Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Hearns ud or late KO. Roy couldn't take a big shot and Hearns had one of the best right hands of all time. Hears was also fast enough to catch Roy when he did his showboating.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Hearns would take Jones at middleweight. Hearns didn't have any problem with boxers. He dealt with Wilfred Benitez's speed and his counter punching just fine. He was extremely effective against Ray Leonard and should have won their second fight. His height and reach would be huge factors because he would actually use them. The way to take away speed is the jab and Tommy would use it often and effectively. If he landed clean with the big right hand, he'd knock Jones out cold.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
RJ by UD...if I'm not mistaken the hitman won a close decision against Virgil Hill...the same man that would succumb to one of the most deadly body punches I've ever seen from RJ and would lose by KO.

Hearns was way past his best when he beat Hill, that was 2 or 3 years after Hearns second fight with SRL. And Hill was past his best when Roy beat him to, he'd had the war with Maske and had been hammered for 12 rounds by DM.

Prime hearns at 160 would have knocked Roy out, Hearns is easily an ATG with a right hand like a piston.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Its just my opinion but I think that Jones is more skillful then Hearns and that he eventually will have tired Hearns enough with the circling and jabbing that a few REALLY big power punches in the later rounds would be enough to KO Hearns.
Even Sugar Ray Leonard wasnt able to circle Hearns, and in fact Hearns was outboxing him.

The way to get him tired would be the opposite(as it was proven), wich is to go after him. Sugar Ray Leonard suceeded in doing so(but lets remember, he did it after the 12th round, otherwise hearns wouldve won). - So, would Jones risk to go out in a bang with someone as fast and as powerfull as Hearns?

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
Its just my opinion but I think that Jones is more skillful then Hearns and that he eventually will have tired Hearns enough with the circling and jabbing that a few REALLY big power punches in the later rounds would be enough to KO Hearns.
Hearns wouldn't get out boxed by Roy. Roy would have to try to overwhelm Tommy, which I wouldn't think he would do. He would more than likely try all of that wierd crap that made him so famous and unique. After he got tagged a few times he would start to stop doing that and Hearns would wear him down with his big right and quick jab.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Even Sugar Ray Leonard wasnt able to circle Hearns, and in fact Hearns was outboxing him.

The way to get him tired would be the opposite(as it was proven), wich is to go after him. Sugar Ray Leonard suceeded in doing so(but lets remember, he did it after the 12th round, otherwise hearns wouldve won). - So, would Jones risk to go out in a bang with someone as fast and as powerfull as Hearns?
I don't know, that doesn't seem like something Roy Jones would do, I'm reluctant to admit it but you may be right :cheeky4:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts

Jab? :confused:

Roys lucky if he's thrown 12 jabs in his whole career man. ;)

Roy doesn't have a jab mate.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts