Boxing Forum - Boxing Discussion Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
ricksonbyarmbar said:
despite thinking that i may just be insulted for joining this forum, i would like to hear a rational argument from people like tysonjones who appear to believe that mma requires no skill. i'm reading things like 'anyone can get into a cage and choock [sic] someone out' and i don't know whether to laugh or cry. how many people honestly believe this?
anyone who does believe that high level mma like in the ufc or pride is just street fighting, please, try it out once. go into a jiu jitsu gym and see how 'easy' it is to just choke someone out when you've never trained before. see how 'easy' it is to punch a wrestler when he wants to take you down and you've no training to prevent him. i've never understood this narrow mindset that some boxing fans (and journalists, unfortunately) have about mma, and about how those who participate in it are not real athletes.

as has been pointed out, in a boxing match of course mayweather wins, 999 times out of 1000, easy. but in a real fight, where anything goes - which mma is much closer to (but there are rules guys, for those who think it is just a bar room brawl in there) - then mayweather would be submitting before you could blink. boxing is a great sport, and the top boxers are incredible athletes, but it is nothing like a real fight. in mma, you have to be good at everything - submissions, wrestling, punches, kicks, knees, and on and on. you have much, much more to worry about than just punches. so why is it that some people seem to think that mastering such a diverse background does not involve anywhere near the skill level that boxing does? or, even more extreme, that someone like mayweather would beat a top mma fighter in a 'real' fight and not just a boxing match?

i've read the following analogy elsewhere, but i think it's apt enough to repeat: comparing boxing to mma is like comparing throwing a football to playing quarterback. you could have someone who just trains at throwing a ball very, very far. that person could become the best thrower in the world. but try to put him in there in a football game, when he has to worry about pinpoint accuracy while other guys are trying to tackle him, and he's going to fail miserably. same goes with boxing and real fighting. boxing is just one aspect of it. it may be a fun, interesting aspect, but it is not the only thing, nor is it necessarily any harder or more skillful than any other aspect.
Boxing is real fighting as well

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
dude, just leave and go to another forum, i can talk just as long of post as you can but i am not going to waste my time arguing with you? Choking someone to they pass out of trying to beat someones head in while they are down on the mat, Sounds all easier than trying to find a target and hit it hard enough to knock the guy out. If boxers wore 4 oz gloves like them street fighters do, every fight would end in one round, guarenteed. Go find another forum.

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
and you saw a punch was recorded as hard a 35 mph car crash, thats funny , because when they record mike tyson's punch it came to the same exact measurements, someone is bsing a little.

·
Banned
25,672 Posts
tysonjones said:
dude, just leave and go to another forum, i can talk just as long of post as you can but i am not going to waste my time arguing with you? Choking someone to they pass out of trying to beat someones head in while they are down on the mat, Sounds all easier than trying to find a target and hit it hard enough to knock the guy out. If boxers wore 4 oz gloves like them street fighters do, every fight would end in one round, guarenteed. Go find another forum.
hey lance, as much as i agree with you we cant be asking members to go elsewhere, he has just as much right as me and you to be here. :thumbsup:

·
Team Mayweather
24,365 Posts
it was just a suggestion, but i would like to talk about boxing, not mma or that other crap, There are forums for that **** for a reason. He may have the right to be here but that doesnt mean he should.

·
Registered
146 Posts
tysonjones said:
You're wrong also. It's like comparing pitching a baseball to throwing a football

2 different sports with 2 different skill sets that have simillarity in body mechanics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
no one is BSing on the stats. The discovery channel has no stake in the boxing vs mma arguement. Why dont you watch the show first. Or at least give a link to back up that claim. Would love to see the raw numbers on that.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
Guys if you see the thread title and don't have interest in it then don't click on it. If us boxing fans wouldn't have gotten on this thread and stated the counter points to the mma guy's points then there would have been no possible argument. Had Floyd Mayweather (154 WBC) not been mentioned I wouldn't have looked. That is how to kill MMA threads.

·
Premium Member
22,174 Posts
If I was a mod I would have locked about 5 recent threads that turn into name calling and get COMPLETELY off topic. I would also try to regulate the number of freakin mayweather threads. I like Floyd but am getting tired of all of these new threads about the same thing.
:)
Someone make me a mod!!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
im for it...
your active like a mutha ****a we signed up around the same time and look at ur posts to mine.....
i try and come when i have time at least a couple of minutes out the day

21 - 32 of 32 Posts