Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chelsea have named Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari as their new manager in succession to Avram Grant.

Scolari, who is currently in charge of the Portuguese side at Euro 2008, will take over at Stamford Bridge on 1 July.

"Felipe has great qualities. He is one of the world's top coaches with a record of success at country and club level," Chelsea said in a statement.

Carlo Ancelotti, Mark Hughes and Roberto Mancini had also been linked with the job.

Chelsea added: "He gets the best out of a talented squad of players and his ambitions and expectations match ours. He was the outstanding choice.

"Out of respect for his current role and to ensure minimum disruption to this work there will be no further comment from Chelsea nor from Felipe about his new role until his employment with us commences."

Scolari, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002 before leading Portugal to the final of Euro 2004, was believed to be in the running to become England manager in 2006.

He was reportedly put off the job because of fears of media intrusion, but, with his contract with the Portuguese FA due to expire on 29 June, he has taken the opportunity to try his hand at management in the Premier League.

Chelsea parted company with Grant last month, despite the Israeli taking his team to the Champions League final and second spot in the Premier League.

And former Blues player Gavin Peacock believes Scolari could be the man to take Chelsea to the top of European football, despite not having managed a club in Europe before.

"You can't argue with his record," Peacock told BBC Sport. "If you're looking for someone with charisma and presence in the dressing room, then he is your man.

"His teams play with flair so it fits in with what Chelsea say they have been looking for, but the everyday involvement, getting into the players minds is going to take time.

"I suspected that Scolari might be lined up when Chelsea signed Jose Bosingwa at the start of the summer and there was talk of Deco coming to the club."

However, he warned Scolari's lack of English could make things difficult for the Brazilian.

"My only question mark would be about his level of English. Does he speak it?" asked Peacock.

"Someone like the England manager Fabio Capello didn't speak it but he had time to learn and he has time between each England gathering, but Scolari will need to get his ideas across every day. It will be a challenge.

"As another example, (former Chelsea boss) Jose Mourinho, on his first trip away with the team for a pre-season friendly in the United States, sat on the plane with Joe Cole for two hours just getting to know him.

"Scolari will not be able to do that sort of thing."

G

·
That's why that **** has been advising Ronaldo to move to Real Madrid!!
and its good advice aswell:laugh: COuldnt give a feck about chelsea ,arsenal with 1 or 2 more singing will be champions again next season.

Big Phil is a quality international manager, will be interesting to see how he does at a big club.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think Big Phil is an OUTSTANDING choice. I was gutted when England didn't appoint him. I still think that he's the best choice even now we've got Capello. And hopefully Big Phil can get Ronaldo out of the Premier League. I can't stand him :D

G

·
and its good advice aswell:laugh: COuldnt give a feck about chelsea ,arsenal with 1 or 2 more singing will be champions again next season.

Big Phil is a quality international manager, will be interesting to see how he does at a big club.
Arsenal were unlucky this season but I always knew they were going to fold. The Birmingham game was when it all went down hill. All the young players have a years more experience now and they'll be a threat next season but I still see Utd winning the league. :D Losing Flamini and possibly Hleb is a massive blow to an already stretched squad. Wenger will need to sign big to compete.

G

·
Arsenal were unlucky this season but I always knew they were going to fold. The Birmingham game was when it all went down hill. All the young players have a years more experience now and they'll be a threat next season but I still see Utd winning the league. :D Losing Flamini and possibly Hleb is a massive blow to an already stretched squad. Wenger will need to sign big to compete.
both are very replaceable, very replaceable tbh. Hleb should score more, win more pens and do more in and around the box.Flammini wouldnt of been missed until this season, he was very good but replacable.Denilson could fill his shoes next season so could diaby.

Anyway, the Hoops won 3 in a row, we going for 4. Your mighty gers are resigning Kenny Miller, Celtic reject:laugh:

:thumbsup:;)

G

·
both are very replaceable, very replaceable tbh. Hleb should score more, win more pens and do more in and around the box.Flammini wouldnt of been missed until this season, he was very good but replacable.Denilson could fill his shoes next season so could diaby.

Anyway, the Hoops won 3 in a row, we going for 4. Your mighty gers are resigning Kenny Miller, Celtic reject:laugh:

:thumbsup:
Flamini was the best in the league at the holding role. He's not going to be easy to replace. Hleb should score more but he brings alot to Arsenal in the fluent stye they play. Denilson and Diaby are quality but you need to sign 4 players at least if Hleb goes otherwise they can't compete for the Champion's League and Premiership. You've got alot of quality but not enough depth.

LMAO @ Kenny Miller. And Celtic were gifted the title by the Scottish FA. We had to play 7 games in 21 days which is what cost us effectively. Still 2 cups,a Uefa Cup runners up and league runners up ain't bad. :D:thumbsup:

G

·
Flamini was the best in the league at the holding role. He's not going to be easy to replace. Hleb should score more but he brings alot to Arsenal in the fluent stye they play. Denilson and Diaby are quality but you need to sign 4 players at least if Hleb goes otherwise they can't compete for the Champion's League and Premiership. You've got alot of quality but not enough depth.

LMAO @ Kenny Miller. And Celtic were gifted the title by the Scottish FA. We had to play 7 games in 21 days which is what cost us effectively. Still 2 cups,a Uefa Cup runners up and league runners up ain't bad. :D:thumbsup:
i dont disagree that Flammini was quality last season, i do honestly think he is replacable though and is in no way worth the money he wanted on 1 seasons showing, i would rather that money was given to keep Cesc at the club. he signed for milan for the money they aint even in the champions league, totally about the money.Hleb is quality but again, he has his failings, i think hes class but can be replaced and if he aint happy good luck to him.

HAHAHAHAHA now one remembers second place, we finished second and runners up in the UEFa cup years ago(we actually played football in europe that year, not 10 men behind the ball)The only reason you had to play so many games is for cancelling mickey mouse games like the gretna one to prepare yourselves for the Lyon game(which you lost 3-0 at hom lol), i didnt ever see he SPL doing celtic ANY favours.
ah fukk it, 3 in a row:laugh:

:thumbsup:

G

·
You were about 12 points behind us with not alot of games left! The SPL handed you the title on a plate! Celtic never had to play that many IMPORTANT games in such a short space of time. It was a joke!

You're right thouh, second place means nothing...I'm sure you remembered the feeling 9 YEARS IN A ROW!! :laugh::laugh::thumbsup:

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
Chelsea have named Portugal boss Luiz Felipe Scolari as their new manager in succession to Avram Grant.

Scolari, who is currently in charge of the Portuguese side at Euro 2008, will take over at Stamford Bridge on 1 July.

"Felipe has great qualities. He is one of the world's top coaches with a record of success at country and club level," Chelsea said in a statement.

Carlo Ancelotti, Mark Hughes and Roberto Mancini had also been linked with the job.

Chelsea added: "He gets the best out of a talented squad of players and his ambitions and expectations match ours. He was the outstanding choice.

"Out of respect for his current role and to ensure minimum disruption to this work there will be no further comment from Chelsea nor from Felipe about his new role until his employment with us commences."

Scolari, who won the World Cup with Brazil in 2002 before leading Portugal to the final of Euro 2004, was believed to be in the running to become England manager in 2006.

He was reportedly put off the job because of fears of media intrusion, but, with his contract with the Portuguese FA due to expire on 29 June, he has taken the opportunity to try his hand at management in the Premier League.

Chelsea parted company with Grant last month, despite the Israeli taking his team to the Champions League final and second spot in the Premier League.

And former Blues player Gavin Peacock believes Scolari could be the man to take Chelsea to the top of European football, despite not having managed a club in Europe before.

"You can't argue with his record," Peacock told BBC Sport. "If you're looking for someone with charisma and presence in the dressing room, then he is your man.

"His teams play with flair so it fits in with what Chelsea say they have been looking for, but the everyday involvement, getting into the players minds is going to take time.

"I suspected that Scolari might be lined up when Chelsea signed Jose Bosingwa at the start of the summer and there was talk of Deco coming to the club."

However, he warned Scolari's lack of English could make things difficult for the Brazilian.

"My only question mark would be about his level of English. Does he speak it?" asked Peacock.

"Someone like the England manager Fabio Capello didn't speak it but he had time to learn and he has time between each England gathering, but Scolari will need to get his ideas across every day. It will be a challenge.

"As another example, (former Chelsea boss) Jose Mourinho, on his first trip away with the team for a pre-season friendly in the United States, sat on the plane with Joe Cole for two hours just getting to know him.

"Scolari will not be able to do that sort of thing."
The England manager cant speak ENGLISH!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang no wonder they cant win anything. Whatever are these folks thinking when they hire people like this

Its nice to see Tottenham Hotspurs B team ( Chelsea) get a new manager though ;) LOL just kiddin NNFC

G

·
You were about 12 points behind us with not alot of games left! The SPL handed you the title on a plate! Celtic never had to play that many IMPORTANT games in such a short space of time. It was a joke!

You're right thouh, second place means nothing...I'm sure you remembered the feeling 9 YEARS IN A ROW!!:thumbsup:
we done what we had to do, win all the games left. not our fault wattie doesnt know any formation other than 4-5-1, anti football indeed. Eh the year we got to Seville we were also going for the title which we lost on goals scored, the SPL did nothing for us.

I sure do remember 9 in a row, but ill never forget 1 in a row either to stop the 10:laugh:

were going for 4 now, rangers are broke, selling their better players off, replacing them with kirk broadfoot hahaha.you blew your 1 good chance at the title for the next few years:thumbsup:

G

·
we done what we had to do, win all the games left. not our fault wattie doesnt know any formation other than 4-5-1, anti football indeed. Eh the year we got to Seville we were also going for the title which we lost on goals scored, the SPL did nothing for us.

I sure do remember 9 in a row, but ill never forget 1 in a row either to stop the 10:laugh:

were going for 4 now, rangers are broke, selling their better players off, replacing them with kirk broadfoot hahaha.you blew your 1 good chance at the title for the next few years:thumbsup:
Smith is a good manager. He's making the best of a bad situation. He's had fuk all money to spend and he has to make do with the players he has. That's why we play a defensive formation. I think we're signing Steven Davis on a permanent transfer which is good. Apart from that we're skint. We'll still be in with a good chance to win the league though. Being too good this year was our downfall because we had to play so many games. :thumbsup: You know we would have been champions if we weren't going for 4 trophies :D

G

·
Smith is a good manager. He's making the best of a bad situation. He's had fuk all money to spend and he has to make do with the players he has. That's why we play a defensive formation. I think we're signing Steven Davis on a permanent transfer which is good. Apart from that we're skint. We'll still be in with a good chance to win the league though. Being too good this year was our downfall because we had to play so many games. :thumbsup: You know we would have been champions if we weren't going for 4 trophies :D
:laugh: the famous,unprecidented quadruple, how did that story finish by the way:laugh:

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
This is a good appointment for Chelsea. Drogba, Carvalho & Lampard are talking about going, it should be interesting to see who they replace them with. IMO if they got David Villa & Deco they would be an improvement on Lampard/Drogba.

·
Registered
772 Posts
yeah, this is a great news for the mighty blues, scolari is a great manager, won many cups in the brazilian leagues, won the 2002 world cup with brazil and took protugal to the 2004 euro final, it will be good to see who chelsea sign next season now, deco and david villa seem like a good choice, but i'd love to see kaka in the english league.

with essien and deco/kaka chelsea midfield will be unstoppable.

·
Registered
7,505 Posts
I don't think Milan are selling Kaka. There was talk on Sky Sports News of Ronaldinho, Scolari is supposedly a big fan since he worked with him at the 2002 world cup. I think Deco could go to Chelsea, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mourinho convinced him to go to Inter instead. Villa would be a great signing, i don't think anyone else in the Premier League can afford him aside from Man Utd & Chelsea, and Man Utd are awesome up front already.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I don't think Milan are selling Kaka. There was talk on Sky Sports News of Ronaldinho, Scolari is supposedly a big fan since he worked with him at the 2002 world cup. I think Deco could go to Chelsea, but it wouldn't surprise me if Mourinho convinced him to go to Inter instead. Villa would be a great signing, i don't think anyone else in the Premier League can afford him aside from Man Utd & Chelsea, and Man Utd are awesome up front already.
yeah your right, chelsea signing david villa would be a great signing, especially as our forwards are our weakest link in our team,

Anelka (never rated him)
Drogba (possibly the best forward in the game atm when he's on form but is very inconsistent, and will probably go to inter milan anyway)
Kalou (still very young but has alot of potential)

if we were to buy david villa, i hope scolari realises he needs to be played along side another striker, he's not the sort of striker, that plays upfront alone.

i wouldn't be surprised if chelsea made an offer for kaka but its all down to whether he would like to move to the london side.

deco, is most likely the player that would comew to chelsea especially as he's in the portugese side with scolari as we speak.

next season will be very entertaining!:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts