Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 20 of 129 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joe Calzaghe has ruled out a rematch with Bernard Hopkins insisting the forthcoming fight with Roy Jones Jr will be his last.

Hopkins, who lost a contentious split decision to Calzaghe in April, ended Kelly Pavlik's unbeaten record with a unanimous points win in Atlantic City.

And now the 43-year-old American wants a second go against unbeaten Calzaghe.

But the Welshman said: "Jones Jr will the last fight for me, definitely - that's it, me done."

He added: "Screw Hopkins, I'm not fighting again for any amount of money, I've been doing this for too long.

"Hopkins beating Pavlik in the style he did actually gives my victory over Hopkins more credibility.

"When I beat Hopkins, people say he was just a washed up old man, a shadow of the fighter of years gone by.

Jones fight was right choice - Calzaghe
"But he has just annihilated the so-called next big thing in boxing in a fight he called the fight of his life."

Hopkins proved he can still compete at a world class level as he destroyed WBC and WBO middleweight champion Pavlik in their non-title 170lb catch-weight fight on Saturday.

"The Executioner" hailed the Pavlik victory as the best win of his 55-fight career.

He said: "Better than Antonio Tarver, better than Felix Trinidad, better than Oscar De La Hoya, better than my 21 defences.

"I wanted to do it to prove people wrong and prove I could still do it at the age of 43.

Now Hopkins insists he would travel to the UK for a rematch with Calzaghe, who fights Jones Jr at New York's Madison Square Garden on 8 November, to show the world he can still do the business.

606: DEBATE
Now Pavlik has been out-classed by Hopkins, maybe people might ease of Calzaghe should he beat Jones Jr as there isn't anything left for him to do

welsh_lion

"I would even go to England and fight Calzaghe in England if he beats Roy Jones Jr next month," he said.

But Calzaghe, who turned down a fight with Pavlik, he added: "Hopkins beating Pavlik is great for me because people will stop banging on about me fighting Pavlik.

"I always thought Pavlik was one dimensional, a very good fighter but not a great.

"So I can retire with a clear conscience knowing that I've beaten everyone who's worth beating.

"I heard Hopkins wanted a rematch with me, but I don't do rematches.

"I've got nothing to prove to anyone.

"I've proved everything that I needed to prove when I beat Hopkins in Vegas earlier in the year.

"I'm hungry for Roy Jones Jr but after that my motivation for boxing will be over, because when I knock him out I'll have beaten the only legend I haven't take care of."

Bitch move, plain and simple. Run Joe Run. You got the closest of decisions against Bhop many felt you didnt deserve and a rematch was warranted.:mad:

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Don't see how you can give a man a win with one KD, Because Hop didn't do much after that??? Joe was the rightful winner in their fight and now he is running??? Joe still has to get through Jones before any of this can be talked about.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Guys dont forget it wasnt long ago that Calzaghe was calling Roy Jones a shot, old, over the hill fighter. Once there was chance of a big payday to fight Jones, Calzaghe calls him a living legend. ROFL. Calzaghe has the gall to say Hopkins only wants to fight for the $$$$$$$$$
Sorry to say it Joe but you suck big time now. I defended you for the longest time when folks called to a duck, but sad to say thats exactly what youve become A DUCK

·
Fire of the Dragon
241 Posts
i know, thats why three different threads have been done hating on him in the space of half an hour! im loving it myself, its shown he's gotten into their heads!

posters come on complaining about the likes of myself and you ulster for defending him, serious i want to give credit to hopkins for the other night! but the haters have got to stop brining calzaghe's name up aswell if they dont want us to take them on in an argument!

·
8,579 Posts
i know, thats why three different threads have been done hating on him in the space of half an hour! im loving it myself, its shown he's gotten into their heads!

posters come on complaining about the likes of myself and you ulster for defending him, serious i want to give credit to hopkins for the other night! but the haters have got to stop brining calzaghe's name up aswell if they dont want us to take them on in an argument!
Ioan I defended Joe and supported him. I thought folk were giving him a bum rap. BUT The day he stopped deriding Roy Jones jr, and started calling him a legend instead of a shot fighter, just to get an easy pay day fight he lost me. For the first time since he was robbed in the olympics i'll be hoping for a jones jr win. Talk about two faced ROFL joe has the audacity to claim Nard only want to fight him for $$$$$$$

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Guys dont forget it wasnt long ago that Calzaghe was calling Roy Jones a shot, old, over the hill fighter. Once there was chance of a big payday to fight Jones, Calzaghe calls him a living legend. ROFL. Calzaghe has the gall to say Hopkins only wants to fight for the $$$$$$$$$
Sorry to say it Joe but you suck big time now. I defended you for the longest time when folks called to a duck, but sad to say thats exactly what youve become A DUCK
That is exactly why you should be taking what he says witha grain of salt. He alreay fought and beat Hop. So now he is ducking him??? You know damn well GB will come at him with a big payday if he gets past Jones and then we can see how he feels about rematches.

·
8,579 Posts
But Knuckle Calzaghe didnt BEAT Hopkins he got a very dubious split decision Big difference

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I watched the fight and saw a win for Joe. Was it a great fight? No. Did some maybe see a win for Hop? Yes. Did Joe still get the win? Yes. Even if you don't agree with it, he still lost. After the knockdown Nard didn't do much of anything. Joe didn't land clean, hard shots but was plenty more active the Hop to win rounds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Very true man. I respect and appreciate Hopkins to the fullest but it's sad that other people can't appreciate Calzaghe's talents without bringing up his resume. That's all they've got because it's pretty damn clear he's an elite fighter and certified HOF'er. :thumbsup:

Ioan I defended Joe and supported him. I thought folk were giving him a bum rap. BUT The day he stopped deriding Roy Jones jr, and started calling him a legend instead of a shot fighter, just to get an easy pay day fight he lost me. For the first time since he was robbed in the olympics i'll be hoping for a jones jr win. Talk about two faced ROFL joe has the audacity to claim Nard only want to fight him for $$$$$$$
:laugh: he's just saying that to hype the fight and sell tickets. You've no problems when Bernard talks shitt to promote do you? Calzaghe hasn't had many big paydays, give him the Jones fight and stop moaning about it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I watched the fight and saw a win for Joe. Was it a great fight? No. Did some maybe see a win for Hop? Yes. Did Joe still get the win? Yes. Even if you don't agree with it, he still lost. After the knockdown Nard didn't do much of anything. Joe didn't land clean, hard shots but was plenty more active the Hop to win rounds.
Yup. I agree 100 percent. But it was close enough, and Hopkins's win over Pavlik was impressive enough, that I will agree that Calzaghe is ducking Hopkins if he doesn't fight him again.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts

:laugh: WOOOOW, don't flatter youself man LOL. That Cal "loss" doesn't bother me at all because yesterday just proved that he had more heart and guts than Cal will ever have. A man turning 44 fights the guy Cal was supposed to fight but instead he wants to fight a 40 yr old RJ. Now who sounds like a true warrior? Plus Hopkins got the W in my eyes anyways. You don't have to give credit to Hopkins, he's mos def earned from many people now. And the last time I checked you and ulster was the guys who first placed Cal's name after Hopkin's victory. Which typical since Cal and his fans are reaching for every little victory he can possibly steal since his legacy is far from being legendary to the world. But OK, and it's understandable :D. But I again state, I'm not hating...I'm simply stating the truth, and there's nothing wrong with that. If you can't stand the heat, get out the kitchen is what I always say :laugh: Greats are never questioned, you all remember that. No one ever questioned how great Michael Jordan was, No one questioned how great RJ was, and no one questioned how great B-Hop is...how about Cal???

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
This is wrong on so many levels. Calzaghe is signed to fight Jones. He has already fought Hopkins. Calzaghe can't be ducking Hopkins just because Hopkins beat the guy that everyone wanted Calzaghe to fight. There has been no offer from Hopkins to team Calzaghe in a time when Calzaghe was open for a fight. Calzaghe stated before he signed the Jones fight that he would most likely retire after his next fight. This is just stupid. Do I want to see Hopkins-Calzaghe II? Hell yeah! Is Calzaghe ducking Hopkins? Hell no. Not yet at least. This is just flat pathetic. This is the same thing as people saying Floyd is ducking Margarito when he was signed to fight Oscar and fans wanted him to fight Cotto afterwards. I'm not a Calzaghe fan, but I call it like I see it. I don't understand why everyone is so infatuated with calling men who fight for a living cowards. That pisses me off to the fullest.

P.S. I'd favor Hopkins over Calzaghe in a rematch.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Calzaghe is a duuuuuuck. Ducking like a motherfucker. Calzaghe is scared of his 0 turning into a 1 and i'm POSITIVE Roy jones will be taking that away. So don't worry Bernard when he loses to Roy he'll want to fight you for the big pay day before he bails out cause he will already have a 1 on the record.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
This is wrong on so many levels. Calzaghe is signed to fight Jones. He has already fought Hopkins. Calzaghe can't be ducking Hopkins just because Hopkins beat the guy that everyone wanted Calzaghe to fight. There has been no offer from Hopkins to team Calzaghe in a time when Calzaghe was open for a fight. Calzaghe stated before he signed the Jones fight that he would most likely retire after his next fight. This is just stupid. Do I want to see Hopkins-Calzaghe II? Hell yeah! Is Calzaghe ducking Hopkins? Hell no. Not yet at least. This is just flat pathetic. This is the same thing as people saying Floyd is ducking Margarito when he was signed to fight Oscar and fans wanted him to fight Cotto afterwards. I'm not a Calzaghe fan, but I call it like I see it. I don't understand why everyone is so infatuated with calling men who fight for a living cowards. That pisses me off to the fullest.

P.S. I'd favor Hopkins over Calzaghe in a rematch.
Calzaghe is a duuuuuuck. Ducking like a motherfucker. Calzaghe is scared of his 0 turning into a 1 and i'm POSITIVE Roy jones will be taking that away. So don't worry Bernard when he loses to Roy he'll want to fight you for the big pay day before he bails out cause he will already have a 1 on the record.
Read post above!!! How can someone be a duck when he already FOUGHT AND BEAT the man??? Truly amazing!

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Close or not, he lost to Joe. You can not call someone a duck if they already fought and beat them. Shane said it perfectly. Hop had his chance to make another offer for a rematch but didn't. Don't take what Cal says right now as if it's set in stone. If Cal gets by Jones and GB makes a huge offer we all know damn well this rematch can take place.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts