Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, so I had a interesting talk with Roy Jones jr last night. I was chillin at a club here in Pensacola and he comes over and orders a water while wating for a wet T-Shirt contest to start. I'm like WTF, The first thing I ask is of course, Dude, Whats the deal with Calzaghe? He said "O that bitch ass won't fight me, his team are scared of Roy Jones Jr." and then added, "they think that Taylor will be the next match" I said ***** that, beat his scared a$$. He laughed and said "they don't want no Roy Jones jr". I do admit he looked in the best shape of his life... anyway I know he's past his prime but thats all it takes for Calzaghe. Roy Jones would take him. He's slowed down alot but that makes him even with Calzaghe, so it would be a great fight and a good come back match for jones. Anyway I found it funny that he mentioned Calzaghe's team and how they AVOID fighters. He proved me right on so many levels with Calzaghe's B*tch ASS... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

and Jones did say he fights in July......

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
i would love to meet roy jones jr. My favorite fighter for life. Most gifted and talented ATHLETE ever of any sport. I hope he still fights in july. I wouldnt say he has slowed down alot at all, his hands are still as fast as ever, he just didnt throw as much against badi. He has still got everything except he worries about a PUNCH to much.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
true. He was really confidant about fighting in July. I just wish Calzaghe would MAN up and actually fight him. Calzaghe wouldn't be able to handle his punching power and speed. Jones wouldn't have to really worry about anything from Calzaghe. Because he dosnt hit hard and is slower than Jones. It would be a great come back from roy.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
tysonjones said:
i would love to meet roy jones jr. My favorite fighter for life. Most gifted and talented ATHLETE ever of any sport. I hope he still fights in july. I wouldnt say he has slowed down alot at all, his hands are still as fast as ever, he just didnt throw as much against badi. He has still got everything except he worries about a PUNCH to much.
First of all Roy's hands have slowed some, but it is his legs and agility that have faded significantly. He is nowhere near the same as he was so don't kid yourself.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
First of all Roy's hands have slowed some, but it is his legs and agility that have faded significantly. He is nowhere near the same as he was so don't kid yourself.
So your saying that the "amateur piddle pat" puncher Calzaghe is fast and strong enough to take Jones? I really doubt it. He does not move that fast let alone have the power to hit and KO Roy Jones Jr. You should have heard what he was saying about him.. it was quit amusing, had me laughing the whole night. I will NEVER have respect for Calzaghe as a true champion. Especially when Manfredo can sit there and laugh at him even though he was so called beat. lol.. Calzaghe is in for a RUDE awakening once his foot steps into the ring in the US against a top P4P boxer. it will be all curtains for him. over before it all began. But thats if the man will actually take a fight.. and not a Manfredo rematch eighter...

I know Jones is not the Jones he used to be, but thats my point. An old over the hill Jones can still take a JOE CALZAGHE any day of the week... Calzaghe cant handle a guy with more speed. That was the only thing he had working for him. What happens when your speed is to slow....

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
you guys are all trippin as much as roy is if you even think for a second he could make 168 now.

NO WAY IN HELL!!!

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Talks were of the fight being at 175. Or at least that is what I read a month ago. I think it is b.s. because Joe should NOT have to do anything extra being the "man" and all.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
PrettyBoyFloyd said:
Talks were of the fight being at 175. Or at least that is what I read a month ago. I think it is b.s. because Joe should NOT have to do anything extra being the "man" and all.
the deal on the table was to fight in cardiff at 168 and the winner takes 60% of the purse and roy would hjave got 40%.:D

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well either way Jones said Calzaghe dosnt want to fight him. Meaning Jones not wanting to go over there and Calzaghe not wanting to come over here. Plus I think Jones wants all the money. Which is not right but anyway its not going to happen....

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
WES said:
well either way Jones said Calzaghe dosnt want to fight him. Meaning Jones not wanting to go over there and Calzaghe not wanting to come over here. Plus I think Jones wants all the money. Which is not right but anyway its not going to happen....
joe wanted rjj while he was primed. roy was so hard to negotiate with the fight could never be made.

sounds like calzaghes doing the same now the shoes on the other foot, i dont blame him id do the same.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, Very true. But Jones had NOTHING to prove, nothing at all. If a man wanted to fight him, they had to give Jones what ever HE wanted. NOW let’s change shoes, Calzaghe.... haha has everything to prove. He is by NO means of a fighter that Jones was. Calzaghe should be giving any top P4P fighter what they want to an extent. Because until he comes over here (FOR ONCE) and dominates (yeah right), everyone will still be asking who is this cat? Why was he a champion for like 10 years? O that’s right, lack of talent over there.

Clazaghe has everything to prove here, and by the way it’s looking he doesn’t seem to confidant about things. If he was, he would MAN UP and fight here with any one of the TOP P4P fighters. If he was to actually win a few fights, he could be as picky and demanding as he wants. Until then, he needs to wake up and smell the coffee.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
WES said:
Ok, Very true. But Jones had NOTHING to prove, nothing at all. If a man wanted to fight him, they had to give Jones what ever HE wanted. NOW let’s change shoes, Calzaghe.... haha has everything to prove. He is by NO means of a fighter that Jones was. Calzaghe should be giving any top P4P fighter what they want to an extent. Because until he comes over here (FOR ONCE) and dominates (yeah right), everyone will still be asking who is this cat? Why was he a champion for like 10 years? O that’s right, lack of talent over there.

Clazaghe has everything to prove here, and by the way it’s looking he doesn’t seem to confidant about things. If he was, he would MAN UP and fight here with any one of the TOP P4P fighters. If he was to actually win a few fights, he could be as picky and demanding as he wants. Until then, he needs to wake up and smell the coffee.
joes already dominated the best america had to offer, i dont see a 97 year old hopkins even staying on his feet for 12 rounds, winky would get brutalised and taylors a joke.

either your jeff lacy himself or somebody from the uk has seriously pissed you off man.

cut the hate, i only ever hear you talk trash about uk fighters. (calzaghe-lewis) :laugh:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tommygunn said:
joes already dominated the best america had to offer, i dont see a 97 year old hopkins even staying on his feet for 12 rounds, winky would get brutalised and taylors a joke.

either your jeff lacy himself or somebody from the uk has seriously pissed you off man.

cut the hate, i only ever hear you talk trash about uk fighters. (calzaghe-lewis) :laugh:

Lol… ok for one there’s only a handful of good UK fighters anyhow. Two I only bash on Calzaghe because he thinks he’s the best and well he is far from being that.

Lewis on the other hand was just the beginning of the end for the heavyweight division. But when it comes to UK fighters, hey I’m all about HATTON. He has a lot more learning to do. I don’t think he could take PBF right now. But I don’t hate on UK fighters. I just don’t understand what the hype is about Calzaghe. He is NOT that great and will never be anything more than what he is. Lewis, I don’t hate. I just disliked his style his performances etc. other than that I don’t know of any other UK fighters. I’m sure there is a reason for that.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
WES said:
Lol… ok for one there’s only a handful of good UK fighters anyhow. Two I only bash on Calzaghe because he thinks he’s the best and well he is far from being that.

Lewis on the other hand was just the beginning of the end for the heavyweight division. But when it comes to UK fighters, hey I’m all about HATTON. He has a lot more learning to do. I don’t think he could take PBF right now. But I don’t hate on UK fighters. I just don’t understand what the hype is about Calzaghe. He is NOT that great and will never be anything more than what he is. Lewis, I don’t hate. I just disliked his style his performances etc. other than that I don’t know of any other UK fighters. I’m sure there is a reason for that.
Joe-Cal would beat RJJ IMO in a 12 round decision. Roy couldn't make 168 though. I thought it was going to be at 175 for some reason.

I have two differing opinions on Calzaghe's willingness to fight here or lack there of.

1. He is the "man" at 168 and has not been beat. He is considered to be at the top of his division and holds the spot at the top of the bargaining ladder. Guys should have to sacrifice to get a fight with him. He should not have to come over here to fight because he is "proven."

2. This is the opposite of 1 for a few reasons. In my opinion Calzaghe is slightly overrated by people from the UK and highly underrated by people in the US. I would like to see Calzaghe say screw it and come over here to fight to "prove himself." If he cares a lot about his resume or whatever you want to call it, a fight in the US with a big name could help.

I lost my train of thought somewhat so if #2 didn't make too much sense I apologize. I'm just on the fence with Calzaghe so I get a tad confused :)

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
the fight will never happen, jones can hardly make 175, and joe isnt moving out of the 168 division because he is trying to set records and secure his legacy. Calzage will stay at 168 until he gets beat and thats to say if he gets beat, if he keeps fighting contenders, he will always be undefeated. I for one would love to see taylor beat miranda or pavlik and move to 168, beat calzage, and then move up to 175 and beat the champ there and become a 3 division champ. Maybe then he can get some respect. I know i went off subject, but to get back on, ROY JONES JR did this, i see taylor doing this as well.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
I would LOVE to see Taylor-Hopkins again but at 175. I don't think taylor would be able to hold his own at that weight and Bernard would beat him. (Again)

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
well i dont have time to argue shane , but ill say this, naaaaaa, imagine how much bigger taylor would be at that weight. Hopkins looked good at 175, but taylor at 160 is bigger than a 175 hopkins. I would love to see it as well. Taylor needs a 175 pound belt:)

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
the hopkins v taylor fights were boring as hell, i dont think id pay cash to see a third instalment of it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
me neither, the only fight i wanted to see Hopkins fight was if he was to move to heavyweight. I think it was kind of funny to do, But i think hes smart and would win against any one of them in that division as long as he moved and didn't get hit. he would win by UD. He hits hard but not enough to knock one of them beasts out.... it would be good for him if he did that and won then he could retire on a good note. hes almost milking the system now...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts