Votes: 9 100.0%
  • Skelton

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
WBA heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev had some problems with tough challenger Matt Skelton, showing his nine month layoff since winning the belt, but succeeded with a twelve round unanimous decision to defend his championship for the first time. The bout started at a fast pace with Skelton being the aggressor. He was able to get into the infight more than once and unleashed two good uppercuts. Chagaev got some good work with his southpaw jab done but his challenger was more aggressive and effective in the opening stanza, which ended with a nice exchange.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The sold-out crowd of 4,500 was ecstatic as Chagaev opened up a bit in the second. Both fighters got some clear shots in, first Skelton with a left-right combination, than Chagaev with a big straight left, the best punch of the night so far. The first part of the third round was won by Skelton, as he had some success with punches at the inside, especially with his uppercut. However, Chagaev became more active during the final minute of the third, landing some good right hooks on the challenger. The 29-year-old Chagaev upped his pace in the fourth and landed various good shots to the body and the head of a more defensive-minded Skelton. It was the WBA champion's best round so far. Chagaev continued his assault in the fifth, scoring with effective straight lefts and counter hooks on the inside. Although Skelton got some work done with his uppercut, it looked like Chagaev was finally taking over.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Englishman tried to work himself back into the fight in the sixth as he started very aggressively, pushing Chagaev around and working him on the inside. Chagaev came back himself and landed some clear and hard shots to Skelton's head. Skelton scored good with his inside work in a very close round. Both fighters showed a great chin and heart, as they both had to take some vicious shots. Round seven did not see too many good shots, as both wrestled most of the time. On the inside, it was Skelton who did good work, especially with his uppercut, although Chagaev was always dangerous with his counter hooks. On the outside, the champion was in control, throwing and landing his left hand. Skelton was issued a warning in the eight because of repeated holding and hitting, later in the round he was deducted a point for the same foul.
Chagaev was finally able to free himself of the holding by Skelton again in the ninth, as had good some crisp left and right hands in and even stunned the challenger for the first time in the fight just seconds before the bell. Chagaev started well into round ten, as he trapped Skelton at the ropes and stunned him with a hard combination. Shortly afterwards, however, the 40-year-old challenger came back and got on the inside. Skelton did not have any success this time, as Chagaev caught him coming in and won the round clearly.
It was a close, hard-fought battle going into the championship rounds. Chagaev had a good eleventh, although no meaningful contact was made. The twelfth and final round was a good one, as both fighters threw their shots with bad intentions, looking for a possible knockout. Neither of them was very effective, however and so the fight went the distance. Both fighters celebrated in the ring, awaiting the decision. After a short while, the judges verdict was announced. They were in agreement, scoring it 117-110 and 117-111 twice for Chagaev. Making the first defense of his title, Chagaev stays unbeaten and moves to 24-0 with one draw. Skelton gave a really tough effort but at the end, he was never close to winning. He falls to 21-2.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chageav wins via WIDE UD. Skelton has a good chin but no way can he beat Chag.
i just cant beleive frank got him a title shot. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Hahaha good one tom, yeah but really they just had to find some warm up fight for Chagaev and since Skelton has some british fans, i think this fight makes perfect sense, Chagaev by UD.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Skelton is very strong & a good chin,but the sad part i dont think he be quick enough in this one.Chageav wins this for me 2 by UD.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
Hahaha good one tom, yeah but really they just had to find some warm up fight for Chagaev and since Skelton has some british fans, i think this fight makes perfect sense, Chagaev by UD.
Agreed, its an relatively easy tune-up and for decent money with the UK TV money, makes sense:thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
skelton cures insomnia.

in his last 2 fights he's held onto williams and sprott for a combined total of 24 rounds.

i hope chagaev does a number on him!

i hope i never have to suffer watching sprott,skelton,audley,williams ever again. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
skelton cures insomnia.

in his last 2 fights he's held onto williams and sprott for a combined total of 24 rounds.

i hope chagaev does a number on him!

i hope i never have to suffer watching sprott,skelton,audley,williams ever again. :laugh:
If needs be Haye can knock them all out:laugh: I bet he could KO all 3 on the same night lol

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Setanta have the rights to this fight :thumbsup:
Thanks Hayemaker, i knew that, god knows what i was thinking listing it as sky. :laugh:

Ive adited the title dude. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WBA heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev had some problems with tough challenger Matt Skelton, showing his nine month layoff since winning the belt, but succeeded with a twelve round unanimous decision to defend his championship for the first time. The bout started at a fast pace with Skelton being the aggressor. He was able to get into the infight more than once and unleashed two good uppercuts. Chagaev got some good work with his southpaw jab done but his challenger was more aggressive and effective in the opening stanza, which ended with a nice exchange.

The sold-out crowd of 4,500 was ecstatic as Chagaev opened up a bit in the second. Both fighters got some clear shots in, first Skelton with a left-right combination, than Chagaev with a big straight left, the best punch of the night so far. The first part of the third round was won by Skelton, as he had some success with punches at the inside, especially with his uppercut. However, Chagaev became more active during the final minute of the third, landing some good right hooks on the challenger. The 29-year-old Chagaev upped his pace in the fourth and landed various good shots to the body and the head of a more defensive-minded Skelton. It was the WBA champion's best round so far. Chagaev continued his assault in the fifth, scoring with effective straight lefts and counter hooks on the inside. Although Skelton got some work done with his uppercut, it looked like Chagaev was finally taking over.
The Englishman tried to work himself back into the fight in the sixth as he started very aggressively, pushing Chagaev around and working him on the inside. Chagaev came back himself and landed some clear and hard shots to Skelton's head. Skelton scored good with his inside work in a very close round. Both fighters showed a great chin and heart, as they both had to take some vicious shots. Round seven did not see too many good shots, as both wrestled most of the time. On the inside, it was Skelton who did good work, especially with his uppercut, although Chagaev was always dangerous with his counter hooks. On the outside, the champion was in control, throwing and landing his left hand. Skelton was issued a warning in the eight because of repeated holding and hitting, later in the round he was deducted a point for the same foul.
Chagaev was finally able to free himself of the holding by Skelton again in the ninth, as had good some crisp left and right hands in and even stunned the challenger for the first time in the fight just seconds before the bell. Chagaev started well into round ten, as he trapped Skelton at the ropes and stunned him with a hard combination. Shortly afterwards, however, the 40-year-old challenger came back and got on the inside. Skelton did not have any success this time, as Chagaev caught him coming in and won the round clearly.
It was a close, hard-fought battle going into the championship rounds. Chagaev had a good eleventh, although no meaningful contact was made. The twelfth and final round was a good one, as both fighters threw their shots with bad intentions, looking for a possible knockout. Neither of them was very effective, however and so the fight went the distance. Both fighters celebrated in the ring, awaiting the decision. After a short while, the judges verdict was announced. They were in agreement, scoring it 117-110 and 117-111 twice for Chagaev. Making the first defense of his title, Chagaev stays unbeaten and moves to 24-0 with one draw. Skelton gave a really tough effort but at the end, he was never close to winning. He falls to 21-2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts