Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was running for long distances for about 2 months ( about 5 - 7 miles each time ).. and just recently i started doing sprints once a week and distance once a week... and today i tried running on a high incline and i gotta say, that really worked me out. So which one is most beneficial for a boxer? and BTW ive been doing this all on a treadmill, i would do roadwork but i dont know of any good places to run.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I don't really think running up hills is that beneficial. I know that it works the thighs and you literally gotta climb up there and it becomes harder but i think distance would work better for you on cardio. You're aiming for cardio while running not bigger thigh muscles. But i'm not so sure i've never tried it and i'm thinking of like climbing hills not treads so i'm not really sure. maybe someone else can give you better advice than this

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reason i think treadmills are better then actual hills is that you can adjust the incline, so if its not steep enough you can take it up more. But a hill is just a hill it doesnt change. Im thinking about doing incline and distance one week and doing sprints and distance the next week. Seems like a good plan

·
Registered
4 Posts
One really isn't any better than the other because they all are different and are used for different purposes. Why not run hills for a long distance? The inclines will make your body as a whole have to work much harder and improve your cardio as well as the benefits of running for an extended length. Sprints help your ability to transition into sudden quick "explosive" movements. Its good while running to mix up the speed at which you run such as run at a normal pace for a bit and then suddenly begin to sprint and after a bit slow down to a jog then slowly go back to your normal run then sprint again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
treadmills are fantastic , especially the higher end ones, they have the shock absorber built in and a wide a belt. helps prevent injury sometimes the uneven terrain of the outdoors can do damage. Mixing it up is the best way to train. Keep up the good work

·
Registered
87 Posts
mix it up

I'd mix it up. Running intervals on a hill is terrific. I used to run hills when I was a sprinter. When I started sparring recently one of my first thoughts (as I got gassed) was that I need to start running hills again. Lucky for me I live about a mile from the best running hills in the region. I used to be a sprinter and a fullback in college so I have massive thighs. :cool:

Boxing feels like running hills would help. Distance running is an automatic, though.

·
Premium Member
9,456 Posts
Yeah mixing it up is best, but out of the three running hills is better. I use to be an all-state track runner a couple of years back in the 400m race. I did distance running once a week, sprinted about 4 times a week, but what made the 400m dash easier was running the hills. When I ran the hills, the same distance I ran for long distance seemed easier for me, and my 400m times decreased drastically. I'm not sure where you all are from but I live near the Appalachian Mts so it's not too far to find a hill LOL.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A mix of all is certainly the best because your body has to adjust everytime and no part will get over nor undertrained

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanna ask something about roadwork...
How long time a good roadwork should be ???? I mean how many times in a week and how long does it have to take each time????
This is my big problem for now.Is there anyone who can help me????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Roadwork

How long time a good roadwork should be ???? I mean how many times in a week and how long does it have to take each time????

·
Banned
57 Posts
mix it up all the way.
i do about seven miles atm, and throw in a one minute sprint every mile and two steep inclines and some steps. i dont box, but i can vouch that this is great cardio ex.

·
Registered
87 Posts
good question

My coach used to run 10 miles a day. That seems like a lot to me, but he was a serious competitor. I can't run very far every day since my knees are in bad shape. So, I try to mix in lots of bike riding. I love running hills. I agree with the others here who say you should mix it up with different types of running. If I were a youngster looking to fight competitively, based on what I've learned and how it feels, I'd probably try to put in 6 or more miles most days, and mix in some serious hill work a couple times a week. We've got this hill near my house that's very steep and straight for about 500 yards - it's great.

If you can, get a good coach and bounce this off them.

·
Banned
57 Posts
i'd say six or so miles every otherday, build it up slowly from shorter amounts, going from about 45 mins when you start, which should cover around 4 miles, to about an hour and a half within about a fortnight. dont necessarily increase the distance or time from there on, try and get the run in more often. you can sacrifice a days running for some extra distance, or lose some distance to increas the frequency of your runs. that way you can avoid wearing yourself out or damaging yourself.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
6 miles is too much for a beginner. Try to run 4 miles twice a week. Then each time run an extra half mile until you reach 6 miles. 12 miles a week is a good distance..

so it should be like this

monday - 4 miles

thursday - 4.5 miles

monday - 5 miles

thursday - 5.5 miles

monday - 6 miles

thursday - 6 miles

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
i was running for long distances for about 2 months ( about 5 - 7 miles each time ).. and just recently i started doing sprints once a week and distance once a week... and today i tried running on a high incline and i gotta say, that really worked me out. So which one is most beneficial for a boxer? and BTW ive been doing this all on a treadmill, i would do roadwork but i dont know of any good places to run.
Running hills vs. distance vs. sprints. Which one is better

you should do them all

1 - 18 of 18 Posts