Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from ESPN.COM boxing writer Dan Rafael's latest blog and he raises a very good question that I've been wondering about for a while now...

Although neither Ricky Hatton's victory against Juan Lazcano nor Paulie Malignaggi's win against Lovemore N'Dou last week were classic fights, wasn't it great to watch a live championship card on a Saturday afternoon? One thing I find myself wondering, however, is this: Why do cards like that one cost HBO millions of dollars, yet Versus was able to buy this doubleheader for low six-figures?

·
Mental Midget
4,170 Posts
Because 1) Hatton Lazcano isnt a big draw
2) Malignaggi N'Dou isnt a big draw
3) VS has no money while HBO is a cash cow

It is nice to see an afternoon televised fight though. The national networks (NBC/ABC/CBS) need to get on board...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because 1) Hatton Lazcano isnt a big draw
2) Malignaggi N'Dou isnt a big draw
3) VS has no money while HBO is a cash cow
Hatton/Lazcano was a big draw. Over 55,000 attended. We're talking tv, though, so I'm going to assume you're strictly referring to the ratings. Yes, HBO has more money to spend than VS, but I don't think that really answers the question. Because they have more, they're going to spend more, and in turn end up losing more? Bad business. I haven't heard anything on how the Hatton fight did ratings-wise, but for Hopkins/Calzaghe and De La Hoya/Forbes HBO spent a ton and both fights garnered pretty poor viewership for the amount of money invested in them.

·
El Violento
8,076 Posts
Hatton/Lazcano was a big draw. Over 55,000 attended. We're talking tv, though, so I'm going to assume you're strictly referring to the ratings. Yes, HBO has more money to spend than VS, but I don't think that really answers the question. Because they have more, they're going to spend more, and in turn end up losing more? Bad business. I haven't heard anything on how the Hatton fight did ratings-wise, but for Hopkins/Calzaghe and De La Hoya/Forbes HBO spent a ton and both fights garnered pretty poor viewership for the amount of money invested in them.
From what I heard De La Hoya-Forbes did great in the ratings. No surprise. Oscar always attracts the viewers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts