25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Roy Jones JR vs Anthony Hanshaw

12 round's, lightheavy weight contest.

July 14th 2007, Mississippi Coast Coliseum, Biloxi, MS, USA

·
Registered
201 Posts
what was the deal with the fight being in NY... Rumor? or truth? Cause i have passes for the one in miss....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I am disapointed that Jones lured Hanshaw up to LHW. I woulda rather seen Jones fight a legit Light HW.

Either way I hope Jones gets Ko'd.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
now thats not very nice erik. I understand where your coming from but hanshaw would of eventually made his way to lightheavyewight just becasue the money is better there and what a better time to jump up to lhw than to fight one of the greatest of all time.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
tysonjones said:
now thats not very nice erik. I understand where your coming from but hanshaw would of eventually made his way to lightheavyewight just becasue the money is better there and what a better time to jump up to lhw than to fight one of the greatest of all time.

Yeah my point exactly Jones is pulling a Calzaghe luring a guy up in weight way before he is ready.
Same thing when Calzaghe pulled Bika outa the showtime super MW PROSPECT tourny. He was a PROSPECT on the way up not ready to move up in weight & class.

You know who else was in that tourny? Hanshaw.

If you 2 are gonna fight raw young up & comers, way before they develop at least pick guys in your weight class. Shame on Jones & Calzaghe.

Jones should be fighting a legit Light HW like Adamek, Briggs or even an Otis Griffin. Someone thats been at the weight for a few years.

·
Registered
201 Posts
ERIK said:
Yeah my point exactly Jones is pulling a Calzaghe luring a guy up in weight way before he is ready.
Same thing when Calzaghe pulled Bika outa the showtime super MW PROSPECT tourny. He was a PROSPECT on the way up not ready to move up in weight & class.

You know who else was in that tourny? Hanshaw.

If you 2 are gonna fight raw young up & comers, way before they develop at least pick guys in your weight class. Shame on Jones & Calzaghe.

Jones should be fighting a legit Light HW like Adamek, Briggs or even an Otis Griffin. Someone thats been at the weight for a few years.

well actually JONES took this fight just to test himself since Calzaghe didn't want to fight him. BUT if Jones ends up with a W, then hes going to call calzaghe out i believe, but end up fighting Kessler. BUT ultimately I think him and calzaghe will have no choice but to fight unless calzaghe retires before he ever takes a real fight...

·
Registered
201 Posts
o yeah agreed... hes not an up and coming hes right where he needs to be... for him this a DREAM... i mean hes fighting a BIG NAME... i hope RJJ proves me wrong and shows that hes not just fighting a big name but a good fighter... anyway both fighters are getting something out of this... RJJ is just testing and trying to get rid of the ring rust and well Hanshaw is getting a big chance to really make his name and prove himself... much respect to him... Im just wondering mentally if hes ready for RJJ....

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think Roy believs that he may as well get this guy now then a year from now when he has matured so more. Jones has a real shot at looking good against this guy. but in my mind what does that do for Jone's overall status? Johnson just won an impresive fight a few weeks ago maybe they can come together again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
hey thats a possibility if Calzaghe turns him down once again, and if kessler's fighting someone else. That could be a good fight for him. but who knows with this next fight, unless he looks extremely good, this will and should be his last...

·
Registered
707 Posts
that is the silly part why go out fighting a guy like that when he could have fought Hop after the Winky fight and have a good chance at leaving with his name re-energized because right now most boxing fans know the guy is a had been!!. he needs to prove to us he is not.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
LeedsLad said:
If Hanshaw is a young livewire, he will beat RJJ.

He is a livewire & good up and coming fighter.

But to be fighting the biggest fight of his career and moving up in weight in the same night may be to much for a younger fighter.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
then maybe it will be a wakeup call for hanshaw. There is no shame in losing to one of the greatest of all time, it would make him a better fighter if he lost to rj. This fight is great for both. Its a chance to see if rj still has it and its a chance to see a prospect against a one of the best veterans. Hanshaw is definently in a win win situation here. If he loses, oh well, who hasnt lost to roy jones besides glen johnson. If he wins, well he'll be in line for a major title shot before long. The only other 168 pounders that are big are kessler, calzaghe and possibly lacy still, well mundine too. Hanshaw definently doesnt want to go after them yet, But it will let rj and hanshaw know if they are ready to challenge for a title.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
if roy wins and gets a title, that would put a smile on my face, because fighteres as great as him should go out with a title, and the fact that he could overcome those 2 ko losses and still come back when everyone counted him out, would be great for me and boxing. I could finally let him go and be satisfied with him retiring if he can do that.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts