Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i run on the treadmill twice a week for 70 minutes each time and i try to increase my distance everytime. Today i ran 6.4 miles and i started feeling a little sick afterwards. Is it okay if i keep trying to increase my distance or should i just stick to 6 miles everytime?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well i run on the treadmill twice a week for 70 minutes each time and i try to increase my distance everytime. Today i ran 6.4 miles and i started feeling a little sick afterwards. Is it okay if i keep trying to increase my distance or should i just stick to 6 miles everytime?
It would be much more beneficial if you cut your two sessions of 6 miles in half and running 3 miles 4 times a week, just spread it out. As for increasing distance, that all depends on how you feel, your body will tell you when your overdoing it. There are plenty of other ways to get better cardio than just running longer, such as sprints, and other explosive exercises.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be much more beneficial if you cut your two sessions of 6 miles in half and running 3 miles 4 times a week, just spread it out. As for increasing distance, that all depends on how you feel, your body will tell you when your overdoing it. There are plenty of other ways to get better cardio than just running longer, such as sprints, and other explosive exercises.
i would do that but i cant because i dont have time to run 4 times a week, i mean i do but if i ran and did my boxing in the same day i would be over training. im just gonna stick to running 5 miles twice a week, thanks

·
Registered
841 Posts
Fair enough, although I don't agree that you think you would be over-training. What speed do you do your treadmill runs on? Maybe run less but much faster...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fair enough, although I don't agree that you think you would be over-training. What speed do you do your treadmill runs on? Maybe run less but much faster...
i run on speed 6 with no incline.. and sprint 5 or 6 times on speed 8 throughout the workout

·
Premium Member
9,662 Posts
I would try what NSB suggested. That is what the majority of the most conditioned fighters did. Get up early for a run, go back to bed, get up in time for work, then after work go train.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would try what NSB suggested. That is what the majority of the most conditioned fighters did. Get up early for a run, go back to bed, get up in time for work, then after work go train.
I'll give it a try, are you sure that it wont effect my training at all?

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
It wont at all..i jog all the time before i box. It's good to get your heart pumping anyway. Don't worry about it messing up your workout. Running will not get you sore unless you're overweight and very unhealthy. Running is just for cardio don't worry about it affecting your workout cause it wont. The only affect is better stamina.

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
are you in an area where you can run outside? If so, you'll gain more from your runs as running on grass, different elevations (hills) works you much harder.

The treadmill is good too, but actual road work is more beneficial.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
...Running will not get you sore unless you're overweight and very unhealthy. Running is just for cardio don't worry about it affecting your workout cause it wont. The only affect is better stamina.
:finger:
Nice generalization there buddy.
I swim on a competitive team every morning; but can't do road work because of leg problems that I've had since before I was even born (club foot).
Way to paint everyone who doesn't worship almighty jogging as worthless and out of shape.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
huh? wtf? Read over and stop being a little girl. Go swim like a mermaid and stop being dumb i never said anything offesnive on that. I told him don't worry about it affecting his workout and if he's like literally obese than thats the only way he may be sore....

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
huh? wtf? Read over and stop being a little girl. Go swim like a mermaid and stop being dumb i never said anything offesnive on that. I told him don't worry about it affecting his workout and if he's like literally obese than thats the only way he may be sore....
I read what you said and I take issue with the idea that the only people who get sore from running are obese people.
Not everyone's built for running.EDIT: on a daily basis; he may have trouble walking/training with any amount of running so he tries to do it all in one day.

And what's with the "mermaid" sh!t?
Swimming and boxing goes back to Dempsey and continues today with Baby Bull Diaz.
Guess you're one of them dudes who can't....

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Na actually i'm a great swimmer buddy. Been swimming since i was like 6. I'm saying stop crying because i said that. I don't know anything about club feet what do i look like to you a doctor? I doubt most people never even heard of it. Sorry i said yo uhahve to be obese to get sore from running. Want me to add Club feet to that so you don't cry anymore? It's called advice. Obviously he didn't say he had any feet complications so i had no need to add that nor did i think about that cause its rare.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Being overweight and unhealthy while running will ofcourse make people more sore. Not a generalization, common knowledge. It's no one's fault someone is fat, or that they have club feet, I'd say your a bit out of line for taking offense since this is in fact a BOXING forum and 95% of its members are in tip top shape, what do you expect man.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
I'll cop to being sensitive about the topic.
It's a topic that's come up at every gym I've ever trained at with every trainer I've ever worked with.
It's a battle I have to fight all the time; so I take comments like that personally.
Here's some info as an FYI for something that affects 3 out of every 1000 born:

Clubfoot - MayoClinic.com
Clubfoot: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com
Clubfoot: Complications - MayoClinic.com
Clubfoot: Treatments and drugs - MayoClinic.com

Club foot or not, there are plenty of fighters that don't run or don't run more than a couple times a week.
Jogging puts a ton of wear and tear on your joints and some people just aren't built for it.
Marciano may have run 10 miles on Christmas day in heavy boots, but he also retired early from a bad back.
Some people's bodies don't hold up well with the strain from jogging; so if this kid says he'll be laid up from running more than once a week - i tend to believe him. He'd probably be better off jumping rope, doing the elliptical crosstrainer, swimming, or riding a bike.

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
Being overweight and unhealthy while running will ofcourse make people more sore. Not a generalization, common knowledge. It's no one's fault your fat, or that you have club feet(whatever that is), I'd say your a bit out of line for taking offense since this is in fact a BOXING forum and 95% of its members are in tip top shape, what do you expect man.
I take offense to the fact that he said the kid will ONLY be sore if the kid's obese and that's just patently false. Club foot or not, there are plenty of in-shape people who can't handle regular jogging for whatever reason.
Jogging isn't the only option; and in my opinion it's not even the best option.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think he was referring to being to busy for multiple sessions of running on the tread not because of a disability. My point was that its not brooklyn's nor anyone else's fault for your misfortune, which by the way i'm sorry for but you have to be careful about imposing your personal probs on other people who had nothing to do with it, but you know it really could be much worse.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Obesity will take it's toll on the body having to do with anything related to cardiovascular exercise running or not I don't care what you say thats the plain and simple truth. And when your looking at two people about to run, you see one proportionate, healthy looking person, and one fat overweight person already sweating your already going to come to the conclusion that the fat dude is going to hurt after the run way more than the healthy guy, its human nature to think like that, and its a generalization your not going to be able to change.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol i never said im obese or out of shape, im actually in great shape. I just said i dont want to run and train in the same day because i might get too tired and not train as well as i usually do.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts