·
Administrator
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shannon Briggs vs. Sultan Ibragimov
WBO Heavyweight Championship

Saturday, March 10 2007
Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

New York, January 09 — It’s the first heavyweight championship fight of 2007, and on Saturday night, March 10th, at Madison Square Garden’s Theater in New York City, Sultan Ibragimov hopes to take his first step towards becoming the sport’s next great heavyweight when he challenges hometown hero and champion Shannon Briggs for the WBO Heavyweight Championship of The World. HBO will televise this high-impact 12 round showdown - which is presented by Seminole Warriors Boxing Promotions, Golden Boy Promotions, and Golden Grain, in association with Madison Square Garden – live beginning at 10pm ET / on delay 10pm PT..
“Sultan Ibragimov has long been seen as the future of the heavyweight division, and we’re pleased to finally announce that the future is here,” said Leon Margules, Executive Director of Seminole Warriors Boxing Promotions. “And I can’t think of a better place to crown a new champion than in the Garden, where legends like Muhammad Ali, Joe Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, and Rocky Marciano all thrilled fight fans.”
“Sultan Ibragimov is an exciting young fighter and he’s earned his title shot,” said Briggs, “but there’s no way I’m giving up my belt, and absolutely no chance of me losing in front of my hometown fans. I’m here to stay, and Ibragimov’s gonna have to chase after another belt, because he’s not getting mine.”
Said Ibragimov, “The road to get here wasn’t easy and I made a lot of sacrifices, but on March 10th I expect that all my hard work will pay off when I get to put the WBO heavyweight championship belt around my waist.”
Tickets, priced at $1005, $605, $355, $205, $105, $80 and they go on sale Friday, January 12, 2007 at 9:00 a.m. at all Ticketmaster locations and the Madison Square Garden box office.
More here HERE

·
Registered
290 Posts
Good to know that it's televised in the US. Is anyone expecting the same thing as in Liakhovich v. Briggs? Ibragimov doesn't pack a lot of punch for a heavyweight, but I think he still has more power than Liakhovich. Will it be enough to win?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Slon said:
Good to know that it's televised in the US. Is anyone expecting the same thing as in Liakhovich v. Briggs? Ibragimov doesn't pack a lot of punch for a heavyweight, but I think he still has more power than Liakhovich. Will it be enough to win?

HBO is gonna televise Klitschko vs Austin live during the afternoon & then replay it again with the Briggs vs Ibragimov fight.

It will be cool to see 2 HW title fights on HBO that day.

I think Briggs & Klitschko are big favorites but both underdogs do have a chance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So that's why both are fighting. Austin and Ibragimov drew during their last fights so now they each get a champ. Hmm...interesting. Good thing both are being shown, although I would love to watch Klitschko live.

·
Registered
290 Posts
What channel is it on? Mora and Sultan I mean. I found Ray Austin and Wladimir, but where is Ibragimov?

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
if ibragimov has a chin or can take briggs punches he should win by late ko/tko or points.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
jabutillurdown said:
So who u guys thinks gonna win the Briggs Ibragimov fight

Well if how well Austin stood up to Klitschko is any indicator Briggs should win by KO.
Remember Ibragimov & Austin had a pretty even struggle on ESPN that ended in a draw. Austin dropped Ibragimov in that fight & I think Briggs hits harder than Austin. I do think Ibragimov is better than Austin though.

That being said I think Briggs may have screwed himself postponing the fight & now its rescheduled in Russia. What the hel how does it go from the champs hometown to the challengers hometown :dunno:

Bad move by Briggs letting them move this to Russia.

·
Registered
290 Posts
jabutillurdown said:
So who u guys thinks gonna win the Briggs Ibragimov fight
Briggs's biggest shot is to go for a KO in the first few rounds. After that, he'll get tired from standing up and Ibragimov will run circles around him, probably getting a decision. Judging from Mora v. Ibragimov, if the same happens (Mora gets Ibragimov on the ropes), then Ibragimov won't be able to do the same with Briggs and Briggs will probably nail him unless Ibragimov has lightning reflexes.

Either way, the entire fight will be Ibragimov being forced to dodge EVERY one of Briggs' punches, kind of like a one-hit-kill like we saw with Liakhovich.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You guys are forgetting one thing. This fight will take place in Russia. Briggs has no chance, and I dont mean because Ibragimov is the hometown favorite and politics will have an affect on the fight, but because Russia is in high altitude. That is why Russians are hard to defeat in combat sports, because they have incredible lungs for long endurance and stamina. Briggs was almost dead from lack of air in his last fight. He is too heavy and he is not taking this fight as serious as he should. Matter of fact he was offer $500,000 extra to fight in Russia.

Briggs done **** up. Expect for him to lose and then find an excuse for having had lost the fight.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
da chin checka said:
You guys are forgetting one thing. This fight will take place in Russia. Briggs has no chance, and I dont mean because Ibragimov is the hometown favorite and politics will have an affect on the fight, but because Russia is in high altitude. That is why Russians are hard to defeat in combat sports, because they have incredible lungs for long endurance and stamina. Briggs was almost dead from lack of air in his last fight. He is too heavy and he is not taking this fight as serious as he should. Matter of fact he was offer $500,000 extra to fight in Russia.

Briggs done ***** up. Expect for him to lose and then find an excuse for having had lost the fight.
Briggs has asthma thats why his stamina is not great. I dont know if the fight will last that long to matter.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts