing out, back at you Lance. I know Roy is a decent guy I've told you what he did for our buddy Gavin. Like Paulie Ayala spending Christmas morning with the kids in hospital boxers do a lot and they dont like the media involved

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What a classless post

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You just dont understand do you? Why do you have to turn every thread into something personal against me, or shane, or mayweather or roy. Just let it go. If this thread was about bhop or ayala or ali, you would be all over their ****.

·
8,579 Posts
You just dont understand do you? Why do you have to turn every thread into something personal against me, or shane, or mayweather or roy. Just let it go. If this thread was about bhop or ayala or ali, you would be all over their ****.
Jeez Lance Why bring mayweather into this He 's retired Gone vamoosed let him stay gone And who mentioned Shane or you ? Dont try to make this something it isnt

This got out of hand quick. I want to make one thing clear, and CJ this is not directed only at you...We talk about fighters, period. So far I have seen going back and forth yet again at each other. This is stopping or else people will be suspended. You cant say I didnt give all of you fair warning. I have been at this for two months now, only to see the same ole same ole.

Fighters are fair topic. What CJ said was not out of line or classless if it was true. Was it baiting, you bet. But baiting is also assuming someone will come in and ruin the thread. That too is baiting.

Talk about the fighters and not each other. stay on topic!

·
8,579 Posts
What a classless post
Why thankyou wicked [strike]asComing from an expert like you its an honor[/strike] :cheeky4:

Why was this necessary and what does it have to do with Roy Jones Jr, Helps Aid Fundraiser For Red Cross? I defended what you said earlier by the way but it is baiting and you knew you would get that type of response.truebluefan

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
edited for obvious reasons truebluefan

·
8,579 Posts
edited for his response. It was not a bad response it's just he quoted an edited post

·
aka Dr. Real
8,103 Posts
Just because RJ is something that you're not doesn't give you the right to hate on him...I'm proud of him. It shows his class and the [strike]lack of yours[/strike]...

Fighters are fair game...posters are not truebluefan

·
8,579 Posts
Just because RJ is something that you're not doesn't give you the right to hate on him...I'm proud of him. It shows his class and the edited...
I'm being serious now my friend.. I hope that had I been blessed with the fantastic natural God Given talents Roy was blessed with I would have made better use of them than he did. Sure he ruled the roost as
P4P #1 BUT he let his enormous ego take over. One example was playing pro basketball the day he was defending his world title.That was a slap in the face for his opponent and for boxing. What would have happened had he turned an ankle and couldnt fight????. Like that video of the interview and question time When he insulted James Toney.
He claimed Toney wasnt viable as a legit return opponent because he " got his opponents out of caskets". Then he tried to sell upcoming opponent Bryant Brannon as a legit contender.ROFL He made himself look foolish. I certainly dont hate Roy in fact i feel sorry for him in a way he could have retired unbeaten and have been recognised as one of the greatest ever.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I'm being serious now my friend.. I hope that had I been blessed with the fantastic natural God Given talents Roy was blessed with I would have made better use of them than he did. Sure he ruled the roost as
P4P #1 BUT he let his enormous ego take over. One example was playing pro basketball the day he was defending his world title.That was a slap in the face for his opponent and for boxing. What would have happened had he turned an ankle and couldnt fight????. Like that video of the interview and question time When he insulted James Toney.
He claimed Toney wasnt viable as a legit return opponent because he " got his opponents out of caskets". Then he tried to sell upcoming opponent Bryant Brannon as a legit contender.ROFL He made himself look foolish. I certainly dont hate Roy in fact i feel sorry for him in a way he could have retired unbeaten and have been recognised as one of the greatest ever.
Do you think Lennox Lewis filming a movie instead of training before his first fight with Hasim Rahman was a slap in the face to his opponent?

·
8,579 Posts
Do you think Lennox Lewis filming a movie instead of training before his first fight with Hasim Rahman was a slap in the face to his opponent?
The movie deal was made before the fight was signed. But he was partying instead of training he was also late arriving in S Africa and didnt have time to acclimatise to the thin air. Add this to the fact Lennox underestimated Rahman and you have the recipe for disaster.
Believe me I told him what I felt. He said " Dont worry I'll make it up to everyone in the return" He kept his word didnt he LOL

·
8,579 Posts
1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.