Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I saw this fight I remember thinking something may be up, but wow. This is crazy.

By Mark Vester

In a shocking story, Sergio Medina, who appeared as if he didn't really want to be in the ring with Juan Manuel Lopez during their WBO super bantamweight fight on the undercard to De La Hoya-Pacquiao from last Saturday in Las Vegas, has come out with shocking claims. During a radio interview with FM Aries, Medina made claims that his life was threatened during the weigh-in for the Lopez fight, which in turn forced him to take a dive in the first round. The story has been picked up overseas, including El Nuevo Dia, one of the largest media outlets in Puerto Rico. Medina alleges the threats came from people with Lopez, but also threw accusations all around.

"During the weigh-in they told me that if I didn't throw the fight in the first round, I wouldn't leave the United States alive," Medina said. "What hurts me more is that I was prepared for twelve rounds, but I had to throw the fight because I felt a lot of fear. I was nervous before the fight and did not want to fight. It is known that there was a certain amount of money being paid out if Juanma stopped me in the first round. I swear on my daughters that what I say is completely certain. They threatened me so I threw the fight."

No word if the Nevada State Athletic Commission will get involved to investigate the matter or go after Medina for taking a dive. It's going to be hard for Medina to back up the claims he's making. It's his story against the story of others.

G

·
Wow, I knew that was a dive. That is nuts.

There is absolutely no reason for him to make a story like that up. What does boxing do with records in circumstances like this?

·
Premium Member
25,820 Posts
Wow, I knew that was a dive. That is nuts.

There is absolutely no reason for him to make a story like that up. What does boxing do with records in circumstances like this?
Yep there is. When fighters get stopped in the 1st round they usually have plenty of excuses.
However he did go down several times without being hurt. Lopez barely made contact and Medina looked like he threw the fight. It wasn't the same Medina that fought Bautista so there was definitely something wrong.

G

·
Yep there is. When fighters get stopped in the 1st round they usually have plenty of excuses.
However he did go down several times without being hurt. Lopez barely made contact and Medina looked like he threw the fight. It wasn't the same Medina that fought Bautista so there was definitely something wrong.
The keywords are "story like this". I don't remember too many guys making excuses such as "someone threatened my life so I threw the fight". If you're trying to make up an excuse I'd say "I was sick" or "I was hurt" seem to be easier to use.

I mean Medina was 33-1 and a legit contender. He didn't get hit flush by any real power punches. I was watching it with a bunch of people and we all thought it was a dive, for one reason or another.

G

·
This story has bullshitt written all over it. :laugh:

Medina was scared of Lopez' power and didn't take the fight seriously, look at the amount of weight he re-hydrated to. This is just a cover up story because he's embarrassed that he bitched out and didn't go out on his shield.

·
Iron Lungs
3,315 Posts
Medinas' agent says his story is false

By Rick Reeno

In a story causing some major headlines overseas, especially in Puerto Rico, Argentinean fighter Sergio Medina, during a radio interview with hometown station FM Aires, claimed that he received death threats during the weigh-in for last Saturday’s Las Vegas clash with WBO super bantamweight champion Juan Manuel Lopez. The fight took place on the HBO pay-per-view undercard to De La Hoya-Pacquiao at the MGM Grand.

Medina not only accused Team Lopez, he also accused the actual sanctioning body, the WBO, of threatening his life and ordering him to take a dive in the first round.

"During the weigh-in they told me that if I didn't throw the fight in the first round, I wouldn't leave the United States alive," Medina said. "What hurts me more is that I was prepared for twelve rounds, but I had to throw the fight because I felt a lot of fear. I was nervous before the fight and did not want to fight. It is known that there was a certain amount of money being paid out if Juanma stopped me in the first round. I swear on my daughters that what I say is completely certain. They threatened me so I threw the fight."

When contacted for comment, Sampson Lewkowicz, Medina’s agent in the United States, was fully aware of the story and said he was “sick to his stomach” with the serious accusations that Medina was throwing around.

Lewkowicz strongly denied his fighter’s story and wanted to clear the air on everything that went on before and during the actual weigh-in.

“When he got his first opportunity to fight Rey “Boom Boom” Bautista and lost, he thanked me for the opportunity and asked me to get him another opportunity. He earned his next opportunity that was given to him by the WBO [to fight Lopez],” Lewkowicz said.

“When he came to America, to Las Vegas, - I personally picked him up and took him to the hotel. I normally don’t do that, but I thought this kid was very emotional and I treated him like my child. I never spent so much time with a fighter, but he is very emotional and thankful and I couldn’t resist being with him. Before the weigh-in, he was already worried about being overweight. We weighed him and I think it was a half pound over. I told him don’t worry about it. My own son went and bought him chewing guy and his father took him for a long walk and he spit. He went on the scale at the official weigh-in and made 122-pounds.”

“I was next to him at the time of the weigh-in and his father [Manuel Medina] was next to him. Nobody and I mean absolutely nobody said anything to him. Nobody was aggressive towards him as some people are during weigh-ins. Team Lopez was very professional. Nobody on the team talked to him and the only thing I heard was the WBO supervisor wishing both fighters good luck in Spanish.”

Lewkowicz believes his fighter might be suffering from some form of a mental sickness. It’s the only explanation that he can rationalize for Medina making such wild accusations. Lewkowicz plans to head out to Argentina and demand that the local commission suspended Medina’s boxing license to conduct a thorough medical examination to determine if the fighter is mentally stable.

“I don’t accuse Sergio Medina as being a liar. What he says is too big to be called a lie. I accuse him of most likely having a sickness. Besides him losing his hearth on the first punch [of Lopez], I think the man is sick. The only thing in his favor is that he is a hero in his hometown of Buenos Aires and I think the reporter who first interviewed him, asked him if he was threatened and that opened the door for him to create that story,” Lewkowicz said.

“On Monday I will be in Argentina to clarify the situation and will ask for a full investigation of the person who interested him and ask for the commission of Buenos Aires to suspend Medina to evaluate his state of mind. He needs to be checked by a doctor to see if there is anything wrong with the kid. I can guarantee to you, my personal guarantee, that the WBO wished him nothing but good luck, that was all, and the second thing – Team Lopez conducted themselves in a very professional manner. There was absolutely no conversation whatsoever and I was between both of them.”

“I expect that Sergio Medina will apologize to everyone involved and this will close the scenario forever and then he should retire. He committed [career] suicide with this story. Maybe he would have gotten another shot in the future, but not anymore. Not after something like this. He should retire.”

Boxingscene.

G

·
It was obvious this story was a fake even though it's a pretty extreme excuse. The piece of shitt went as far as swearing on his daughters lives. Now I wish Lopez had landed flush on this c*nt.

G

·
Wow, the guy must be a real idiot. There are millions of excuses he could have used and he picked the one that will bring an investigation down on him. What a fool. I still think there was sumthin up with that phantam KO (IMO) tho....

“I don’t accuse Sergio Medina as being a liar. What he says is too big to be called a lie. I accuse him of most likely having a sickness. Besides him losing his hearth on the first punch [of Lopez], I think the man is sick. The only thing in his favor is that he is a hero in his hometown of Buenos Aires and I think the reporter who first interviewed him, asked him if he was threatened and that opened the door for him to create that story,” Lewkowicz said.

That's the key paragraph right there.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My first thought seeing the fight were "Why is his first strategy getting on the ropes against Lopez, thats just dumb". It was kind of weird, either he was **** scared or one of those body punches really hurt him. Any way I think Juanma wouldve beaten him in any possible situation. If what he says is true I'm sure Lopez and his people didn't have anything to do with it. They didn't have to.

·
Calvarez
7,453 Posts
Was never convinced of this story, but it did seem a little odd to watch at the time.

·
Boxings Own Living Legend
8,579 Posts
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP)—Sergio Medina said he was lying when he claimed death threats forced him to throw his WBO super bantamweight title bout against Juan Manuel Lopez last week.

“I lied, now I ask forgiveness. I think my career has ended,” said Medina, whose loss Saturday to Lopez in Las Vegas was his second defeat in 35 fights. “He knocked me out well. With my hand on my heart, he beat me. I have to decide if I want to continue or not.”

Lopez knocked out Medina in the first round. Medina later said he had received death threats, forcing him to lose in the first round. He said the threats were from “the organization and my rival.”

In the wake of his son’s admission, coach Manuel Medina told Argentine sports daily Ole on Thursday: “I’m embarrassed by what my son said, as a father and coach.”

He fabricated it

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not certain enough to say I do or I don't think he through it, but I will say that there were 14 of us @ my Daddy's house for the fight and EVERYONE OF US thought it looked very suspect. This is very sad and shameful if accurate. But let us all be honest with ourselves, this sport has always been more crooked than a dog's hind leg. And please believe I hate sayin' that, but boxing's history is just littered with incidents like this. Still my favorite sport though, and I don't foresee that changin' anytime soon.:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts