Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sacramento Fury: Bautista vs. Ponce de Leon :thumbsup:

By Ted Sares

Sudden fury it was as Daniel Ponce De Leon (31-1-with 28 KOs), took out undefeated Rey "Boom-Boom" Bautista (23 -0 -with 17 KOs) with a brutal left handed mugging in the first round saving the night for Mexican fans.

I had hoped this might have the potential of being another Meza-Garza, Benn-Barkley or Marquez-Vazquez type shootout, but there was no shootout here. Just a show of all-out violence on the part of Ponce de Leon. It was more like a Brewster-Golata or Lewis-Ruddock type fight and it was a shocker in its one-sided and quick ending.

Ponce de Leon affirmed the fact he is a rugged power puncher (88% KO ratio) known for an incredible work rate and great stamina, but he did not need it tonight, as his physical strength allowed him to swarm Boom Boom and take him out in decisive manner.

The De Leon camp may have taken Gerry Penalosa too lightly in their last outing, but they were ready on this night of malice aforethought in Sacramento. .

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
i said after boom boom fought on the floyd-oscar undercard he was 2 years away from a title shot, he was stunned against a relitive unknowan in that fight and if not for some generous refing he could have been ko'd then, he has the game going forward and looks awesome doing so but he's still a kid and has to learn his trade like everyone else. rey will be back though, he's young enough to learn from this and i fully expect him to be a future champion.

welcome back ted. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
what a cracker right on the chin :laugh: but he will be back and win a world title

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am starting to see an inverse trend of Mexican fighters getting iced by liver shots. De La Hoya, Castillo and now Gonzales. HHHhhmmm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts