Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the excitement of the last few Months... Hopkins-Calzaghe, Cotto-Margarito a horrible reality hit me.......

We are running out of SUPER FIGHTS to be made.

the only two that I can see down the road are:

Manny Pacquaio vs Joan Guzman

Pavlik vs Margarito

I think too many belts, TV money and fighters with no heart have robbed us all of a golden era for boxing, when the best consistently fought the best.

·
Administrator
4,993 Posts
As big a fan I am of Guzman a fight with Pacquiao wouldnt be a super fight unless he beats Campbell and the winner of Casamayor-Marquez. The super fights are (in no order):

De La Hoya-Margarito
De La Hoya-Anyone
Pacquiao-Hatton
Pacquiao-Marquez III
Pavlik-Abraham
Pavlik-Calzaghe (or Jones)
Mayweather-Margarito

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
After the excitement of the last few Months... Hopkins-Calzaghe, Cotto-Margarito a horrible reality hit me.......We are running out of SUPER FIGHTS to be made.the only two that I can see down the road are:Manny Pacquaio vs Joan GuzmanPavlik vs MargaritoI think too many belts, TV money and fighters with no heart have robbed us all of a golden era for boxing, when the best consistently fought the best.
There's always MMA! JK.

·
Beautiful Man
3,552 Posts
1.Vitali against Peter a fight anybody will see,great fight.
2.Do not forget in my opinion one of the 3 best boxers of all time and this is Roy Jones Jr.And Calzaghe will fight him.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
There are lots of great matchups comming next

Judah x Clottey
Juan Diaz x Katsidis
Casamayor x Juan Manuel Marquez
Pacman x someone
Oscar x someone (maybe pac)
Hatton x Malignaggi
Calzaghe x Jones
Dawson x Tarver(?)

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Calzaghe/Jones is a superfight to me even if both guys are older and Jones is obviously past his prime. I'd argue that Calzaghe may be as well.

De La Hoya/Pacquiao would be a joke like WBC president Jose Sulaiman has said. That being said, it would still be a superfight because of the name recognition and extremely loyal fanbases.

Pacquaio/Hatton would be more realistic than the aforementioned fight and it would be a battle of the two biggest and most vocal fanbases in boxing.

Calzaghe/Pavlik would be the most significant fight between two Caucasians since Dempsey/Tunney.

·
Spike Spiegel
7,078 Posts
Hopkins/Roy Jones. I mean as unlikely as it is, Hopkins and Roy Jones both prevail and face off in one last big fight. Definitely a superfight.

Tyson/Holyfield. Been talked about and this would draw HUGE numbers. Defo a superfight.

Hatton/Oscar/Pac. Basically any of those guys facing off against the other in the ring.

Cotto/Oscar/Margarito. Any of those guys facing Oscar.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Calzaghe/Jones is a superfight to me even if both guys are older and Jones is obviously past his prime. I'd argue that Calzaghe may be as well.

De La Hoya/Pacquiao would be a joke like WBC president Jose Sulaiman has said. That being said, it would still be a superfight because of the name recognition and extremely loyal fanbases.

Pacquaio/Hatton would be more realistic than the aforementioned fight and it would be a battle of the two biggest and most vocal fanbases in boxing.

Calzaghe/Pavlik would be the most significant fight between two Caucasians since Dempsey/Tunney.
Calzaghe is well past his prime too. But it's still a superfight. As are the others you mention :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Hopkins/Roy Jones. I mean as unlikely as it is, Hopkins and Roy Jones both prevail and face off in one last big fight. Definitely a superfight.

Tyson/Holyfield. Been talked about and this would draw HUGE numbers. Defo a superfight.

Hatton/Oscar/Pac. Basically any of those guys facing off against the other in the ring.

Agree with all of them apart from Tyson-Holyfield.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts

That generation besides pac, margy and cotto are on their way out.

·
Premium Member
2,091 Posts
cotto vs vasquez

margarito vs calzaghe

G

·
Pacquaio-Valero
Marquez-Vasquez IV
Pacquaio-JMM III
Calzaghe-Jones
Calzaghe-Pavlik